M18 - upper bunk issue

rick_h

My last complaint for the day ;)

The upper bunk has an ussue with how the cupboard doors function. They drop down with the slightest pressure because of the design of the factory latch. Our dealer put a sliding latch on it which Heartland might want to consider. In addition to that I plan to make from 1/4 " mahogany and some wood strips, a blank cover so the person on top doesn't sink into the hole.

I am also planning to beef up the support of the top bunk by bracing to the aluminum frame that supports the lower bunk with 6 posts. 100 lb rating isn't going to work for us for too long.

Rick Hulshof

Larry77

I agree that the factory latches are not adequate...we have had to keep the bunk down during towing because otherwise it crashes down because the factory latches do not lock...poor design. We do not use the bunk frequently--usually the kids are in a tent but have used it for our 9 yr old without complaints from her.

It would be great if you could post some pics of your modifications to the latches and the "beefing" up of the bunk itself...I may want to follow suit.