Need measurements on unit for utilities

Midastouch

I am getting ready to make a pad/site for the Grand Canyon ... could someone please give me the location/measurement on where the electric service plugs into the coach and also the water/sewer hookups.....

I would also appreciate any suggestions as to site size .... I have a 20 ft. x 40 ft. area marked off for a pad and after that is in place, we will be placing the power pole with 50 amp service and water, sewer, etc .... would be nice to know where these are located on the coach! Thanks in advance for the info!;)

jpmorgan37

Lynn;
Measuring from the rear of the coach on the off door side, your electric service plug is 20 feet forward, the docking station with water, phone etc. is 22 feet forward and sewer hookup is in the same area. Don't forget, you have a power cord that is roughly 25 feet long (I didn't measure it) so your electrical hookup doesn't have to be there. Your slide comes out about two feet behind your electric service plug. Hope this helps.

John

Wild Wind

Put water, electric (underground and what about phone & TV cable?) at the back driver's side corner of the concrete. Install the sewer in the middle or on the edge of the driveway in case friends come to camp (will they need elcetric too?).
Your only 47 years old, in the last 14 years we have owned 4 different RVs. Now our son stores their RV at our house and now has his own site.
We also are able to pull our unit up to the back door of our house, and have installed electric their too. Many times the RVs will set there for 2-3 days for loading and unloading. GOOD LUCK!

Midastouch

The short story: Selling home and property to my son ... I will have a site on the back acre of said property and will remain there ... in my new Grand Canyon until I either find another place, want to travel down to SW Florida to see the grandbabies and family, or ... travel north to an area outside Detroit, where I was raised, to visit family there! I got a few places to go and stay and the idea of being able to finally do that, is exciting to me! Got a few years before actual "retirement", but the possibilities are endless and no more being tied down, unless I choose to be! :D

Is a 20 X 40 adequate? I planned on burying the electrical/cable/water supply, etc.... Thanks for the info and anything else along that line .... please advise!

jpmorgan37

I would say, more than adequate unless you want a large patio in front of the door. Then I would pour it from the door towards the front, because that's where your awning will cover it. Your door side slide is toward the rear and it sticks out about three feet.

jbeletti

We'd all do it different of course - but attached is my idea on what I'd love to have if I had the space and the $$.

In summary, I went roughly 20' wide x 43' long with a 15' x 18' piece missing.

This slab would give me:

- 1' of concrete past the rear bumper

- 4' of concrete outside the off-door side wall

- 3' of concrete outside the door side wall (I may reconsider with 2')

- 8' of concrete outside the door side wall from the door to past the hitch for use as a patio

- 2' of concrete ahead of the king pin for a tripod (if used)

Another man's opinion...

Jim

Attachments

• Trailer_Slab_Beletti.jpg
    Trailer_Slab_Beletti.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Trailer_Slab_Beletti.xls
    18 KB · Views: 10

Midastouch

Thanks Jim! Looks like a good plan! I have plenty of space (approx an acre) .... now the $$$ part of it is another story! With the info from John about where the utilities, etc... are located, I think we have a great plan to get started.

Thanks again, and of course, we'll take pics when we get it done and show it off.

jbeletti

I made some concrete calculations (which I am not good at) and I called a local concrete yard.

Figuring a 6" depth, I come up with 14.3 cubic yards. I got a price of $106 for a 6-bag concrete mix. So just for concrete delivered for my pad would be $1,511.

Then site prep, forming, remesh, labor to pour, float etc. Yikes! Now, if I owned a bobcat and had a week off work (and had the energy)......

I've attached an upddated worksheet with the yardage and cost calcluations in it. If the calcs are bad, someone please ring my bell!

Jim

Attachments

• Trailer_Slab_Beletti.xls
    19.5 KB · Views: 11

Midastouch

:eek: OUCH! I was thinkin maybe I could cut back some on the thickness of that concrete! I had a co-worker say that a good 3 1/2 inch thick would hold anything I had to put on it! I like that better ... who wouldn't ... but I'm not sure at this point!

jbeletti

I have zero experience in concrete and load engineering so don't go by me. I do know that the wheels are carrying an awful lot of weight on a couple square foot of ground space and at my location, I'd have to back the length of the pad.

Five bag, six bag, 3.5", 4", 6" etc. - I just don't know. I am sure the substrate has something to do with it too.

Looking forward to hearing from those who've done it and how long its held up over the long term.

Jim

jbeletti

Here's some neat power poles. They sell direct too. Probably cost more than the concrete though. The one on the far left - the Powerhouse, is the one in use at the campground for the 2006 rally. I guess for us home users, a good ol' treated 4x4 with a Square D outside rated breaker/disconnect box and a hinged outdoor outlet box with 50 amp receptacle is much more cost effective.

//heartlandowners.org/images/rvparkhookups.jpg

bajaron

Bajaron
where are you parking your truck ??. do you need room in front of the RV for it. Just a question as when i had my boat i parked the truck in front of it.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

HI all
Just a little input on the concrete. A standard 4 inch thick slab will work and hold the trailer fine. I do suggest that you add at least 2 inches of thickness to the side and front edge, also a 5/8" piece of rebar. That way if you happen to drive off the edge it will not break the concrete.
I just put in a 30 x 40 asphalt slab, 4" of bedrock and 3" of asphalt. Cost for prep and putting the material down was 2500 dollars. It was about 1400 dollars cheaper than concrete. check the prices in your area, I am in east tenn.

Wild Wind

4 inches of reenforced 5-6 bag mix is good, on a good strong base. As in everything else, it is the prepration before hand, just like painting. A good base depends on type of ground, drainage, and climate. Concrete will crack and you need to give it a place to crack by place saw cuts about 3/4" deep about every 10'. The major cost is in the prepration!

Midastouch

Thanks for all the info ....

Ground is pretty hard, no problem with drainage in that area and will haul in some clay/sand mix to level the spot ....the climate is getting hotter by the day! HOT, HUMID and DRY in relation to any rainfall! It's going to be a long summer down here in the south! Low 90's during the day already and around 73 or so in the evening! :rolleyes:

I really like Jim's little diagram and may use it ... I had already decided on a 20 x 40 spot but like the patio area. The spot for this site is in a pasture setting, thick green grass (had some horses out there in the past) with pastures on both sides and woods out back and a few trees nearby for afternoon shade, so the setting will be nice once complete .... especially with the Grand Canyon out there!:D