Who else owns a Road Warrior

Re: New Road Warrior

We are considering the RW355 model for our retirement. We've ordered a 2015 Dodge Ram DRW Diesel long box. We are new to fifth wheels and are doing a lot of research. We plan to travel Canada in the summer and US in the winter with two motorcycles in the garage. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

jimtoo

Hi Brianne1973,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure some of our other members will join in soon with some info for you.

Hope to see at a Heartland Owners rally some time.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Firehawg

Hi Brianne1973... 2014 RW390 here. TV 2012 GMC 3500, diesel, ext cab, 4x4, 8' bed. Have only hauled (1) HD Road King in the garage so far. Make sure you get the best tires possible on your RW355 - you'll see there is much debate and many threads about tires. A quality hitch to reduce / eliminate shock and bounce in your ride. I started with a cheaper hitch and when I upgraded what a difference. Load distribution! It's amazing how much easier these beasts tow when weight is correctly distributed. I believe the Dodge now comes with integrated exhaust brake, use it! Secure your bikes well. I recommend a wheel chock for the front wheel. In the past I've used my Condor but I recently mounted it on my lift and bought two Harbor Freight Wheel Chocks (similar to the Condor) to use in the RW.

Good luck and travel safe!

AAdams

Heartland offers a G rated tire upgrade from the factory, I would strongly suggest getting it. Also, like Firehawg mentioned a good hitch. I see he uses the Airsafe 20k, I use the Trailersaver TS3, either one is a very good hitch to help reduce the transfer of motion from the truck to the trailer and vise versa. Since you are in Canada and may travel when it is cooler out, dual pane windows will help somewhat with the temps, and also helps with outside noise. The 6 point leveling is IMHO a must. It creates a much more stable trailer when parked, as well as saves time when setting up/leaving camp. If full timing then a large fridge, unless you like going to the store on frequent trips.

Make sure everything will fit in the garage that you are wanting to put in there since the 1/2 bath is taking up a good chunk of the garage space. We put some cabinets by the washer dryer in our RW390 (12' garage ) and the golf cart barely fit to one side of the cabinets, the cart was longer than the couches that come down.

Heartland's web site does not list the GVWR or cargo capacity, but list (2) 7k axles. Leads me to believe that it will be a 16k GVWR +/- so make sure you will not be over weight with the 2 bikes in back, all your other personal belongings, food, water, added options ( like generator, bigger fridge, more a/c's) etc.

We have 3 a/c's. Ours is wired to run either bedroom/main or bedroom/garage, we use the bedroom/ garage setting the most.

Well I hope this invokes some thoughts. Heartland makes some great products ( we are about to pick up our 3rd Heartland 5'er ). We bought our RW thinking the grandchildren would want to camp, thus the extra beds in the garage. We were wrong, so we are changing back to a regular style 5th wheel and reclaiming OUR space vs a toy hauler ( we don't have bikes, the golf cart wasn't a real necessity ).

Safe Travels, and HOC is always here when you get your rig to answer questions. ( Free membership the first year ).

Thanks for the advice. I'm also having trouble finding the dimensions of the garage. I believe the floor plan has changed and now the half bath is inside the garage. We will need room for two HD motorcycles. It is difficult to decide which TH to get as I hear longer lengths are problematic in some RV parks and we would like a bath and half. Any comments are greatly appreciated.