Make recliners and couch slide easy

Larry.b

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CLarry%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> I have been reading this forum for over a year and a half, and have gotten a lot of good information and ideas. I just completed a little project on my BH 3670 I wanted to share. I know it is a very simple idea that most have already done, but maybe it will help someone. We move the reclining chairs and couch for watching TV. And if you have ever moved them you know how heavy they are. I have solved that by adding a slider under them. The couch was no problem to put sliders under all 4 legs, but the recliners are something else. They have a big round ring on the bottom and nothing for the slider to stick to. I solved that by taking the ring off so it could be drilled and adding a 1 ½“ washer (I think they call them fender washers) to all 8 places on the ring. This allowed me to put a 1 ¾” round slider on it. I used a 1 ¼” bolts that were countersunk into the holes in the washer. Got mine at the local hardware store, but I’m sure you can get them at any home center. Be careful when drilling into the grommets on the ring. I thought they were part of the steel ring, but they are plastic. I guess they could be removed but I wanted to use them so it would give it a little height off the floor. Be sure to clean the washers with alcohol so the slider will stick real well. Now my wife can slide the recliners around without much trouble. I am going to try to add pictures for you to see, I hope they come through. I never put pictures on before.<o:p></o:p>

Attachments

• 100_0594.JPG
    100_0594.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 225
  • 100_0595.JPG
    100_0595.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 193
  • 100_0596.JPG
    100_0596.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 184
  • 100_0597.JPG
    100_0597.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 177

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Good idea! I tried using the larger rectangular sliders just placed under the ring, but you have to get the push/pull angle low to keep them from popping out. We tried changing positions with the couch and chairs, but didn't like the way it closed down the living room.

wdk450

Glue

I glued the sliders to the chair ring using RV (shoe) Goo elastomer adhesive.
So far they haven't come loose.

SilverRhino

Larry;

Great idea! My DW has already discovered how hard it is to move the recliners....showed her your thread.....already wants to know when ours will be done.

skyguy

We tried the sloders and they really do work great!!

A question tho... How does the furniture fare when travelling?? If the sliders are left, I'd worry about movement. Any problems with movement???

Thanks!

JohnDar

A question tho... How does the furniture fare when travelling?? If the sliders are left, I'd worry about movement. Any problems with movement???

Thanks!

My experience with the sliders is it still took considerable force to move the recliners. With them strapped down for transport, I doubt they'll go anywhere unless you schmuck a bridge support. I use them under heavy furniture at home on a Pergo floor. Still need some muscle to move them.

ChopperBill

We tried changing positions with the couch and chairs, but didn't like the way it closed down the living room.

Same with us. After pushing, pulling and grunting to move them around. In 30 seconds we were putting them back. Wonder why it makes so much difference with the same stuff? Personally if we didn't need second bed about twice a year I would invest in one of those neat theater seating couches to replace the fold out couch.

JohnDar

Same with us. After pushing, pulling and grunting to move them around. In 30 seconds we were putting them back. Wonder why it makes so much difference with the same stuff? Personally if we didn't need second bed about twice a year I would invest in one of those neat theater seating couches to replace the fold out couch.

Yeah, we really liked the couch in the back of the trailer, where the recliners were, but the recliners are just too big in the dining table slide. And I'm not interested in buying new recliners just for the size.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Yep! We tried it too and didn't like, and we have smaller Lazy Boy recliners. I think it's because we spend most of our time in the recliners, and when they're in the dining room slide, you cannot even put a small table between them...they are right on top of each other. Maybe if we just had one it would be nice...but neither one of us is willing to give up the Lazy Boy...LOL!!:rolleyes:

JohnDar

Other than the size, we actually like the recliners that came with the trailer. And after a hard day of relaxing, there's nothing like taking a snooze in one with a purring feline in your lap. That's if you can first get the feline out of the recliner without loosing pieces of flesh. Amazing how greedy they can be.:D

Larry.b

Skyguy I'm not sure about movment while moving, because we always strap them down anyway. I don't think they would move even if we didn't. JohnDar is right about the weight and you do have to give a little push to get them sliding, but before it was like ripping the carpet up to make it slide.

svgbar9

I got my sliders yesterday. They sure make it easy to move stuff. Question tho. I am trying to figure out if I can fold my sofa down, then tip it up on back side of arms to fit in the end while moving. Would rather do that if the slides would clear, than move everything around each time.

k-f-Indiana

Larry.b, I'm glad you posted this info about sliders under your recliners. We're new owners and they are SSOO heavy. However, I regretfully plead product ignorance. WHAT ARE AND HOW DO YOU OBTAIN "SLIDERS"? Thanks in advance,

wdk450

Where to get (Teflon) sliders

Larry.b, I'm glad you posted this info about sliders under your recliners. We're new owners and they are SSOO heavy. However, I regretfully plead product ignorance. WHAT ARE AND HOW DO YOU OBTAIN "SLIDERS"? Thanks in advance,

You can get them in the hardware department of WalMart to start with.

jbeletti

Thanks!

Al,

The answer is, the sofa will float :eek: Yep, those slick pads on all 4 corners will allow if to move around. What I do is this:

- Move sofa to travel position
- Place small piece of that grippy shelf liner under each of the 2 front feet

No more "sofa drifting" while under-way thereafter :)

Jim

skyguy

Thanks Jim B, and the others too.

We tried a trip (2 hour drive to our favorite destination) 95% Interstate and paved road, and the last 1/4 mile steep and rough. We left the back sliders on the couch, and it appeared to have stayed put.

I know we have some extra sticky shelf stuff _somewhere_, I'll add a couple pieces for insurance!

Al S