12 volt outlets

jimpav

I'd like to know where the 12 volt outlets are in my 2010 35DSRL. The manual claims they are located throughout the trailer. It would be nice to be able to charge my cell phone and GPS in the trailer.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
jimpav, there "should" be a 12 volt receptacle in the TV cabinet that contains the antenna amplifier. There might be another in the other TV cabinet. I've heard they've done away with these receptacles in some models and because the owners manual is somewhat generic, it may not be 100% accurate. Adding a 12 volt recepticle is very easy to do if need be. Don't you have a 110 charger for your phone?

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
These 12 volt outlets are seemingly going by the wayside. Not totally sure why but we have learned to live without them. But like Ray said they are easy enough to install if need be.

Beware that charging a cell phone or other items may impact your television screen somewhat. I have experienced this. I think that there is "noise" that comes through the wiring especially on the 12 volt side that interferes with the antenna 12 volt amplifier and plays with the TV signal.

My 2-cents

Mark

jimpav

I could not find any 12 volt outlets anyplace. Yes, the TV area would have been a good place. I have an AC charger for my cell phones but not for the Garmin. I can charge all my 12 volt devices another way, but the real issue is to correct the owner's manual as that is supposed to be the source for one's trailer information. There was, I'm sure, a material/labor/cost issue involved along the way not to include them at some point.

Bogger

The biggest "advantage" to having a 12 volt receptacle is you don't need to be plugged in to shore power for it to work. That is a HUGE difference in my book. I have a Coleman power "cooler" that works great to keep beverages chilled. It can work with AC or DC power, so I added a 12volt receptacle in the basement where the cooler stays. I can now have it powered while we are traveling. Works great, and very easy to add.

porthole

Retired
These 12 volt outlets are seemingly going by the wayside. Not totally sure why but we have learned to live without them. But like Ray said they are easy enough to install if need be.

Beware that charging a cell phone or other items may impact your television screen somewhat. I have experienced this. I think that there is "noise" that comes through the wiring especially on the 12 volt side that interferes with the antenna 12 volt amplifier and plays with the TV signal.

My 2-cents

Mark

Cell phones trasmits even when you are not on a call - that way the carrier knows where your phone is (which tower you are near).
That is what you are hearing.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I could not find any 12 volt outlets anyplace. Yes, the TV area would have been a good place. I have an AC charger for my cell phones but not for the Garmin. I can charge all my 12 volt devices another way, but the real issue is to correct the owner's manual as that is supposed to be the source for one's trailer information. There was, I'm sure, a material/labor/cost issue involved along the way not to include them at some point.
jimpav, I think that the owners manual that comes with just about anything we buy has the fine print that say something to the effect of "items and or specifications subject to change without notice". It would not be cheap to reprint everytime something changes. Good change or bad change.

Peace
Dave

2010augusta

Our LM has no 12 volt anywhere. I have thought about adding one, but we have not really needed one in the 8 months that we have been using the trailer so far. If I need the GPS it will charge as I drive to location, or I leave it plugged into to truck and hide it in the console. Our needs as full-timers are quite different than the needs of a weekender, but no 12 volt outlets are okay with us

truknutt

Committed Member
Cell phones transmits even when you are not on a call - that way the carrier knows where your phone is (which tower you are near).
That is what you are hearing.

That and so "the man" can locate you via GPS tracking. That's what my conspiracy theorist forum tells me!! :rolleyes:

wdk450

Another Answer

If you only want a 12 volt outlet for occasional use, and don't want to do a lot of wiring work, you can buy AC to 12 volt power supplies and add a female lighter outlet to them to plug your charger into.

B

bwwalczak

Thank you for your posts. You have noticed already that we have eliminated the 12V female plugs. As a matter of fact, we never used them in this brand and several brands last year stopped using them also.

There are several aftermarket accessories so long as you are connected to shore power.

wazz_zup

My Bighorn didn't have one either. I had a local dealer add one....think it was about $60 parts and labor. They put it by all the other plug-in's and tv amp switch up in the televison cubby. We like to dry camp, so we needed it to charge up the gps/laptop/cel phones.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Our BH came with a 12v outlet, but is really of no use to us. We have not dry-camped all that much, but the few times we did, Elizabeth tried to use her laptop. We have an inverter that she uses in the truck with her laptop, and has no issues with it. The outlet in the trailer did not deliver enough power to use the inverter. It kept beeping and shutting down. My guess is that the wires that they used were not a heavy enough gauge to supply the power the inverter needed.
Fred

B

bwwalczak

Update:

Check the TV outlet in bedroom. There may be a 12V connection next to the TV / Cable jack. The 12V connection would be located on the TV booster.

When working at rv shows, I have used this to charge my cell phone. Let me know if this helps.

blacknugget

12v solution

While this may not be an economical solution, I purchased quality 1000W pure sine inverter with heavy duty cables and battery clamps. I just clip this directly on to the battery terminals and I can run the microwave, charge up laptops/cellphones, etc. Cost for this was about $200CDN. We dry camp a couple of times a year, so buying a genny wasn't the best fit. Plus it's noise free...good in some of the parks. For the few times I need to run a coffee maker, or microwave, this does the trick. I usually have an extra 12V batt in the back of my truck, so I am not draining the main batts on the rig. Been stuck before deep in the bush with dead batteries and trying to get the slides in was no fun (also had a bad converter in the rig - and it wasn't a Heartland rig at the time).