Winterizing the Black Water Flush System

2010augusta

I know this is a odd time to discuss winterizing, but after reading another flush system thread, it just crossed my mind. I carefully winterized our trailer this year, but still had one issue. I did not discover the issue until it was too late. I was flushing the tank (with the gate open) and after a couple minutes had water pouring out the underbelly. It turns out the the air-gap/vacuum-breaker that is mounted behind the shower had broken. The only way I can think that it could have broken is to freeze, but how did it happen if I had winterized, I thought to myself. Then I realized that line has a check-valve on the downhill side, so water is trapped between the check-valve and the air-gap. How how do you winterize this line, as it is not part of the fresh-water system that is serviced by the pump?

Pulltab

Best bet is to get a fitting so you can blow the water out of the line. I am with you, I never ever thought about having to winterized the flush line! Lesson learned!

beardedone

Beardedone
I think you are talking about the black tank flusher that you hook your hose to while dumping the black tank. That line is isolated from everything else and I always blow it out with air (about 30 - 40 psi). I don't know of any other way. Sorry to hear about your trouble, I guess I was just lucky in recognizing the threat when I first got the trailer. At that I just about missed it. I think that Heartland and the dealer missed the boat in not making it more plain that something like that has to be done.

Pulltab

Yeah, if it is in there book I missed it. It should be added and highlighted. Its an easy miss!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Glad I popped onto this thread. I'll add that to my "To Do" list. Might not be a concern, but making sure the drain valve is open might insure the tank doesn't blow up like a balloon.:eek:

Bobby A

I asked this questions a few months back, and the reason why I asked it is because, I just turned in a Montana Big Sky to get this Big Horn, had the Montana for 7 years and always winterized it myself with antifreeze. When I first purchased the Montana the dealer told me I did not have to winterize the black tank flush line. I never once had a problem with the line freezing. It can get pretty cold hear in south east Michigan in the winters. So I wonder why we are supposed to winterize(blow it out with air) this line on the Big Horn ?? I guess I'm a little confused and could you some clarification on this subject.

2010augusta

I asked this questions a few months back, and the reason why I asked it is because, I just turned in a Montana Big Sky to get this Big Horn, had the Montana for 7 years and always winterized it myself with antifreeze. When I first purchased the Montana the dealer told me I did not have to winterize the black tank flush line. I never once had a problem with the line freezing. It can get pretty cold hear in south east Michigan in the winters. So I wonder why we are supposed to winterize(blow it out with air) this line on the Big Horn ?? I guess I'm a little confused and could you some clarification on this subject.

I was posting as more of a warning to others out there. I had not seen anything about winterizing that system in the literature. It was a easy $1.85 to buy a new air-gap, but it took half a day to find a store that had one in stock.

Bobby A

I was posting as more of a warning to others out there. I had not seen anything about winterizing that system in the literature. It was a easy $1.85 to buy a new air-gap, but it took half a day to find a store that had one in stock.

I think we all appreciate the heads up, and you guys are right, there should be a little more talk from Heartland or the dealerships on what to do with this line in regards to winterizing. BTW, where did you find the air fitting ?? I think I may have seen it at camping world, not sure though.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
This is what a friend helped me build to blow out our water lines...

Lineblowoutdevice.jpg

Got the parts from Lowes and it is stronger than any other place I found one.

BC

2010augusta

Bob: I really like that, it is much better then the plastic tire valve stem type the camping stores and wal-mart sell. I will have to build one for myself for use with mine on board air system. Thanks for the idea.

Bogger

If anyone has a home sprinkler system and blows it out themselves, they probably have one of these already made, and even have a valve installed. ;)

Never thought about using it for the new 5'er, but it's good to know it's no longer a single use invention. :D