Drivers License - For 5th Wheel and Truck..

ve1drg

Just wondering if all states and provinces have the same regulation when it comes to licensing drivers that pull trailers over 10,000lbs.

In Ontario a driver that pulled a trailer over 10,000lbs needs an A license or in other words a Tractor Trailer license.

Is this the case in all provinces and States?? If so I bet there are a lot of people out there that will need to upgrade their licenses. Or am I mistaken..??

timdebs

i believe recreational vehicles are exempt in the US. If you are driving a commercial vehicle and the weight is over 26,000 lbs then a class b or class a is required. Too many congressman have recreational vehicles so they did not want to have to get a special license.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Ted, this has be discussed a lot here on the forum. You might type in "license" in the search page. In california, under 10K your class "C" is good, 10K -15K you need an indorsement for your class"C". 15001 and above you need a class "A" non- commercial license. Bob:D

2010augusta

My Tennessee license is good for up to 26,000 lbs and the GCWR of the F-450 is 26,000. I bet there is a reason for this.

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Allen, ya think that law might be for the stupid kids in Calif. Lets see.....1/2 PU + 4012 Cyclone + 80MPH = gonna be ugly. Had one pass me today at 85 in the fast lane on a 4 lane interstate and I was going 60 with the Horn. "Stupid is as stupid does", but it's my life out there too. BTW, in Calif. the speed limit is 55 for trucks and trailers. Bob:D:D

Delaine and Lindy

Does anyone know of any RVer who has gotten a ticket for being over weight in a RV, you know first hand knowledge not hearsay. I think most of the Heavy 5th wheels and the 1 ton Truck Trucks are close or over 26,000 Gross weight (Truck/5th wheel). When we had the Chevy Kodiak 4500 the Truck and 5th wheel had a Gross weight of 27,900 lbs. The 2008 1 ton and the Mobile Suites total weight was 24,400. I haven't weight the Freightliner yet but will when when get hooked up to the 2010 Mobile Suites. I know it will be heavy. I do carry a Class A (CDL) with indorsements. I do know some States are begining to push a different lic requirement, and I expect there will be more States to follow. Just think of the money they can take from us, and waste more money and they get their hands in our pocket. GBY.......

DntDctr

Does anyone out here really believe that we should be able to jump into 18-25k pound monsters without any training? I do it and don't have a problem with it but I always thought it was a little silly for the states to give us the ok to do so without some sort of requirements. We're not all sensible out here.

trvlrerik

I just went to a DOT compliance school for work, this issue came up. I was advised if you are driving any vehicle, or combination of truck/trailer that has a gross vehicle rating over 10,000 lbs. you must have a class A license, UNLESS you are pulling a recreational vehicle or farm implement. The DOT teacher said that the r/v dealers and the farmers have very powerful lobbies so heavy weights do not apply. The only states that make r/vs weigh are Nebraska and Kentucky, they are only concerned about overweight vehicles / axel weights, not licences.

truknutt

Committed Member
My Tennessee license is good for up to 26,000 lbs and the GVWR of the F-450 is 26,000. I bet there is a reason for this.

Alan,

Please tell us your GCWR is 26,000; my F-450 has a GVWR of only 14,500 but a GCWR of 33,000. Don't intend to sharpshoot ya it's just that I notice that some on here are trying to learn this weight stuff and any misspeak really confuses them.

I just had to increase the GVWR on my registration after someone, whom shall remain nameless (dieselengineer) was kind enough to point out the error in my regisitration sticker! :cool: With the Cyclone sparingly loaded the truck's front and rear axle weights totaled 11540 and of course the dealership and I registered it at 11000! So I bumped it up to 14000 and now the Commonwealth will get more of my cash each year..maybe it will help them pass a State budget!! HA!

bigredtruck

In British Columbia, you have to get an endoresement on your license to haul over 10000 lbs. There is a test.
We also just found out that to insure the truck and trailer properly, we have to have the truck inspected at the weigh scales.
We have been looking at semis for the last couple of weeks and were wondering how these 3/4 tons were towing such heavy fifth wheels. Then cam upon an articles that explains (a little bit) about the difference in GVWR and GCWR and pulling a firth wheel vs a travel trailer. So we have put off searching ebay for a freightlinerand will check with whoever we can find so make sure we are safe with the 1 ton. Not an easy task as you can't get a straight answer, but probably cheaper in the long run.

62cwil

I know for a fact in CA you need an endorsement on a regular drivers license if you tow a rig weighing more than 10K. I read about it on a forum a few years ago and checked the CA web site and sure enough if says you do. Several weeks later I took my grandson to the DMV and while there I decided to apply. They had me fill out a form and then take a test only. I passed and now have a Drivers License that has a 10K endorsement for 5th wheel over 10k.

2010augusta

Alan,

Please tell us your GCWR is 26,000; my F-450 has a GVWR of only 14,500 but a GCWR of 33,000. Don't intend to sharpshoot ya it's just that I notice that some on here are trying to learn this weight stuff and any misspeak really confuses them.

I just had to increase the GVWR on my registration after someone, whom shall remain nameless (dieselengineer) was kind enough to point out the error in my regisitration sticker! :cool: With the Cyclone sparingly loaded the truck's front and rear axle weights totaled 11540 and of course the dealership and I registered it at 11000! So I bumped it up to 14000 and now the Commonwealth will get more of my cash each year..maybe it will help them pass a State budget!! HA!

Thanks for the correction. Mine could have a GCWR of 30,000, but I don't know if it has the high capicity tow package or not.

jnbhobe

Hey Truknutt; Did you know that in PA you can get a permenent plate for any trailer over 10,000 lbs GVW. I think its $125 one time fee. Just a thought Thats what I did. JON :D :D :D

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
The only states that make r/vs weigh are Nebraska and Kentucky, they are only concerned about overweight vehicles / axel weights, not licences.

I'm currently in Nebraska and have traveled through several times over the past year & a half. Every weigh station I have passed, has a sign saying "Recreational Vehicles Exempt". I've never stopped and - so far - haven't had a problem.

Delaine and Lindy

I will have permanent plates put on our 5th wheel the next time we have to renew. I didn't know that was possible. I do have permanent plates on my Car and Gooseneck trailer. However if I don't it only cost $14.00 per year. Just transfered my plates from the 2008 Chevy to the Freightliner and it cost $54.00 per year.

I agree there should be training for people to operate any vehicle that tows any RV's and for sure the Motor Homes. Being a one time Truck driver and having Commerical Lic since I was 21 years old there should be on hands training and some Class room training. Smart new RVer's will seek out some form of training. I'm really surprised that State and Local governments have came of with that to get more of your hard owned money.

As for the Gross tow rating on the F450 it was 33,000 lb with the 4.88 rear gear and when Ford stopped putting the 4.88 rear gear in I think Job 1 Trucks they then went and put 4.30 rears gears in to try and raise the fuel mileage. I still couldn't understand how a F-450 had higher ratings than a F-550?? As we all know number are made to be changed. Be Safe. GBY....

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Ted, this has be discussed a lot here on the forum. You might type in "license" in the search page. In california, under 10K your class "C" is good, 10K -15K you need an indorsement for your class"C". 15001 and above you need a class "A" non- commercial license. Bob:D

Hey Bob, (or someone) -

Does CA, or all states for that matter, reciprocate on with each other's licensing laws? Or is CHP sitting in wait at the state line, looking for out-of-staters to cross over so they can check their licenses? After reading posts on here, I've been hesitant to get the urge to drive in Cali! :confused:

wdk450

Out of State Vehicle/DL Enforcement

Hey Bob, (or someone) -

Does CA, or all states for that matter, reciprocate on with each other's licensing laws? Or is CHP sitting in wait at the state line, looking for out-of-staters to cross over so they can check their licenses? After reading posts on here, I've been hesitant to get the urge to drive in Cali! :confused:

What I have heard a number of times on these forums is that the local state can enforce its own rules as to vehicle length, weight,etc., but must observe the originating state's requirements on driver's licensing. I have read postings of overlength vehicles being stopped and impounded upon entering California.

wdk450

Chart not completely accurate in Licensing Column

Every state has its own laws regarding licensing requirements, trailer lengths & weights, equipment required and much more. Here is a link that has a table of requirements: http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

Sir:
This chart is a great reference, but when checking the driver license requirements under California, I did not see the note that a non-commercial Class A is required if your towed rig is over 16000 lbs. i have rfead this in the vehicle code.