TV Tray

K

Ken Washington

Scott,
We were on a trip to Myrtle Beach and as I was showing our unit to a couple who are interested in buying a Landmark, the knob on the TV tray came off in my hand. We spent almost 2 weeks not being able to watch TV in comfort. Called Bill Plemmons and they had no idea how to solve this problem. Called factory and talked to someone in service, he took my serial number for reference and said it would take him 30 minutes to find a solution. He said that he would call back. We haven't heard anything from anyone. I can't remember his name, but I told him my trailer number was 9401. The only way that I can think that we can get the TV tray out is to drill a hole large enough in the board to be able to fish the release cable out. This will require you to supply me with a replacement facial board. Can someone tell me what is behind the small hole where the cable comes out? Scott, do you have any other ideas of how I can get this tray out so that I can replace the knob and be able to pull the TV out?

slaytop

Ken,
I hope you have been patient in waiting for an answer to your question.

The knob on the front of the tray front is on the end of a spring loaded screw. If we let the screw get loose we all will have this problem. The moral of this story is never twist the knob.

I will try to help by giving my perspective from a different model but it should be similar.

Looking at the assembly, there is a bolt that rises from the floor of the cabinet in the center about 12-16" back from the front. The tray latches onto that bolt with a spring loaded clip that releases when the knob is pulled. If you can loosen the bolt from underneath and shove it up into the cabinet then you should be able to pull the tray out. On my unit there is a nut under the tv shelf that holds the bolt. There is another nut above the shelf that keeps it tight and there is one more nut(or head) on the top of the bolt above where it latches. If the bolt spins as you try to loosen the nut, pull on the tray to put side pressure on the bolt. As a last resort, cut it off.

If you can't loosen the bolt or cut it off then I would suggest the following. From the latch there is a wire cable that runs forward to a small "L" shaped clamp. The screw for the knob goes through the clamp, through a spring, then through the tray front to the knob. To unlatch the tray you must somehow pull the cable forward. I would drill a hole upward from underneath the tray and fish for the cable to give it a pull. There's an inch clearance because of the slide tracks.

I hope you are able to fix this problem. Let me know if you were successful.
Larry

slaytop

Ken,
Just one more thought. I discovered when replacing a cabinet door that the finish is not exactly the same as the original because of a different stain lot. You could drill a larger hole through the front of the tray and fish for the cable and then cover it with a decorative washer or use a different knob with a wider base. You'd need to use a fender washer on the back side to catch the spring.

:)

K

Ken Washington

As I see it, there is no way to get to this cable to unlock the tray. I do not want to cut holes in anything but the board on front of the tray. Can someone who has the same tray look behind the area where the cable comes through the facial board and tell me if there is anything that would keep me from drilling a hole to fish for the release cable. I know that the factory has been closed and I would like for Scott to respond when he has time.

Scott

Re-Attaching Cable

Ken,
To re-attach the cable, here are the steps to take:
1. You will need to remove the TV from the slide-out shelf. This should involves taking off the straps that hold the TV in place.
2. Once the TV is removed, you should be able to reach behind and under the sliding shelf to flip the latch that will release the shelf to come out.
3. Once the shelf is slid out, look underneath and you should see where the wire attaches to the latch. There should be a cable or wire guide, and then the latch. It has been described to me as a sort of half-moon or curved latch that the wire hooks to.
You will know when you get the wire in the right position, because when you pull the knob, it will release the catch.

That is the fix. If you are uncomfortable with attempting it, we will need to get you into a repair facility - but either way, it will not involve any woodworking.

ST

K

Ken Washington

Scott,
The TV is inclosed and I can not get to the tie down strap! I tryed to remove the TV but I believe it is attached to the tray. I tried lifting the front of the TV but is feels like more than the strap is holding it. As I said, Bill Plemmons had no idea how to get the tray out. The only part of the TV that you can lay hands on is the front. This would have already been done if it were that easy! I do think it will involve doing something to the facial board.
Ken

Scott

TV Tray Release

Ken,
Then the only way into that area is going to be to take off the panel that runs along the bottom side of the overhead that the TV is situated in; drill a hole through the interior panel just behind where you see a bolt coming through (this bolt is actually part of the mechanism that the wire from the knob hooks to); you should then be able to release the mechanism to get the TV slide to go out - at which point you could re-position the guide wire and re-attach it. You would then have to re-attach the bottom panel in place.
That is the only way to get that TV out without causing damage to the hardwood stiles around the TV cabinet.
Feel free to call me for further discussion.

ST

K

Ken Washington

To all who wants to know,
First you should check and make sure the knob on your TV tray is tight before you have the same problem I had. The quick and easy way that I took was to drill a one half inch hole the same place the knob stem came out of the facial board. I used a coat hanger bent on the end to fish and snag the cable that unlocks the TV tray. Got lucky on third try and the tray was unlocked! Filled hole with dowel and glue, let dry and drilled a hole in dowel for the bolt to come though in same place where it was. Put everything back together and used a little thread lock on knob to prevent this from happening again. You don't see dowel as it is covered by base of knob.
Ken

jbeletti

Great repair Ken. Thanks for sharing the details of the fix. Hope I never have to go through it but I am getting up to check that knob in a couple minutes to make sure it tight.

Jim