Geo caching

Deereguy

We started Geocaching about a year ago on the Texas coast and really enjoyed it. I was looking for something I could do with my 12 year old grandson and this is it. We have had a ball being together and hiding and finding geocaches. I use a Colorado 400t and I am very happy with it. Wish it would warm up so we could get started back again!

sunriverman

Just purchased the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx $249 local retail on sale. Sophisticated unit with all the bells and whistles except radio. Probably way more that I needed for Geo caching. I have all the zip codes of the places I will be over-nighting. Just plug in the zip code when you arrive into the geocaching.com site and up comes sites in the area. Easy to tansfer the waypoints from your computer to your handheld or enter the location manually. Especially fun in the desert as we are headed to Borrego Springs on Monday. Have fun. Rod

We've been at it off and on for a number of years. Still using an old Garmin eTrex Legend. Newer ones are much more sensitive. This past winter while volunteering in Texas State Parks, we found several and the park manager at Fort Parker SP had us place two in his park. It's fun and keeps you moving for sure.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
Trackrock in north Georgia (Blairsville area) now offers Geo-caching. We had a BLAST on Memorial Day weekend with all the other families; some quite the pro's, but mostly newbies and a lot of children. AN ABSOLUTE WONDERFUL TIME! The children made it a very fun experience and they did not even realize they were learning!

dieselsweetheart

We are really, really, new to geocaching....I had never heard of it until my hairdresser started talking about it. We are 1 for 3 on finds....we'd like to get more into it but I think we need to get that handheld GPS you all are talking about. Currently we are using the auto GPS...Garmin Nuvi.... it worked for our one find but maybe we need something a little more detailed. Maybe do some together in Nashville? We could put together a group of interested folks...

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We are really, really, new to geocaching....I had never heard of it until my hairdresser started talking about it. We are 1 for 3 on finds....we'd like to get more into it but I think we need to get that handheld GPS you all are talking about. Currently we are using the auto GPS...Garmin Nuvi.... it worked for our one find but maybe we need something a little more detailed. Maybe do some together in Nashville? We could put together a group of interested folks...
That's an interesting idea. I wouldn't mind doing a "caching" day.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Ray, we could have done that in the Dells. I got hooked on it in TX last winter.
It's fun.

Peace
Dave

Did our first geocaching this weekend in WI with friends. Loved it! Used the Groundspeak iPhone app. Worked great. We are 2 for 2. There were many caches in our CG - but we spent time on the 2 only. Fun stuff.

If a couple people want be the champions for it, it would be fun to do in Nashville. Cheryl? Dave? :)

mesteve

Cheryl, we have used several GPSr's and my wife like the nuvi 650 the best. I have/use an Oregon 400 that I can get wet, but she won't really go out in the rain anyways. When using hte nuvi, we just switch it to off-road mode and use the dashboard. It shows a distance, walk till it starts going up, then turn left or right, which ever way the numbers go down. This works well as long as you are not going for a cache that may have a longer, but easier path to get at it as it will take you on the most direct route. Accuracy is great tho.

It will take a little time for you to compensate for the error inherant with the GPS of some +-10 ft in a clear sky with no trees. Add clouds or some tree cover and that accuracy can drop off quick and you need to use your geo-sense to figure where it will be hiding.

This is 6 years and ~650 finds of experience so I have done it a time or two, have more did-not-finds than I care to admit, and have fun every time.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have been interested in learning to Geo Cache also. I have the 465t which will go abut 3hrs on the battery. I don't know if it has a walking mode, I don't think so but it will have to work. can't afford another hand held right now.

Could someone start a thread for us that have not been caching. I am a member of the GEO Caching website. I would like to see some steps on how to get started.

I have seen some of the photo's that some friends took of places I would never have thought to look for. They told me that they have caches hidden in some very unique places. It was better than having a tour guide.

This is what I would like to do..

BC

dieselsweetheart

Sounds like a great idea...to meet other folks interested in geocaching at Nashville. Maybe we can have a table just for that? I'd like to learn more. So anybody interested bring your GPSs and something small you might have to leave in a discovered cache. I know the general rule is to take something and leave something when you discover a cache.

Jim
I am a member of the geo cache web site. I don't have a GPS to Geo Cache yet.
Which one are you using...

This is one I had been looking at.
Garmin eTrex Legend HCx Color GPS

I want a hand held but I also want one that will give me the altitude.

BC

good, most gps will give the altitude although it is a very good unit it has a very basic map and is not detailed. for the good map software it costs 129-300 dollars.

for you the etrex is not very compatible with geocaching. as you would be constantly downloadin clues, discription, pictures and coments.

what i recomend for everybody is the MAGELLAN EXPLORIST GC wich has altitude, road maps that show you rivers, lakes, streets and even parks. and the map software is very detailed and has the whole world on it. it will also give you 200 of the most poular geocaches on the unit. and a 30 day prenium membership to geocaching.com

AND FOR THE BEST PART. it is paperless geocaching, and that means that your discription, photos, hints and atributes all loaded onto the gps READMORE ONLINE

hope that helped:)

JJnLilly

Without getting into a "mine is better than yours" discussion, get one that suits YOUR needs. I've found that knowing the altitude is not relevant when geocaching as locations are given with coordinates only. I've had an early model Garmin eTrex hand held and it works fine. Have also used other more expensive (with lots of bells and whistles) units and brands. Get what you want to use and are comfortable with.

dieselsweetheart

Can we schedule a geocaching seminar next year in Goshen? I am out of commission right now for this sport but I would like to really get into it when I am fully recovered... others may be interested in learning more about this "sport"!

jbeletti

Can we schedule a geocaching seminar next year in Goshen? I am out of commission right now for this sport but I would like to really get into it when I am fully recovered... others may be interested in learning more about this "sport"!

Sounds good to me Cheryl. We would just need a champion to produce the seminar. Sounds like fun. The team could pre-hide some caches in the CG.

Jim

dieselsweetheart

excellent!!! Thanks! So...anyone with experience in geocaching who would like to lead this seminar....let us know!!! And hopefully by then I will have more experience with it too...