Heat Strip questions???

2010augusta

I keep reading on the forum about A/C's and heat strips. What are heat strips? Are they used to keep the A/C from freezing up? Do they allow the A/C to be used as a heater in cold weather? Are they easy to install in a factory installed penguin 13,500 bedroom unit with a wall mounted thermostat? Do I need one;)? How much do they cost and are they worth it? Tell me all about heat strips.

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
When I put the 2nd AC in the bedroom I went with Carrier and got the heat strip for $65. When I turn it on the fan blows warm air. The heat strip is not used to heat the room, but I use it to take out the chill. I do not use it very often, and I am not sure I would get it again for the extra $. Safe and happy camping to you.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
A heat strip is a strip in an Air Conditioning unit that will heat up and blow warm air. It does not a very good job as a heater and will just take the chill out. It is an add on to an AC unit. Not all AC unit are capable of adding a heat strip. An electric space heater works better IMHO.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
A heat strip is a strip in an Air Conditioning unit that will heat up and blow warm air. It does not a very good job as a heater and will just take the chill out. It is an add on to an AC unit. Not all AC unit are capable of adding a heat strip. An electric space heater works better IMHO.

I agree with jmgratz. We had a heat strip in one of our SOB's but much prefer a small ceramic heater. It oscillates back and forth, has a 2 speed fan and a thermostat. Can warm the bedroom up in a New York minute. Takes a little longer in the living room but still more than adequate for our needs.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Of course with this new rig we have the fireplace in the living room so don't the extra heat there anymore.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Save your money and get a small ceramic heater. Cheaper by far and more efficient. IMHO<o:p></o:p>

Keith

Johnm

I wanna go camping - NOW
I just added a heat strip to my a/c unit myself and it screwed right in. I was told by Dometic that it's a 1500w heater. Heartland was also "nice enough" to have already run the 7 (?) wire thermostat wire for me ... the units without the heat strip only need 6 (I think). Either way, the wire was there and not used until I came along. It came with a new thermostat (it has a heat strip switch setting on it).

I like it and, so far, it's worked well for us. I don't have to worry about my little kids touching it or knocking it over and it doesn't take up floor space. However, I use it to keep the chill away at night when we're all covered with blankets. If it's really cold outside at night, we'll use the furnace to heat the rig. I also like the quiteness of it since you only hear the a/c fan blowing - which we have on most of the time anyway. The furnace fan wakes me up almost every time it cycles on and off.

BTW: I bought and installed it myself because I wanted to save on my propane costs, the other stuff was just a bonus. Also, if I remember correctly, it cost me around $130 from PPL.

Pulltab

I just added a heat strip to my a/c unit myself and it screwed right in. I was told by Dometic that it's a 1500w heater. Heartland was also "nice enough" to have already run the 7 (?) wire thermostat wire for me ... the units without the heat strip only need 6 (I think). Either way, the wire was there and not used until I came along. It came with a new thermostat (it has a heat strip switch setting on it).

I like it and, so far, it's worked well for us. I don't have to worry about my little kids touching it or knocking it over and it doesn't take up floor space. However, I use it to keep the chill away at night when we're all covered with blankets. If it's really cold outside at night, we'll use the furnace to heat the rig. I also like the quiteness of it since you only hear the a/c fan blowing - which we have on most of the time anyway. The furnace fan wakes me up almost every time it cycles on and off.

BTW: I bought and installed it myself because I wanted to save on my propane costs, the other stuff was just a bonus. Also, if I remember correctly, it cost me around $130 from PPL.

Did you install this in the main AC unit that is ducted? Does it blow heat thru the ac ducts for do you have to just open the main vent on the ac panel?

Johnm

I wanna go camping - NOW
I only have one 15K BTU a/c in the living room/kitchen area and that's where I put it. So, yes, it does blow through the a/c duct work. To use the heat strip, all I do is slide the switch on the thermostat to "Heat Strip" (or some such label), and set the temperature, again on the thermostat, and I'm done. It's a very nice and steady gentle heat ... not the quick, loud, short blast of hot moist air from the furnace (which is needed for the really cold times).<O:p</O:p
I leave the "Quick Cool" blast door thing on the a/c unit closed, that way the heated, or cooled, air gets ducted to the front and back of the RV. This keeps the temperature distribution through out the RV more even at night - which means less whinning from the kids :rolleyes:.
<O:p</O:p

Delaine and Lindy

We were going to have C/W install the heat strip, and was advised by C/W that it was very simple install and was more or less plug and play. Most A/C systems have the wiring or the plug in place, and isn't not done by manufactor of the RV. I did install the heat strip, and the cost was under $40.00. The heat strip does help take the chill out. Would I buy again, no I don't think its worth the time and money. We now use the Fireplace in the living area. And the new 2010 will have a Fireplace in the Bedroom, which will be remote control. Good Luck with your choice. GBY...

porthole

Retired
As mentioned previously we have heat strips in both units.

The bedroom unit works very good.
The main unit works OK. The B/R unit is not ducted so you are getting the benefits of all the heat directly out of the vents.

The main unit is trying to heat the ducts too.

I noticed the other morning when giving it a test the the main unit did a better job of sending warm air into the bedroom then it did the main coach.

They work better running the fan on the low position.

Anyone try adapting a digital thermostat to a heat strip equipped unit?