Better Tow Rig For My Cyclone 3950

Rigmover06

We are using our semi retired 1999 Peterbilt 379 Shorthood.
She has 2.2 Million KM on the clock.
3406E Caterpillar 550 HP
18 Speed Double Over
3:70 rear ratios
AT1202 Auxiliary Air Shift Transmission
8" Straight Pipes (Dang Mufflers Fell Off.:rolleyes:)

70" Ultra Sleeper
Has 19" LCD Flat Screen TV in the Bunk
DVD Player
X Box Game System

Attachments

• HPIM2590.JPG
    HPIM2590.JPG
    692.4 KB · Views: 158
  • HPIM2589.jpg
    HPIM2589.jpg
    597.4 KB · Views: 133
  • HPIM2588.jpg
    HPIM2588.jpg
    542 KB · Views: 149
  • HPIM2587.jpg
    HPIM2587.jpg
    549.3 KB · Views: 126
  • P1130009.jpg
    P1130009.jpg
    714.5 KB · Views: 138
  • P1130013.jpg
    P1130013.jpg
    503.3 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
NOW that is a tow vehicle. Want one with black fenders, roof and dark moroon body, except a long nose. A 3406E would work for me also but with a 5X4...that way no one could drive it but me. Like the straight stacks too. Bob:D

Rigmover06

We're game. Cyclone Convoy coming up. And the best part, no running through the chicken coops or running log books.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
OK guys, does that mean if I buy a "large car" for a TV...I have to buy a cyclone??? Bob:confused:

86tjr

Hi Everyone....I emailed another member earlier on this subject, but ask for any other thoughts you all may have.....I'm new to the site. We have one of the new Oakmont models, and as you know it is very heavy at around 16000 pounds. I have an '99 F-350 dually 4x4 automatic, I put air bags on it, and it really bothers me. Yes, shame on me for not being smarter, but I am concerned the tranny is not going to hold up, let alone the braking going down mountains is dicey at best. Others have said the F-450 is the answer, but after seeing what you are pulling yours with (I have a CDL), I am keeping my options open. A brand new truck is not an option, but need one that can handle the weight safely, and where to find one at a reasonable price. I guess I am looking for any suggestions you may have, and greatly appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks....tjr

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Those trucks are so plush it looks like an RV pulling an RV, LOL Don't have to worry about weight issues.

88tjr - My 99 Ford F350 just 'gave up the ghost' after 235000. Never had any transmission problems. The rear end gave out once and the motor finally blew head gaskets and a couple of rings. Our Landmark is 16400. We ended up with the new F350 dually. It has the tow/haul transmission. Our 99 did not. You might look around for an F450 if that is what you want. I did find a used one with 49000 miles on it in Brenham Tx for $37500.

86tjr

Jim,

Thank you for your response and info. Does the tow/haul transmission basically just take it out of overdrive? I do have that, but going down a mountain the braking is a problem with the weight. I don't know if exhaust brake installation would work or not; many say they do along with the different kinds there are. It sounds like we have similar weight ranges, so it would be nice if I could make mine work. I'm not sure about the rear-end, but it seems fine. I'm obviously looking for safety also pulling into the north Georgia mountains, so this is why I am asking you experts :) on what is the best way to go based on your experience. Thank you again.....terry

jnbhobe

Tow-Haul mode in the torque-shift transmission changes the shift points on the upshift and down shifts to help with braking works a lot like the allison tranny in the GM trucks JON:confused::confused::confused:

jmgratz

I also had a complete Banks system with the Banks exhaust brake on the 99 Ford. The exhaust brake is a must have if you have an automatic without a Tow-haul mode.

Rigmover06

Hi Everyone....I emailed another member earlier on this subject, but ask for any other thoughts you all may have.....I'm new to the site. We have one of the new Oakmont models, and as you know it is very heavy at around 16000 pounds. I have an '99 F-350 dually 4x4 automatic, I put air bags on it, and it really bothers me. Yes, shame on me for not being smarter, but I am concerned the tranny is not going to hold up, let alone the braking going down mountains is dicey at best. Others have said the F-450 is the answer, but after seeing what you are pulling yours with (I have a CDL), I am keeping my options open. A brand new truck is not an option, but need one that can handle the weight safely, and where to find one at a reasonable price. I guess I am looking for any suggestions you may have, and greatly appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks....tjr
86TJR,
Welcome to the Heartland Family first off,
The only reason I am using my OTR Peterbilt is just because it was there/here sitting idle.

It is nice for running the hills out here in BC. I drop a half a gear and pour the coal to her. A F450 or 550 would a way or the little single axle Freightliner M2 would also do the trick. They come with a 3126 Cat, 6 speed Allison tranny and a Pacbrake.
It also depends on what one can afford as well.
I don't regret in the least putting a brake controller in the cab of my truck and using it for long trips with our 3950.
Best of luck and talk to you later..
Dan & Co.:D

porthole

Retired
Tow haul modes typically raise the up shift and downshift rpm level as well as locking the converter more often. In the GM the tow haul locks the converter from 2nd through 6th. This allow the engine to work more efficiently and allows the use of the limited engine braking available in the diesels

86tjr

Thank you all for the information. My current set-up does not have an exhaust brake, and looks like it could be an option. It appears moreso after looking at different sites and the forum overall (in addition to your suggestions) that a 450, 550, or Freightliner single axle would make things much safer, and certainly easier vs possibly tearing up my F-350. Realistically, looking at the trailer GVWR (16550), and the tag on my dually of the combined axle ratings at about 12000 lbs, I know the published numbers I see that the 20000 GCWR I am to say the least exceding. As I mentioned, besides not wanting to have a tranny or rear-end fall out going up a steep grade (ouch), the safety factor is more important. If you have a Freightliner or of this nature, has anyone had problems with D.O.T., even though RV's are exempt? I have a CDL, but wonder if you are still stopping at the scales pulling an RV, or maybe in certain areas. Just wondering. Thanks again......terry

Rigmover06

RV vs DOT

Depends on the location. I found out this run that Alberta does not require me to run through the scales.BUUUUTTTT BC does require me to run through. My registration shows me registered as a RV and my license plate is a non commercial plate but because of my GVW and my commercial configuration as they called it requires me to run through and wave on the way thru.

Not sure about the states just yet but will let you know this fall. :D

jmgratz

l have been in all 47 of the 50 states with the RV (haven't rved in Hawaii, Alaska or Washington state) and have yet to go through a scale. Haven't seen any place that required you to.