And so it begins

porthole

Retired
This season we started using the central vac more. We have been using a small Eureka upright and it works very well, but.........

One thing I don't like about the installation is the venting into the void behind the basement wall.
Not to bad unless you are vacuuming up after a few Golden Retrievers. Doesn't take long to have the great "dog smell" permeate the cabin.

And an FYI for ya - don't use the central vac to vac up stink bugs :rolleyes:

So, I ordered up some parts and a muffler kit from http://www.centralvacuumfactory.com/

The muffler helps quiet down the exhaust quite a bit. Still get the high pitch noise from the motor though.
I added the muffler a couple of elbows some flex hose and a wall discharge.
The vac now vents to the ODS above the water heater.

1st pic is the muffler (black object between the the two upturned white elbows).
2nd pic is shows the gray flex hose going up and over the sanitation pipe, then down towards the outside wall. I did this to get a "to the outside" slope in case any water makes it way in from the road.
3rd pic is the new vac outside discharge.

Attachments

• Central_vac_outside_1.jpg
    Central_vac_outside_1.jpg
    571.9 KB · Views: 582
  • Central_vac_outside_2.jpg
    Central_vac_outside_2.jpg
    565.4 KB · Views: 561
  • Central_vac_outside_3.jpg
    Central_vac_outside_3.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 544

Noobie

Mr. Porthole,

I was wondering if you can pm me more detail about putting an awning switch in the basement. I have zero electrical skill so please talk to me like I'm a 5 year old lol

Thanks Tim

porthole

Retired
Hey Tim, not sure I would let a 5 year old do electrical work in my trailer ;)

That post is all the way back on page 2 of this thread.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=93541&viewfull=1#post93541

I don't remember exactly what i did, so when I get a chance I'll pull the switch and take pics of the wiring.
What I recall is the new switch in the basement is a "double pole-double throw", as is the switch I added under the awning control.
I might have just tapped onto the existing awning wires and used the interior switch to control which awning switch actually got the 12 volt positive feed.

porthole

Retired
Tim,

This is not how I wired mine, but is similar. Not sure if this wiring will work with mine because of the motor brake.
My awning is a "Carefree". What brand do you have?

Attachments

• Awning DPDTparallel switch.jpg
    Awning DPDTparallel switch.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 290

Noobie

Dometic but I think I'll just wait and have a buddy do it cuz that pick looks Chinese to me lol like I said zero electrical skill

porthole

Retired
When I first looked at I had to think for a moment too :rolleyes:. And like I said, that wiring doesn't work for me. Maybe the person who sent me that will pop in with his brand of awning.

Vtxkid

Hey Duane, the receptacle outlet you installed into your entertainment center... is that an RV style receptacle or standard setup?!? If its a RV receptacle, do you remember where you purchased it from?!? I have been looking on line and they don't seem to be to popular...

porthole

Retired
Jerry - RV type. Got them while out in Goshen at the RV Surplus Outlet stores (there are two surplus outlets).

I'm pretty sure though that there was enough room in the void to install a standard household receptacle.
I ran 12/2 to make it a 20 circuit because of the heater, which is the primary use for that outlet.

Last edited:

Vtxkid

Thanks Duane, I'll keep looking because I might install one or two more down the road...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

travis_g

Duane,

These mods are great, I read this thread from beginning to end today and now have a long to do list. Keep 'em coming!

jimtoo

Hi travis-g,

Welcome to the posting side of the Heartland Owners Forum.

You have made yourself a big list if your going to make all the mods Duane has posted. But have fun making your Road Warrior your own customized toy.

Jim M

porthole

Retired
Gave up with the wet carpet (and wood) and mold and ripped out the left side toolbox framing.

I still have not found where the water is coming in, but it is not getting past the water dam I put in.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=135046&viewfull=1#post135046

From the opposite side I could see that it is in there and well sealed.

What I am now thinking is that water is getting above the J-wrap from "somewhere" and the carpet is wicking it up. The carpet was again soaked and the after pulling it out I could see that the OSB side boards were damp and moldy. The bottom board was soaked and with mold.

I found PVC trim at home depot, 1/2" thick by 11 1/4" x 8', $40 for two pieces.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda-...-Fascia-White-H120WWS1/203733425#.UXqiJkoTT-t

More to follow

porthole

Retired
Haven't decided yet whether to paint the outer board yet. The rest of the new pieces are painted Rustoleum satin black. I put a marine style grate on the bottom in case any moisture does still get in.

Attachments

• Tool_box_1.jpg
    Tool_box_1.jpg
    657.2 KB · Views: 462
  • Tool_box_2.jpg
    Tool_box_2.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 443
  • Tool_box_3.jpg
    Tool_box_3.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 445
  • Tool_box_4.jpg
    Tool_box_4.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 432
Last edited:

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Looks good Duane,

I look forward to seeing this "mod/repair" when we are in Gettysburg. I know that it will not be long before I need to do the same to my rig ...

Kevin

porthole

Retired
Looks good Duane,

I look forward to seeing this "mod/repair" when we are in Gettysburg. I know that it will not be long before I need to do the same to my rig ...

Kevin

Kevin, if your bottom board is damp, I would venture to say the OSB is soaked and you will have mold somewhere in that box.

What I don't get is that there are several 3010's on the forum here that seem to have this water issue but only on the left side. Both sides have the well and appear to be trimmed out the same, with the exception of the diamond plate cover.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Kevin, if your bottom board is damp, I would venture to say the OSB is soaked and you will have mold somewhere in that box.

What I don't get is that there are several 3010's on the forum here that seem to have this water issue but only on the left side. Both sides have the well and appear to be trimmed out the same, with the exception of the diamond plate cover.

Duane,

I believe that the water is coming from the UDC not the outside... I know that I always have water in the UDC base when hooked up to city water... I've thought about putting in a drain line in the UDC to allow the water to escape and not wick over to the tool box..

Kevin

porthole

Retired
That section of the UDC was sealed some time ago on mine.
Had also replaced that weather stripping and I filled the gap between the door frame and the outer wall of the box with silicone (bottom edge). I am pretty sure by now that the water is coming "up" via wicking"