And so it begins

porthole

Retired
One of the fun parts of RVing is personalizing our rigs. You're doing a great job. Keep up the posts.

Ah yup, sure is, just ask my wife - I don't leave anything alone :D

I see you have a GR, we have two. Let them in the trailer for the first time the other night - back and forth from one end to other for 15 minutes - checking it all out.

Here is one of them wondering if it is safe to go through the door

Attachments

• D30_4828.JPG
    D30_4828.JPG
    493.4 KB · Views: 850

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Very nice mods porthole. Thank you for sharing. Makes me want to start another list of things to do.

Mark

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I like having a gate on the end of the pipe, especially since one of my grey tank valves leaks :confused:

I thought about just cutting the end off and gluing on a new gate because I was concerned about the twist on units just falling off. Others on the site have said they have never lost one.

So I added the twist on but then wrapped in in "Rescue Tape". If you haven't seen this stuff look for it a RV, boat shows etc. It is a self bonding silicone tape used for repairs. Great for a leaking pipe-hose etc.

This stuff should keep my valve on. And if the valve has to come off the tape can be easily cut off.

Now that's a use I haven't yet seen for our product...:D We've been distributors for four years, mind if we use that in our demo at RV events???

Yianni

Are you also using the gate to tie your two gray tanks together?
I've read in other posts you can use this valve on the main drain to force gray water from the full tank to the less full. Will this work on the 3010?
Thanks!

porthole

Retired
Using the gate to tie the tanks together or to "dump black, close gate - open grey - close grey - open black" etc.

Use some of the grey to flush the black. Could also just leave both grey tanks open and the gate closed to fill them both equally.

Yianni

Do you need 2 gate valves to tie the 2 gray tanks together? If you open both gray tank valves to allow them to spill into each other I assume you will need a gate for each tank.
Thanks!

porthole

Retired
Grey #1, grey #2 and black are all plumbed to the same discharge on the 3010.
Each tank has it's own gate valve.

porthole

Retired
I don't care that much for the supplied "kidney bean" table and posts that are supplied with these trailers.

So while in Elkhart I also found a dinette table (with a storage bin) and a couple of chairs. With The extra fabric I got I recovered the chairs. When I have the time I will also make the chair a storage unit (flip up seat).

Attachments

• D30_4900.JPG
    D30_4900.JPG
    547.7 KB · Views: 988

jbeletti

Nice upholstery job Duane. table looks very nice as well. Did you keep the kidney table for the garage area?

Thanks for sharing all your mods. I know you have more to share ;)

Hope you've been in touch with Mike A and Coley on your standard items change ideas. I passed some on already myself.

Jim

porthole

Retired
N

Did you keep the kidney table for the garage area?

Yes, it will make a good "bar" :D
We are keeping it stored on the upper bunk.

Thanks for sharing all your mods. I know you have more to share ;)

I do and I will.

Hope you've been in touch with Mike A and Coley on your standard items change ideas. I passed some on already myself.

No, not yet. We are back out on the road - in the pinelands of New Jersey right now. I am keeping my list though.

porthole

Retired
Don't think I've posted on here that while the trailer was still in Elkhart I took it over to Mor/Ryde and had the Independent suspension and disc brakes installed.

Realize that I never really tried the trailer before these 2 options were installed and it is only about 4-5 miles from the service center to Mor/Ryde).

I now have about 1500 miles on the trailer. It would seem that the trailer rides great. Although it does seem to have a bit of up and down motion at the rear (from what I can see in the mirror).

Nothing has broken yet and everything seems to stay in place. I have already got in the habit of not tying some things down.

The table you see in the above pictures has never been secured. All I do with that is put 2 pieces of a "non-slip" shelf liner under 2 of the legs.

As for brakes - 5 stars. Although I can't lock up the trailer brakes they do a fantastic job. I also have not tried with full power yet.

I have now done two trips in the hills of Pennsylvania and have been on a 14% grade twice. The brakes work great.

Since the disc brakes use standard GM pads I found that I am using the trailer brakes more and more (using the control lever). Since the pads are common and very easy to change I am not concerned with wear as much as I was with the amount of work and cost involved with the standard trailer drum brakes.

I haven't found a hill yet that the trailer brakes alone will not slow the tow down in an almost normal decel rate.

This past trip I increased the bias a little bit more and stepped up the "boost" to level 3. With these settings you know the trailer is there but it seems like it stops like it isn't. This setting actually is too much for stop and go city driving.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Duane
I agree, the disk brakes are great. I have the maxbrake controller (connects to the master cylinder on the TV). This is a real sweet setup. I am happy I also install 1/4 brake tubing, no braking delay at all. With the maxbrake controller and the disk brakes, the braking is very smooth, everywhere, in town, OTR, down hill, etc. The best mod hands down.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Duane
Your delay maybe the brake controller. I don't know how a non maxbrake / brakesmart type controller would work with my setup. Anyway, the brakes are great and it really saves on the truck's service brakes. I came back from greenwood furnace state park a few weeks ago. There is a real steep mountain to go over with three hair pin curves. The last and tightest one at the bottom, go figure ... PennDot. Other years, with the old drum brakes, it was a white knuckles ride and hope there was no one on the last curve. This year there was a vehicle on the last curve to avoid, without the disks, it would have been to say the least, an issue.