Retired Law Enforcement

rick_debbie_gallant

Actually I had to work three jobs just to put food on the table. Now if I can just manage to keep the food there (fresh roadkill is good in a stew) without my DW finding out whre it came from I should be able to keep my scalp.

rick_debbie_gallant

Hey John, I took some USAR training a number of years ago. Dont think I could squeeze into a 22 inch tube now though. Wifes cooking is better than in the firehouse. No wait, I can finish a meal now without the bells going off. Would have gotten into the hazmat stuff but it was time to retire. BTW do you remember ART? (Tark----I

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Hey John, I took some USAR training a number of years ago. Dont think I could squeeze into a 22 inch tube now though. Wifes cooking is better than in the firehouse. No wait, I can finish a meal now without the bells going off. Would have gotten into the hazmat stuff but it was time to retire. BTW do you remember ART? (Tark----I

Sorry, Rick, my memory is shorter than....well, you know. I don't remember ART. USAR has sort of imploded down to being primarily GBFD. HazMat is kind of in a holding pattern, at times. Do get to work with some FFD folks on the calls, though.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
A reminder to all Texas Law Enforcement (retired) you have until Aug 31 to finish your TCLEOSE training to keep your license active. I cked today and found I needed 1 more hour, so I finished it online. Remember all you have to do to keep your license is keep your inservice current, you don't have to be working for an agency. You can do your inservice online.

talley

Two Hands... my first stint in law enforcement was with the USAF in the Air Police for four years (1958-1962). First duty station was Vandenburg AFB near Lompoc. Really enjoyed my time there. Remember the flower fields at Lompoc and revisited the area a year ago. The main gate at Vandenburg has not changed since I worked duty there 50 years ago... ??? 50 years.... my how time flys when you'r having fun!!

First civilian law enforcement agency in 1969 at Victoria, Texas and spent 21 years with the department... retired 1991 as Chief of Police. Following retirement completed Masters Degree at Texas State and intended to teach at a college. Found out that police lieutenant at a large communty college in Houston paid more than college instructor and worked there as lieutenant, chief of police and finally director of safety until second retirement in 2004.

Lots of challenges and memories... good, sad and bad.
FBINA 121st Session

TNT

Albuquerque Police 20 years. Had a wide variety of good jobs, including teaching DARE, traffic, horse unit and traffic again in an unmarked camaro! Currently own my own business painting homes and travelling with my wife when we can!

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Yeah Jim, and now I noticed that he has been banned. I don't know what he was referring to either.

talley

USA Lawyers Today

USA Lawyers Today appears to be a legal form website. This guy is probably one of the fringe element who thinks he can complete his own carry permit by disclaiming citizenship and setting up his own country. Webpage probably has a form to do that:rolleyes: !!

Oops!!! Now I will have to change my screen name..... fly low!!:eek:

Cyncwby

Here's some info that some of you retired cops may or may not know about in regards to CCW. I've been retired 6 years, my Dept gave me my retirement I.D. card w/ CCW rights good for 5 yrs. Then I had to shoot and qualify to get it renewed for CCW...but this time only for 1 yr.....have to re-qualify every year now. So just to cover my bases (and my butt) I also got a State of Utah CCW card which is good in 34 states.

Now the info.... The 107th Congress introduced the "Community Protection act of 2001".... the House of Representives (H.R. Bill 218) ..... "To ammend title 18, United States Code, to exempt qualified current and former law enforcement officers from state laws prohibiting the carrying of concealed handguns" ........

There are some regulations, restrictions, and provisions regarding this bill, if you retired on a "psycho" or "rubber gun squad" then you're S.O.L. I printed out the 3 pages of info and carry it in my truck.....just in case, even though I have the other CCW permits. So if you don't know about it just google ....H.R. Bill 218 and read for yourself.........Dave

jimtoo

I deleted the copy of the original post. OP of that was from India. Now, lets get back to original intent of thread.

Thanks to all you guys and gals that help protect and keep us safe. :D

Jim M

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Here's some info that some of you retired cops may or may not know about in regards to CCW. I've been retired 6 years, my Dept gave me my retirement I.D. card w/ CCW rights good for 5 yrs. Then I had to shoot and qualify to get it renewed for CCW...but this time only for 1 yr.....have to re-qualify every year now. So just to cover my bases (and my butt) I also got a State of Utah CCW card which is good in 34 states.

Now the info.... The 107th Congress introduced the "Community Protection act of 2001".... the House of Representives (H.R. Bill 218) ..... "To ammend title 18, United States Code, to exempt qualified current and former law enforcement officers from state laws prohibiting the carrying of concealed handguns" ........

There are some regulations, restrictions, and provisions regarding this bill, if you retired on a "psycho" or "rubber gun squad" then you're S.O.L. I printed out the 3 pages of info and carry it in my truck.....just in case, even though I have the other CCW permits. So if you don't know about it just google ....H.R. Bill 218 and read for yourself.........Dave

That is the Federal permit. You have to renew it every year and qualify just as if you are an active officer plus the head of your agency have to certify you able to carry and basicly authorize it. That is the one I have as well as the state Concealed Carry license.

Mariposa

Chp

Almost made it to 30 years as a California Highway Patrolman. Worked mostly in a small gold mining town in the foothills of the Sierras in central Calif. Some time, was also spent working in San Francisco, and north San Diego County. After retirement, had a hobby job, 8 years in politics, and then went full timing.
Police and Fire work is a young mans job. I appreciate the younger people doing the work. I know how dangerous it can be. Be safe and come home at end of shift.
Now my wife and I can both sleep at night, knowing who is out there.

Bill1374

The intention of 218 was great but the practical is not. Here in NY, (I know) ******************* very few agencies are offering qualifications for the retired guys. It appears at this time that my agency has no intention of ever providing qualification time for the retired guys.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator: