Purchasing from US to Canada

Napad

Hey all...very happy I found this site!
I am from Ontario, Canada.
My wife and I are about to the Eagle (Elk) Ridge 34QSRL.

Through my due diliguence in researching before this large purchase, I have now noticed this trailer is significantly lower in cost if we purchase this from the USA than Canada.
What I was hoping was to find out if there was anything I should know before going ahead. I don't want to fall into some pitfall if I do purchase this in the USA and bring it back to Canada, then to find out there is much more to it than this..

Any advice or experience in this would be greatly appreciated!!

Dan

beardedone

Beardedone
There was an extensive thread on this a number of months ago. You should research it and I think most of your answers will be answered. Let us know how you make out and welcome to the forum.

geeksrus

The Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) is the body that regulates the importation: http://www.riv.ca/
Review their regulations prior to purchasing your unit.
We imported our 5er 2 years ago & as our dealer understood the regulations it was a snap at Canadian Customs - just paid the GST & the RIV fee & on our way in 30 minutes or so.
As our unit was ordered as a CSA unit we did not have to have the Canadian inspection done.

Eh!

kavephish

I am also going to be purchasing south of the 49th...found a TT that was 30G's in Canada going for $20G at a dealer in Michigan. The salesman stated they do all the paperwork required to import the unit into Canada. Says the unit comes with ULC stickers/labels on everything, and/or can get the canadian equivalent inspection stickers no problem if ULC rating is not good enough (used to be stuff needed to be ULC OR CSA approved for insurance purposes). GST/HST applies, but you'd be paying that in Canada anyway. No duty on North American made trailers.

OurBella

This answers and confirms a lot of questions for us as we purchased an MPG 181 when we were in Florida and are planning on picking it up & bringing it back to Ontario, Canada in May. Our Florida dealer is preparing the paperwork for Canada Customs for us.

noobee

This answers and confirms a lot of questions for us as we purchased an MPG 181 when we were in Florida and are planning on picking it up & bringing it back to Ontario, Canada in May. Our Florida dealer is preparing the paperwork for Canada Customs for us.

Make sure you contact RIV to see if the unit is importable & that you follow their guidelines before you bring it in.

CS

Duramax1

You should be aware that many individuals who have imported trailers have experienced problems with getting service /repairs performed.

Many dealers will put you at the bottom of the list for appointments if you have not purchased your rv from them and during the summer months I have witnessed some people be wait listed for a month or two.

To be on the safe side, you should contact the dealer you are most likely to use for repairs and determine how quickly they will respond to any request for service. You might be lucky and, but at the very least you will know in advance of your purchase if you are likely to experience a problem.

beardedone

Beardedone
I bought mine some distance from home because of price and when I did need warranty work I went to a Heartland dealer that did not sell the model I bought. They seemed to look on that a little differently when I said it was the floorplan I bought, not any thing against them.