Thread: GAWR Placard Tire Pressue vs Tire Sidewall

1. Print this Post   #1
    2008 Big Country 3250 TS

GAWR Placard Tire Pressue vs Tire Sidewall

Greetings.
    Need some clarification as to correct inflation pressure for the Mission tires on our 3250 5ver. The GAWR Placard states the tire pressure as 90 PSI cold while the tire sidewall states "MAX LOAD 3450 LBS at 80 PSI COLD MAX". Which is the correct inflation pressure?
    Curt and Dee
    Leonardtown, MD
    2004 Duramax 2500HD
    2008 Big Country 3250 TS

2. Print this Post   #2
    Original Owners Club Member jmgratz's Avatar

Go with what the tire sidewall says to be safe.
    Jim & Sheila Gratz - owners club #1018 Workamping as Sales Associate with SE Publications Certified RV Walk-through Technician [/I] 2013 Landmark San Antonio - full body paint - Fulltimer pkg, Yetti pkg etc., Mor-Ryde IS with never lube bearings and disc brakes. --previous 5er - 2007 "Classic" Landmark "Golden Gate" Replaced 9/20/13 2012 Ford F350 King Ranch Crew Cab fx4 dually, 6.7 L Husky Trailer Saver TS2 hitch "visit TEXAS - it's like a whole 'nuther country" Rally Site 414

3. Print this Post   #3

Tire sidewall marking always takes presidence over placards on vehicles. Placards in many cases have wrong information.

Forrest

4. Print this Post   #4
    bwwalczak

Thank you for your post.

The responses are correct. Sometimes our placarded information is incorrect. The information on the tire is correct.

5. Print this Post   #5
    2008 Big Country 3250 TS

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately this guidance is too late....I've been using the placard the same way you would with a car or truck's placard and have unknowingly ruined a set of tires due to over-inflation. My bad....
    Curt and Dee
    Leonardtown, MD
    2004 Duramax 2500HD
    2008 Big Country 3250 TS

6. Print this Post   #6

I really don't think you can ruin something that already has a bad rap. Take my word for it: REPLACE THEM, before it's too late.
    Kevin & Celeste
    2014 3950FB
    Both Retired USAF

7. Print this Post   #7

Mine was Under Inflated

Quote Originally Posted by cd3250 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately this guidance is too late....I've been using the placard the same way you would with a car or truck's placard and have unknowingly ruined a set of tires due to over-inflation. My bad....
    I have a BH 3670RL, 16,000 lb GVWR. My tire sticker says "80 PSI" while the tires say "110 PSI". When I took possession of the rig the tires were inflated to 80 PSI. I now have the tires inflated to 110 PSI.

I thought this sticker was to comply with NHTSA regulations, and needed to be accurate.
    Bill Knight KJ6TBE
    Retired 40 Year Hospital Biomedical Electronics Technician
    Former State Chairman (2000) California Medical Instrumentation Association (CMIA)
    2008 Bighorn 3670RL
    My Bighorn Upgrades
    See:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

2004 Dodge RAM 3500 Cummins 5.9
    B-D Exhaust Brake
    Ride Rite Air Bags
    Valvoline 15-40 High Mileage Diesel Oil
    XDP Diesel Power Plus Fuel Additive

At a Thousand Trails in Southern California

21 Heartland Rallies I Have Attended
    See: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_PRxlhCp1l7IXgiVIBJmCtX3viJ9NaykR8_b81W9CVU/edit?usp=sharing

Thousand Trails Elite Membership

Support this Forum! Join the Heartland Owners Club at the "Owners Club" Tab at the top of this Page!!!
    Remember The USS Liberty . . . Read: http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig/margolis12.html
    "The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth"

8. Print this Post   #8
    Original Owners Club Member jmgratz's Avatar

Just as example. The placard on the Police cars we used said to inflate the tire to 32 psi. The tire sidewall said 44 psi. Big difference. I have actually see Police car tire roll off the rim at 44 psi. Just think what they would do at 32 psi. We always used the sidewall pressure. The placards on the cars and trucks are there for the softest, most comfortable ride. The dealer where I bought my new truck had the tires at 50 psi for a softer ride. When I pumped them to 80 psi where they are supposed to be there was a huge difference in ride, but the truck handled much better.
    Jim & Sheila Gratz - owners club #1018 Workamping as Sales Associate with SE Publications Certified RV Walk-through Technician [/I] 2013 Landmark San Antonio - full body paint - Fulltimer pkg, Yetti pkg etc., Mor-Ryde IS with never lube bearings and disc brakes. --previous 5er - 2007 "Classic" Landmark "Golden Gate" Replaced 9/20/13 2012 Ford F350 King Ranch Crew Cab fx4 dually, 6.7 L Husky Trailer Saver TS2 hitch "visit TEXAS - it's like a whole 'nuther country" Rally Site 414