5th broken overhang

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I say this because we were in the EXACT same situation. We had the cracks, the sagging, etc.

Heartland and Lippert looked at the picture and assured us it was safe to tow. We had the dealer close up the front to keep it water tight, and we towed it from Texas to Elkhart...everything was no worse for the wear when we arrived.

Heartland took care of our unit and made it BETTER than new, and NOT one thing in writing, just their word...sometimes you just have to have some faith in people and their integrity! But to each his own....JMHO

talley

Being retired I could make the trip... I understand that some are still holding down jobs and would be unable to devote the time that it would involve. That being said... I would rather had the factory fix the problem than a dealer!!! I would have no problem taking a verbal confirmation on the telephone. However for those who prefer to "have it in writing"; establish e-mail contact with the rep and make an appointment/discuss the issue and repair. I have found that they like e-mail.

PS - opinion... not to be considered legal advice!:D:D

biggziff

I don't see where the OP was trying to "deal with the issue" here. They were using what is supposed to be an unbiased, public forum to review a problem. They probably had hopes of finding others with similar situations (or better yet find no one else with the same issue) to see how their repair went as well as make others aware of a possible area of interest. Using that data as a gauge, they could then know more about what to expect with their situation.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to ask for the commitment to repair in writing. It's a long trip, with a damaged vehicle in tow. If something were to happen on the way that caused damage to other property it could get messy for the OP quickly. Suggesting that someone can trust a third party based on another person's experience is fine, but it's opinion and will be cold comfort in the event things go sideways. I understand we want to trust, but don't be put off if someone else doesn't feel the same way.

The OP states that he has contacted the dealer and Heartland...several times and seems to be frustrated that they have waited over 6 weeks for a reply. In some areas of the country, 6 weeks is more than 50% of your entire camping season. How would you feel if your 2 year old, $35,000 + camper had a defect that caused you to be without it for one entire season? Now add to that the fact that the defect is reported to be due to structural welds? Would you want to wait 6 weeks for someone to call you back?

Lastly...suggesting the OP check with the NHTSA is in no way "legal advice" and is in fact an excellent suggestion. The NHTSA has huge amounts of data on vehicle defects...what constitutes an actual safety hazard and what doesn't. They're a resource no different from this forum other than they have paid professionals who are experts in vehicle safety, not legal advice. If it was construed as a threat, perhaps we should take a look at our perspective and see if there could be something clouding our viewpoint. If you have a 2004-2008 F250 with the integrated brake controller like me, you have heard about the issues with that unit. I contacted the NHTSA and spoke with an engineer there who carefully explained how the system works and what they were testing (they had hundreds of reports on this issue). That conversation made me feel much better about the problem and how it was being resolved. Good stuff.

Just my 2 cents. Forums like email are emotionless and the reader often picks up emotion that wasn't put there by the author.

Why do people try to deal with issues on this forum. When having an issue with your coach the way to deal with it is by contacting Heartland Customer. This forum is not Heartland Customer Service. Rather than wait for days or weeks for correspondence pick up the telephone an call. Keep calling until you are able to talk to the right person. Keep asking for supervisors. Explain the situation to the factory and see what they can work out. We cannot force the factory to do anything. Try another phone call explaining that your coach is in a shop and has been taken apart to dianose the problem and see if they will not authorize that shop to make the repair if they are capable of it. They will authorize non-Heartland dealers to make repairs but they have to talk to the shop. Have the shop call the person at Heartland who can authorize the repair. Your might be surprised how easy it is if the proper steps are taken.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Biggziff, after reading this forum for over 2 years many items get redundant. Maybe I should quit reading it for awhile to get a fresh perspective. I was simply trying to point out the fact that many many times I have seen postings used to simply bash the product when the proper steps to get their issue taken care of was not taken. It seems sometimes this forum is used as a "stick" to strike at Heartland to get their attention and when in reality all it does it cause ill will. I have no problem in calling NHTSA or a lawyer God or anyone else that can take care of a problem after the beginning steps are taken. But to jump right to the final step without intermediate steps is ridiculous. I have had my share of issues from rotten wood to bent and broken axles but yelling or threatening people has done no good to the the issues resolved. Hope I haven't aggravated the situation and I do not mind the venting here but please let's be reasonable. Those that know me have heard me vent plenty. MHO

biggziff

Jim:

My inclusion of your post wasn't an intent to point the finger at you. Sorry if you took it that way.

I agree that fair use of these forums doesn't include yelling, accusing or otherwise slandering a company, especially if the provided channels for remedy have not been used. In this case I didn't see any yelling or accusing and it seems as if the OP has tried to use the channels provided, but hasn't been met with what some would call a reasonable response.

The beauty of this forum is that there are factory representatives participating on some threads. That alone shows someone is paying attention to what is now considered one of the biggest opportunities for any business to get free publicity...the internet forum. It costs Heartland nothing to maintain a presence here and they could reap huge rewards if they stay on top of it. Companies like Comcast learned firsthand how beneficial a small presence online can move their perceived reputation. A single Comcast employee started searching Twitter for the word "Comcast". This employee did this without being asked to do this. When he found someone bad mouthing the company, he contacted the poster directly and tried to assist them. In a very short amount of time this got out and became the gold standard for "doing it right" when it came to customer service. People began posting that this guy was fixing their issues and it started a landslide. This one person turned a huge ship around...Comcast..in regards to their reputation for service. What made this work for Comcast was the folks posting the resolutions to their problems and who had made it happen. I don't see a lot of that on here so I wonder how many of the "I have a problem" posts have actually gotten resolution. Heartland may want to think about that and see if they can address that part of the puzzle. It could make all the difference!

Thanks for the reply..you sound like a reasonable man....venting and all!!!:angel:

Biggziff, after reading this forum for over 2 years many items get redundant. Maybe I should quit reading it for awhile to get a fresh perspective. I was simply trying to point out the fact that many many times I have seen postings used to simply bash the product when the proper steps to get their issue taken care of was not taken. It seems sometimes this forum is used as a "stick" to strike at Heartland to get their attention and when in reality all it does it cause ill will. I have no problem in calling NHTSA or a lawyer God or anyone else that can take care of a problem after the beginning steps are taken. But to jump right to the final step without intermediate steps is ridiculous. I have had my share of issues from rotten wood to bent and broken axles but yelling or threatening people has done no good to the the issues resolved. Hope I haven't aggravated the situation and I do not mind the venting here but please let's be reasonable. Those that know me have heard me vent plenty. MHO

SmokeyBare

I whole hearted agree that the beauty of this Forum is the interest Heartland shows by reading and responding to several of the posts within the Forum. The fact that they are reading many posts is rewarding to those who own their product as well as those who are considering a purchase. The Heartland Company gains plenty as well by learning the issues Owners are dealing with and reading what changes they want to see on future Heartland RVs. I feel who read and post on this Forum get plenty out of the praise... the complaints... the suggestions... the modifications...

One other fantastic feature of this Forum is the RESPECT that's shown by the members. Its not often are we ask that a thread need to be "toned down" Rare is the time a post gets "Closed" for any reason. For all of us who show these qualities... we all deserve a pat on the back. One only need to read a few other Forums to see the difference Heartland Owners Forum has over them.

But I would also suggest there is a Cost incurred by Heartland. Many times they have agreed to Repairs on their Product far beyond the Warranty period. Some times those repairs are done by independent dealers across the country... sometimes they feel it would be best the RV was brought back to the factory. What ever method decided upon... It Costs...

They do this not because they are "Forced to do the Repair" but more likely the Company want a ever growing "Family of Owners" who will recommend the Product to others... who will consider Heartland first when it's time to buy again.

Lets hope they continue to search for ways to improve their product... ways to find resolution to Issues that come up... Ways to keep their young Company healthy and growing.

Thanks Heartland.

fyermn

Just to set the record straight. I finally took my 5th wheel back to the factory in Elkhart as they requested. When the factory rep saw the damage, he said it would take more than just a few days to repair. I left the 5th wheel at the factory for just over 3 weeks. Upon repair, I was called and told to come pick it up.

When I arrived at the factory, I saw that it was COMPLETELY repaired and a few extra repairs had been done that I didn't even know about. They also corrected/repaired so items I had concerns about. I was more than satisfied with Heartland's service, even though the vehicle was out of warranty by over a year.

Heartland stepped up to the plate for me!

wdk450

"Companies like Comcast learned firsthand how beneficial a small presence online can move their perceived reputation. A single Comcast employee started searching Twitter for the word "Comcast". This employee did this without being asked to do this. When he found someone bad mouthing the company, he contacted the poster directly and tried to assist them. In a very short amount of time this got out and became the gold standard for "doing it right" when it came to customer service. People began posting that this guy was fixing their issues and it started a landslide. This one person turned a huge ship around...Comcast..in regards to their reputation for service. What made this work for Comcast was the folks posting the resolutions to their problems and who had made it happen."

Jim:
Your Comcast story is an exact opposite to what my medical equipment repair listserv group encountered early on in its life. A LAWYER was trolling the internet for any references (positive or negative) to the name of a company he repesented. Letters threatening lawsuit were sent to the group owner for merely mentioning the company's copyrighted name online. This really incensed the e-mail group membership, who started posting and sending letters to the president of the company saying that they would use their influence as members of hospital capital purchase committees to NEVER buy ANY equipment made by that company. It didn't take long for the group to get an apology, and the company to get new legal representation.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Just to set the record straight. I finally took my 5th wheel back to the factory in Elkhart as they requested. When the factory rep saw the damage, he said it would take more than just a few days to repair. I left the 5th wheel at the factory for just over 3 weeks. Upon repair, I was called and told to come pick it up.

When I arrived at the factory, I saw that it was COMPLETELY repaired and a few extra repairs had been done that I didn't even know about. They also corrected/repaired so items I had concerns about. I was more than satisfied with Heartland's service, even though the vehicle was out of warranty by over a year.

That is great news!!! This is the same result that we received when we were in your position...Heartland is becoming known for "making it right". As long as customers realize that these types of situations are a "give and take" process, and are willing to do their part, Heartland can't be beat!!

scotty

:cool::cool: Great, makes me wonder why my last five RV's weren't HL. With this kind of response and customer care, my next one will be another HL.:D:D