Bedroom Air Conditioner

SilverRhino

Those of you that have added a second AC unit in the bedroom:

Have you in any way closed of the vents from the main unit that are in the bedroom & bath area??

I would thing that closing those ducted vents would put more cold air into the main living area while the bedroom unit took care of the bedroom and bath. What I was thinking of was replacing the existing vent covers with the type that I could turn to close, had these on our previous 5er, SOB.

What do you think? :confused:

2010augusta

I have not blocked off the bed/bath vents, but I did add a down draft vent to the bedroom A/C unit to blow air towards to bed and keep us cool while sleeping.

Attachments

• DSCN4475 (Small).JPG
    DSCN4475 (Small).JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN4476 (Small).JPG
    DSCN4476 (Small).JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 38

Peteandsharon

Randy,

I had an earlier thread on this exact topic. Some responses expressed concerns about closing off some of the vents. The thought was that an A/C needs a minimum number of vents to operate efficiently and therefore you really shouldn't start closing them off. It became a moot point for me, though because I couldn't find vents that could be closed off that fit my Bighorn.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
When I installed the AC in the bedroom, I closed off the bedroom vents. I took a large ziplock bag and stuffed a couple of hand towels in it and put it in the duct just before the first bedroom vent. It greatly increased the airflow from the vents in the main area of the coach. I left the bathroom vent alone, as it has a baffle built into it to limit the air flow into the bathroom. I sure haven't noticed any decrease in the efficiency of the AC in the main area, quite the opposite, as a matter of fact.
Fred

Jimmyt5

I think that the Domedic install directions say a MIN of 7 outlets, why,I don't know. I have shutoffs and everything seems to work OK..

porthole

Retired
Our bedroom AC is being used to pick up the slack. That said I won't be closing it off. During the night it is more then sufficient to keep the bedroom cool with minimum noise, as long as my wife leaves the main door closed - but that is another story :D

I feel better airflow coming from the bedroom and bathroom vents then the vents in the main area and garage, even though the two in the L/R are only a few feet from the AC unit.

phranc

porthole .. As we were parked next to you at Pine Grove , I should have had you over to
see how our AC is set up.. Both AC units feed the same 2 ducts that run from front to back..There is one choke point where the 2 side by side ducts merge into one . At about the half way mark. So 1 AC feeds most of the front and 1 AC feeds most of the back.
i like 2010augusta grill mod. Simpler and cheaper than a chill grill

phranc

Porthole ,, Most likely you have a 'chill grill' in your main AC. It refers to the vents in the plastic AC cover( slide vents) that you can open to allow the cool air into the main living space.. Rather than buying a new AC cover with the vents built in, for many dollars , Augusta's mod accomplished about the same result for just a few dollars..

navyAZ1

We had the Carrier "low profile" unit installed in the bedroom and had it cut into the vent system so when we need to run both A/C's we can but once the coach is cooled of we run only the bedroom unit and it pumps air into the entire coach and we don't have to listen to the loud noise of the A/C in the back while watching TV.