Didnt exscape the Satellite nightmare!

ChopperBill

Thought maybe, just maybe, I would be one of the customers that got their satellite right! Not! Nope, hook up to the connector in the service bay(of course they don't tell you which one) and nothing, nada, no Satellite! Pretty simple arithmetic. Satellite in to the receiver, receiver out to the TV. Voilà! A picture! My bedroom TV has an outlet plate with two connectors. One for amplified antenna and one for satellite. NO cable hooked into the back of the satellite connector so I no thats not the problem. (Also NO 12 volt outlet that I though was suppose to be there.) The thing is the roof antenna works both in bed room and living room so I know that is wired OK. After a couple of frustrating hours I gave up. Took the BH to the storage lot and picked up my Snowriver Truck camper(in which the satellite works!) to go to the NATCOA TC Rally. I will let the dealer deal with it along with a few other stupid problems that shouldn't have been.
P.S glad I bought from the local dealer! Even though they dont have a satellite dish they can get the local TV guru in to check it out.

busted2341

..I went through the same thing...walaa, dealer fixed it in an hour..the factory hooks up everthing wrong according to my dealer. The were very familure with the prob.....anyway at least you have B/R SAT hook up..I bought one of those video switch boxs for my old 5er, worked real good, but for some reason it won't work in the B/H. Haven't figured it out yet.

J

jjjelm

My question...is there a 12 volt connection for the bedroom T.V. in the 3055RL ??? Wonderful Wyoming

ChopperBill

jjjelm said:
My question...is there a 12 volt connection for the bedroom T.V. in the 3055RL ??? Wonderful Wyoming
Nope, not on mine. Strange. I would have bet the farm there would have been a 12 volt connection. The Audio/Video schematic shows one. First TV set up I have ever seen in an RV without one! Wost part is I was going to run one but couldn't find an easy way to get 12 volts without running to a light wire or the TV amplifier. Guess I will rig up a whole house inverter at a BIG expense!

shaneandtammymoore

Shane & Tammy
Just got my 3055. TV problems galore. It appears that my antenna is not even working in the living room. The satellite isnt working either. I have tried everything I know. By-passed the splitter etc. I have installed satellites numerous times. Its not real hard. So far I am not impressed with the A/V stuff on a 50,000 unit. The one I traded was much more user friendly.

jbeletti

Shane and Tammy,

I am guessing this may not help you, but in case you have not seen it yet, download the Bighorn A/V diagram in the post at this link.

Jim

ChopperBill

Just a thought. Has anyone just drilled a hole through the side of the coach where all the living room TV connections and pug-ins are and installed a satellite connector? Seems like about the easiest thing to do than try to figure out what is going on behind all the compartments where the snake pit of wires and cables are. If I don't get that Motostat Freedom dome and have the technician straighten the mess out that is what I might do. It would be nice to have one of those switchable do-dads to watch satellite in the BR or LR though.

ChopperBill

Didn't get a switch box under my TV. :confused: Is this something else like the 12V outlet in the bedroom cabinet I also didn't get? :confused:

shaneandtammymoore

Shane & Tammy
Jim, Thanks for the link. I did already have that and my trailer isnt wired like the diagram shows. I did finally figure out my antenna and cable are OK they are just opposite of the BH wiring diagram. No reception on satellite side. Tried it numerous ways. Will take it back to the dealer for now and see what happens. Shane

ChopperBill

Took mine back to the dealer yesterday for some work. When inquiring about the satellite he said the first thing they will do is removed all the cable ends and install new ones. The satellite guy I talked too said the all look like they are gnawed on by a gopher. :rolleyes: Then they do an ohm test on all the cables and see if they pass the test and go to locations that they are suppose too. If they don't pass they may have to route new cables. Every manufacture they sell has the same mess. My guess these things arent checked because ever one crosses their fingers in hope that they got a good install at the factory. That was my first thought. The wholesalers are really cutting into the locals pocket book and I think everyone is taking short cuts now.

Wild Wind

TV Cable ends

Bill you used a good cable guy, if the first thing they did was replace all the cables ends, everyone should have their cable ends checked.
The cables in our 3055 started falling off in my hands when trying to hookup a cable TV box. The cable company replaced and properly crimped all of the cables in our entertainment area. We also had to remove the AB Box, add & reposition spliters for Bedroom cable TV and a computer modem.
Since getting our RV back home from 6 weeks of Heartland repairs, I have replaced and crimped new cable ends on all of the cables.

Wild Wind

Your lucky, it was just another irration that causes us to shake our heads. Instead of getting the fancy cable routing box like the Landmarks, Heartland decided to install an A-B routing in the entainment as a token on some of the Bighorns. We bought our 3055 in Oct.,2005. If we keep our Bighorn, I will install the fancy switch/router box from Camping World.

busted2341

Well if ya'll install the switch box from camping world, your fraustration will only continue. I have tried and discovered the B/R must be run on it's own splitter separate from the l/R because it all works great in the l/R but won't work at all switching to the B/R. Dealer has no answer maybe Scott will!!

Wild Wind

Your right ,and every thing needs to be separtated, because Heartrland did not run enough wires to the entertainment center to save costs. Their system shares the same RG6 cable to the front from the bedroom for Ant. and cable.
When part of the bottom was off our trailer or for the black water tank repairs, I fished/pulled 2 more RG6 cables to the front entertainment center from the storage area with enough extra cable to go any where in the trailer. I will probly set up the new switch box in the master bedroom closet for easy access to the roof ant. and its power supply. More cable will neet be ran to make this all work.

nscaler2

Maybe this will work

After studying their diagram and spending a couple of hours in our 3055 with a VOM, I have come to the conclusion there is a relatively easy fix for this problem. To begin with, Wild Wind is correct in his evaluation of the problem. The cable input at the docking station feeds the center tap of the antenna-amplifier in the bedroom. When the antenna amp is turned OFF the signal from the cable input at the docking station, goes to the bedroom and is then passed along the cable that is attached to TV2 on the antenna amp which then sends it to the L/R and then feeds one side of the AB switch. The other side of the AB switch is feed by the Sat input from the docking station. The output from the AB switch connects to the two way splitter which then feeds the L/R TV and the cable connection at the computer desk. Sorry to be so long winded, but the fix for this would be to have the cable connection, from the docking station, go directly to one side of the AB switch first, NOT TO THE BEDROOM, like it does now. The s
Sat feed would enter the L/R same as now, but hook up to the sat tuner and then to the other side of the AB switch. The output from the
AB swithch would then be run to a three way splitter that connects to the L/R TV, the wire that goes to TV2 on the antenna amp in the bedroom and finally also to the computer desk in the entertainment center. Then switching either A or B would pass the final Sat signal or Cable signal along to everything else in the system. The real problem here is that the Cable input to the trailer starts in the bedroom instead of at the entertainment center. Moving the cable input to the AB swith in theL/R would make this work, along with a 3 way splitter instead of the two way one that is there now. It looks good on paper!!:cool:

Wild Wind

Thanks for your follow up and help, I traced all of the cables with a cable tone checker and labeled them, which is a little faster then a vom.
That's why I ran 2 more extra long cable wires that are extra long to the ent. center. I can either go to the docking station cable con., disconnect the present wire to bedroom ant. amp switch. The take a short piece of cable form docking cable to input spliter and connect bedroom cable and new ent. cable to out spliters. Take loose bed end of cable and cut a hole in paneling and install a separate cable connection plate labeled cable.
Or leave cable connection alone a docking station, and pull my new cable up to bedroom TV, remove old cable wire from bed ant. switch; install spliter, and new cable plate.
With these systems you either have to manually reconnect your TV cable at each TV to the proper outlet when changing from ant or cable or sat. You should also install a cable ABC distrubution switch.
After these updates, You could watch the bedroom TV on Ant. while wife watches cable in the living room, We can't do that now with Heartland wiring in our Bighorn.
Later session, why is the stored sattlelite ant. wire stored in the ceiling, ran to the docking station center connection?

nscaler2

Roof Satelite

Later session, why is the stored sattlelite ant. wire stored in the ceiling, ran to the docking station center connection?[/quote]

The second sat connection in the docking station allows you to use a jumper between the two connections in the docking station to get the roof sat into the trailer.;)