roof access ladder

rick_debbie_gallant

What is the load restrictions or weight capacity of the roof ladder? I am about 6'1" in the morning. My wife says that I am overweight:eek:, but I disagree with her, I am just under tall!!:rolleyes:
Any way I weigh in at just about 22.2 stone.
Give or take half a stone. Is there anything that I can do to beef up the supports, or add more support to the ladder. I was thinking about adding a support to the rails of the ladder that run to the ground thereby helping to take some of the load off the ladder.

Thank you

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
:eek:Gosh Rick, I thought I was the big dog around here at 21.5 stone.:D Our ladders are rated for 300#. I'll let you do the math. I trust the ladder to hold my weight but I don't trust the mounting system and the fiberglass to hold the weight. I use a little giant ladder to access the roof. Rated Heavy Duty:eek:. You might ba able to do a home made support for the ladder to the ground but I've never seen anything commercially available.

jbeletti

Thanks for the answer Ray. I will say that while they are rated at 300# (21.4285 stones), they will flex a bit on you at lowerer weights. Pay attention to the plates where the ladder is fastened to the rear cap. They tend to bend outward at the top edge and stay bent. Reseal this area if your sealant is breached.

Moving thread to BH - Exterior

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Thanks for the answer Ray. I will say that while they are rated at 300# (21.4285 stones), they will flex a bit on you at lowerer weights. Pay attention to the plates where the ladder is fastened to the rear cap. They tend to bend outward at the top edge and stay bent. Reseal this area if your sealant is breached.

Moving thread to BH - Exterior

So, at less than 12 stones, I should have no worries with it. Unless I'm stoned, that is.:rolleyes:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
How much does a stone weigh? I am serious as I have never heard that. Is that European or something?

Ray LeTourneau

Jim B, Thanks for moving the thread.
Jim G, It depends how big it is. :D:p

A few (40) :eek: years ago I was stationed in Scotland and learned the term "Stone". What a fantastic country! I didn't want to get off topic but I would love to go back and visit and see how it's changed.

Uncle Rog

I have never seen an RV mechanic use the ladder, consequently, I use my 7'er to get up to a step or so from the top and scramble up from there.......

rick_debbie_gallant

Ya'all are mighty sharp, I must say. Thanks for
taking it easy on the big guy. By the when I was at my "fighting" fire
weight I weighed a mere 14.5 stone. Ah those were the days my friend.
Thanks for clearing up the ladder thing. I think I will build another sky hook for the ladder.

SmokeyBare

A smart Ol' Center Horse such as your self... should Look for a Rookie to climb that ladder... <Grin>

I lean toward the don't ask... don't care... :) If i don't own a scale... and don't ask when I land on one... but alas reaching my shoes does present a challange...

I'm blaming it on the Rally Pot Luck dinners !! As well as our quest to eat our way across America... :)

A Center Horse was the "Senior" one in the Station put in the center where he could lead the team yet not quite pull the load he used too...

Ray LeTourneau

Ya'all are mighty sharp, I must say. Thanks for
taking it easy on the big guy. By the when I was at my "fighting" fire
weight I weighed a mere 14.5 stone. Ah those were the days my friend.
Thanks for clearing up the ladder thing. I think I will build another sky hook for the ladder.
When I got out of Boot Camp I was a mere 13.21 stone.:eek: That's about the time I met my wife. I can attest to the fact that she's a good cook. After my doctors visit today I found that I was less that I stated earlier today. A surprise to me as well I was 21.1 :rolleyes:

2010augusta

12 stones? That's 175#! I haven't seen that since high school :eek:

I haven't seen that since middle school!! I have always been a husky guy.:eek: I now weigh in at a nice even 20 stone. I use the ladder with out any issues. I like the one piece design, I had a class A pusher that had a two piece ladder, and that felt flimsy:eek:.

rick_debbie_gallant

Center horse here. Yup that was me alright. Having been the capt of my station I had the honor and privlage of of showing a lot of rookies the in and outs. Fact is after a while they would tell me to put the axe down and direct the ops and make sure no one got hurt. Like I said "those were the days".