Hydraulic Isolation valves

caissiel

anyone installed hydraulic isolation valves to permit individual slides to open. I am realy having a problem with not controling individual slides opening. The slide I want to open mostly, opens last.

Is there a hydraulic dia. available

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I can't say for the Big Country but our Bighorn has individual valves mounted at the hydraulic pump in the front storage compartment. Find your slide motor/pump assembly and look for the valves. They should be marked to determine which valve controls each slide out.

caissiel

There are no isolation valves on my unit, thats what puzzels me, there are only 2 lines at the header, I think its the bed slide on one and then the other 3 slides on the other lines. I would have to run lines to header from different lines or install Solenoid Valves to Isolate the slides.

Elevatorman

Hydraulic Isolation Valves

I was told that you could, cut to length 2x4's for each slide and wedge (or block) the slides that you do not want to open, and that the system will think they are open and automatically transfer the pressure to the next slide in line to open.
As soon as my new BC3500RL gets here I am looking into just that, due to limited slide opening room at the house when packing up for a trip. It makes mechanical sense to me, whether it will work or not, we'll find out I guess!

wdk450

anyone installed hydraulic isolation valves to permit individual slides to open. I am realy having a problem with not controling individual slides opening. The slide I want to open mostly, opens last.

Is there a hydraulic dia. available

It seems to me that if other Heartland models have these valves, Lippert should be able to work with you both in getting the pump/manifold with the individual valves. Lippert makes the frame/slideout systems.

SilverRhino

Living With Single Control- Not That Bad

When we purchased our BC I was concerned about only switch for three slides......advice I was given was to use it for a while and see. We have found that we can get to everything we need when traveling.......so decided that it wasn't a problem.

The other issue.....cost! I thought it would be real simple to change over to multi port valve...evidently not.

So I have decided to live with the one control for now.

caissiel

I have downloaded the Lippert 3 slide Diagram, I will be taking my time to install Isolation valves but they will be solenoid operated with NO valves that I can shut off from the control panel. I have a supply here that will get me 4 valves that I can install at the cylinder conn. instead at the pump, and route the Wires to operate to the control panel.

SilverRhino

Remote Switches - Is that the basic idea??

If I understand correctly......you will install a 12 volt solenoid at each ram....these will be controlled by switches??

Not being an expert on hydraulics.....seems like this would be the easiest way to isolate each slide......are the solenoids expensive?? What would I look for on the internet.....or ask for at a hydraulics shop?

This sounds like a reasonable solution to what I feel is a HL over site. If reasonable.... I would consider making this mod :)

caissiel

I am doing some research on it, the block from Limpert costs $260.00 and 2 hoses will cost $140.00. I will be locating 2 solenoids for the Kitchen and Entertainment slide, put one on the Bed slide or a manual at the pump. That way I have $400.00 to spend on the controls, I feel I can get some for around $100.00 each.

caissiel

I did the modifications last saturday, I bought 4 Hyd. Ball valves rated at 3500PSI, and 1 Hose at 30Ft and a second hose at 20 Ft both rated at 3200 PSI. With all the fittings it cost me $284 Can. Now I can open all slides or select the slide to open. I installed the valves on the return lines by the pump, like the Limpert Diagram showed and it was realy easy to reroute the lines at the cylinder because the fittings were at the frame area. One new line (30Ft) goes to the desk slide, one new line connected to the Table/Couch slide (20Ft) by disconnecting the line at the desk cylinder it allowed connection on the table side by the wheels. Blocked off the line from the kitchen slide to the table slide with female plug at the table slide. That way I was not required to open the kitchen side at all. I was very carefull and make sure the lines were blocked before moving then. No dust went in the lines and the oil barely leaked out.

lwmcguir

You will really like this change. It is one of the main reasons we chose the Augusta. Sounds like you did a great job. Be really careful when checking for hydraulic leaks. If HP oil enters you skin it can be deadly or sure make you sick.

I think a lot of folks would like the independent control for a variety of reasons. Great post.

caissiel

All the fittings that I moved or changed are visible through the cylinder shaft hole by the frame. I will keep an eye on the situation. The lines I installed are heavier and are running along the right side frame from front to back, it should not add much more weight to the under belly sheeting.

lwmcguir

Did you use 3/8 inch hydraulic lines? Just curious as they are readily available at farm supply stores or custom made at all farm equipment dealers.

caissiel

I had 1/4" line made to my specs, I choosed 3500PSI hoses and Valves, I did not know the lenght of the lines to use so I had on done at 30 ft, and the other at 20 ft. All the fittings on the lines are 1/4" Swivel Female JIC. there are 2 cylinders with a tee connection that allowed the return line to run to 3 cylinders in series. The bedroom slide cylinder is already seperated at the pump. Now I have a 30ft hose going to the Desk Slide. The 20ft hose is connected to the line that was running to the desk slide from the Table slide that I rerouted direct to the pump, and plugged the other side of the tee. I blocked of the Line from the Kitchen slide to the table slide, so as to only have the kitchen slide on the line. Each of the 4 Hoses now have a manual shut off at the pump. I was going to valve the supply line to the rear of the cylinders, but Limpert Diagram shows the slide return lines are to be valved off, and also the valves are located on the outside lines at the pump for easier access. Also these lines are easier to access because they are close to the frame. It took me 2 hrs to select the right fittings, but everything fit well and I was left with 2 Female caps, 1 union.

Materials used:
1. 30ft 1/4" Hose w/JIC Swivel Fem. Ends 3500PSI W.P
1. 20ft 1/4" Hose w/JIC Swivel Fem. Ends 3500PSI W.P
4. 1/4" NPT Hyd. Ball Valves 3200PSI W.P
4. 1/4" MNPT-MJIC Adapter
4. 1/4" MNPT-FJIC Swivel Adapter
2. 1/4" FJIC Swivel-MJIC-MJIC Tee
1. 1/4" MJIC-MJIC Union
2. 1/4" FJIC Cap
2. 1/4" MJIC Plug

Terms: M is for Male, F is for Female, JIC is the type of Hyd. hose fitting that is used on our units. NPT is for National Pipe Threads.

Last edited:

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
.. Be really careful when checking for hydraulic leaks. If HP oil enters you skin it can be deadly or sure make you sick.
quote]

I can not say what is used on the Landmarks but on my Bighorn it is simple transmission fluid in the hydraulic system. It even states that in the paperwork.

caissiel

Thats what it looks like, Automatic Transmission oil. I was the Hydraulic Supervisor at the mill I retired from. We did have lots of hose leaks, filter changes and valve maintenance that leaked oil.

lwmcguir

Any oil under high pressure that enters your skin may kill you. It will certainly make you sick. The recommended oil for almost all of the slide systems is Mercon V which is a synthetic. Will still make you sick if the 3500 pound oil leak punctures your skin. Be careful when checking for leaks. Use a piece of cardboard, not your hand.

lwmcguir

Thanks for the info on the fittings and hose. Will be handy if I break one later on. JIC are available at all the normal places that make hose assemblies. This is a big help.

lwmcguir

Let me clear up my post a bit. The oil isnt going to bother you much if you just get it on your skin. Wash it off like you would any other grime. The problem is if you have a pin hole leak that is under pressure and you stick you eye or skin in the way. Then you are seriously hurt. Be careful and wear eye protection when looking at fittings under pressure.