Class A, NON commercial Driver Licence

dieselengineer

Charter Member
How many non CDL drivers have class A drivers licences? In PA, if the combine GVWR (TV plus trailer) is greater then 26,000 lbs, then a class A DL, or class A CDL is required. Example, TV - 12,200 GVWR and trailer - 14,000 GVWR = 26,200. Note, the mfg ratings (titled ratings) are used by the state, not the actual weight (weight going down the road) of each vehicle. So by the most part, anyone with a dually and a high profile 5th wheel will fit into this requirement.

2010augusta

Are you sure it is not the GCWR? seems like a lot of "overlap" if using both vehicles GVWR. I Know in TN they use the scale weight, so my 9,500# TV and 16,500# LM is really close to the 26,000# limit of my class D.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
In PA, it is not the scale weights, it is the number printed on the sticker on the side of the camper and on the sticker on the door of the TV. The owner's card (provide by the state after a small mountain of money is turned over to them) also has the same number printed on it. Add to the two together, and the highway patrol will be looking for a class A if over 26,000 lbs

2010augusta

it is the number printed on the sticker on the side of the camper

That works for me, Heartland forgot to put the weight stickers on my trailer. :D Could I convince a Penn HP the the Trailer GVWR was 0000#s???

I am trying to get the correct stickers for the unit, but don't know how long this will take. Good luck with your Class A, My Wife is from Penn and she has tried to explain all the "oddball" inspections and vehicle registrations and other BS that is required. I don't think we'll be moving there.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
My understanding, most states including the great state of Texas has the same licence requirements. Most do not follow the requirements, and are actual towing illegally without the required drivers licence endorsements

2010augusta

Since we are moving to Washington State I was researching the DL requirement and their web-sites states."By law, the following types of drivers are exempt and don’t need a commercial driver license (CDL): Recreational vehicle (RV) operators are exempt when driving an RV for non-commercial purposes. This exemption includes 2-axle rental trucks and horse trailers." Most states have a similar clause.

DMitch

I think all states are reciprical, that is if your home stste does not require a CDL for your RV the other states honor that.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
I am not talking about requiring a CDL. As the title to this thread says, A NON commercial class A driver license. Please check your state requirements, your driver license is mostly limited to vehicles or combinations of vehicles up to 25,999 lbs GVWR. (Rating not scaled weights)

Delaine and Lindy

Commerical Lic.

Just remember the Class A (CDL) Lic is required by the Federal Goverment when your pulling trailers for pay that weigh over 26,000 lbs. I have had a commerical Lic since I was 21 years old. Back then you just told them what type Truck you were driving in Tennessee. Then when the Federal Government went to a nationwide Lic for commerical drivers I went and got my Commerical Class A (CDL). The test is very long and then for each indorsement there is a test and then a road test. Now some States require a none commerical type Lic. (think Money). I haven't seen this in person but have read were most of the test are very easy. I recomend you call your local State Lic place that issues your State Lic and find out what the requirement are. I have never seen a RVer pulled over by the State Commerical inforement police to be weight. Never ever met anyone who has been ticketed for being over weight in a RV in the lower 48 States. Our friends from the North have different requirements. I agree there are many people towing over weight for the type Truck they have. Ad lot of the D.O.T. people want have a clue what your talking about when you ask what type Lic you need for you RV. Many States do exempt RVer from Lic requirement to drive a RV. GBY....

2010augusta

Alan just out of curiosty where do you consider your home state?

Right now I hold a Tennessee DL although I have only been to Tennessee once, for about 6 days total, and in a few weeks I will be getting a Washington DL. My Mother-in-law lives in Tennessee, so we were trying to use that address for tax purposes, but since we pay no rent or mortgage anywhere, for tax purposes, we have no state of residence:confused:.

2010augusta

I hope when I grow up, I can be just like you. Notice I said grow up not get old.

Grow up? I haven't done that yet either. I just chose to ignore most reality. How many 28 year old newly-weds sell off their stuff and buy a fifth-wheel to travel full-time in? We are not planning on stopping this great life anytime soon.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
The attached file contains a summary of non-commercial RV driver's license requirements of the fifty states plus Washington D.C.

The special column (third one from the left) is the NON commercial driver license requirements. From the response to this thread it appears that no one other then the few with CDL have an NON commercial DL. With the funds getting tight and state budgets issues, The Highway Patrol will be out on the hunt to write the big tickets and funds for the state.

Attachments

• State Driver list.doc
    94.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
CDL of any type is not required in Michigan for RV's. There is no weight restriction for this exemption. This is from the Michigan CDL Manual. It's under the same exemption listing for Police and Firefighters operating authorized emergency vehicles.

[FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold]
INDIVIDUALS:​
[/FONT]​
[/FONT]Operating motor homes or other vehicles used exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members, for non-business purposes.

truknutt

Committed Member
The attached file contains a summary of non-commercial RV driver's license requirements of the fifty states plus Washington D.C.

The special column (third one from the left) is the NON commercial driver license requirements. From the response to this thread it appears that no one other then the few with CDL have an NON commercial DL. With the funds getting tight and state budgets issues, The Highway Patrol will be out on the hunt to right the big tickets and funds for the state.

Thanks Jim; I just received my corrected weight sticker for the truck and now you lay this on me. Are you secretly working for PENNDOT?

From the PA Driver's Manual: Chapter 1 - Non-Commercial Learnerʼs Permit Information - PA Driverʼs Manual

WHAT CLASS OF DRIVERʼS LICENSE DO YOU NEED?
In Pennsylvania, driverʼs licenses are issued specifically for the class and type of vehicle you operate. Therefore, the class of driverʼs license you should have depends specifically upon the type of vehicle you operate. Generally speaking, the majority of applicants for a Pennsylvania driverʼs license will be operators of regular passenger
vehicles, pick-up trucks or vans. This manual is designed to provide the information you need to get a non-commercial Class C driverʼs license, which is the class that covers these types of vehicles.​

CLASSES OF DRIVERʼS LICENSES

• CLASS A (minimum age 18):

Required to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, where the vehicle(s) being towed is/are in excess of 10,000 pounds.
Example: Recreational Vehicle, when the towing vehicle is rated at 11,000 pounds and the vehicle towed is rated at 15,500 pounds (total combination weight of 26,500 pounds).

May as well get started:
Permit App: http://www.dot4.state.pa.us/pdotforms/dl_forms/dl-31.pdf

Renewal App: http://www.dot4.state.pa.us/pdotforms/dl_forms/dl-143.pdf

2010augusta

The special column (third one from the left) is the NON commercial driver license requirements. From the response to this thread it appears that no one other then the few with CDL have an NON commercial DL. With the funds getting tight and state budgets issues, The Highway Patrol will be out on the hunt to right the big tickets and funds for the state.

Jim, Thanks, That is a lot of very useful information. Where is it from?

caissiel

My new unit a 3500RL BC, has the official sticker outside with 14000 GVW and E tires with 80 Lbs air.
Inside the official certified sheet in the door says 15500 Lbs GVW.
There is an other sheet that shows the Trailer empty weight at 10950, 14000 lbs gvw.
I go by the Tires that I have on are G load range and the axles are 7000 Lbs. and with 2000Lbs Hitch weight I am back at 15500Lbs.

Lucky me that has 14000Lbs Sticker and my 3/4 Ton Ford that is Licenced for 12000Lbs. That would make me overloader by 1 Lbs. In addition my truck has a 10,000 Lbs GVW on the door. that makes me licenced at 24,000Lbs. and My truck is rated to haul 23000 Lbs. But without the fresh water tank full, and the 1000 lbs of Stuff I am actualy way underloaded. Glad Heartland did the mistake on the sticker. Hope there are no more errors of manufacturing.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Sorry Dave (truknutt) I didn't want to make your day a sad one. Was only thinking about getting one of these new fords with the new engine and the DL requirement came up. Kind of forces you into a new group, the over 26,000 pounders. Now the question is, will the PaDot boys have the test available to take, or can they even find the test?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just remember the Class A (CDL) Lic is required by the Federal Goverment when your pulling trailers for pay that weigh over 26,000 lbs. I have had a commerical Lic since I was 21 years old. Back then you just told them what type Truck you were driving in Tennessee. Then when the Federal Government went to a nationwide Lic for commerical drivers I went and got my Commerical Class A (CDL). The test is very long and then for each indorsement there is a test and then a road test. Now some States require a none commerical type Lic. (think Money). I haven't seen this in person but have read were most of the test are very easy. I recomend you call your local State Lic place that issues your State Lic and find out what the requirement are. I have never seen a RVer pulled over by the State Commerical inforement police to be weight. Never ever met anyone who has been ticketed for being over weight in a RV in the lower 48 States. Our friends from the North have different requirements. I agree there are many people towing over weight for the type Truck they have. Ad lot of the D.O.T. people want have a clue what your talking about when you ask what type Lic you need for you RV. Many States do exempt RVer from Lic requirement to drive a RV. GBY....

The commercial license is not required for a private citizen to tow an RV. The commercial license is only required if you are towing it commercially i.e. your receiving compensation for towing it as in delivering or a transport company driver. Most states do require a NON-commercial Class A license for towing an RV based on weight. Each state sets that requirement. As of this date to my knowledge the Federal government has not required a private individual to obtain a Federal driver's license. Maybe Obama is trying to do that but he has not yet.