Insulation

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I have read here that there is no "insulation" in the slide out walls because the factory didnt feel it was necessary. How about the rear wall?? This what I found after drilling a hole in the wall. The B in the picture tells the location.
I realize that fiberglass batt only creates the dead air space necessary to insulate-but this wall is not air tight.

What is the factory policy for "insulation"? I now know the rear wall is not a laminated panel.

019.jpg

SouthernNights

Maybe I did not ask the right the question. Is there insulation in the rear wall? If so at what height does it begin? This hole and another just like it on the other side is approx 1 foot above the floor. Neither had insulation between the inner and outer wall. Above this hole is wood bridging. Is there insulation above that or is the back wall not insulated?

Taz Devil

From my dealings with the rear wall, there is very little batting at all. You would think it would be the same all the way around the entire coach. I would guess the newer models would have more, when you look at the pamlets that are out showing the cold temps and the heat that it is suppose to handle. Just my .02.

Kevin

SouthernNights

Kevin,
How high up on the back wall have you been and at what point did you start seeing batt?
I really don't have a problem cooling the inside of the unit during the summer even with just one A/C unit. Have no idea about winter yet but my lack of ability to leave well enough alone is making to want to insulate the wall.

caissiel

In my opinion every part of the trailer should be insulated due to the possibility of moisture to accumulate in the walls. When we miss the insulation in a House wall the wall rought, its the most important factor in a hous not to leave any walls exposed to the cold sweet.

SouthernNights

Exactley right Caissiel. As a matter of fact the right rear side on the trailer which is exposed to the sun in the afternoon was damp like condensation. There was notheing wet, just damp. A friend owns the local Servepro here in town, but by the time I borrowed his moisture meter the next day the dampness was gone and the readings were acceptable so I guess I will never know. I did put batt in begore installing the new tailights.
I guess the factory has not seen this post yet.

B

bwwalczak

Thank you for your post. I sit in Wisconsin tonight - traveling quite a bit and have not had a chance to catch up on posts. This is very important.

On Big Country we feature our laminated roof, floor and sidewalls. This means that the walls are glued together. In these glued and pressed (laminated) areas, we use solid foam material. See photos in our website "your laminated world" This closed cell material is VERY similar to what you will find in your ice chest or cooler, just much thicker. Also, our foam products are more expensive, they don't "bead" and fall apart like cheaper foams. These features make our product better than any competitor's product. Big Country is the only product that offers this level of sound and thermal insulation.

Inside the front and rear walls, (for wiring and other reasons) we use the traditional fiber batton insulation. This is the same material used in homes. All insulation is glued into place.

I assume this is a photo of the rear wall? If so, the fiberglass (white) is glued directly to the backer board. This adds strength. The backer board is attached to studs in the rear wall. In between each stud is the fiber insulation we mentioned above. This is all covered with the interior wallboard. Big Country is designed to have insulation covering the entire back wall (under the exterior fiberglass) / backer board. To answer your question, the back wall is insulated.

When I get back to the plant, I may be able to snap a quick photo of the rear wall to reassure you of Big Country's superior construction.

Please feel free to contact me. bryanw@heartlandrvs.com - not to be rude, but why are we drilling big holes in Big Countrys?

SouthernNights

Thank you for your post. I sit in Wisconsin tonight - traveling quite a bit and have not had a chance to catch up on posts. This is very important.

On Big Country we feature our laminated roof, floor and sidewalls. This means that the walls are glued together. In these glued and pressed (laminated) areas, we use solid foam material. See photos in our website "your laminated world" This closed cell material is VERY similar to what you will find in your ice chest or cooler, just much thicker. Also, our foam products are more expensive, they don't "bead" and fall apart like cheaper foams. These features make our product better than any competitor's product. Big Country is the only product that offers this level of sound and thermal insulation.

Inside the front and rear walls, (for wiring and other reasons) we use the traditional fiber batton insulation. This is the same material used in homes. All insulation is glued into place.

I assume this is a photo of the rear wall? If so, the fiberglass (white) is glued directly to the backer board. This adds strength. The backer board is attached to studs in the rear wall. In between each stud is the fiber insulation we mentioned above. This is all covered with the interior wallboard. Big Country is designed to have insulation covering the entire back wall (under the exterior fiberglass) / backer board. To answer your question, the back wall is insulated.

When I get back to the plant, I may be able to snap a quick photo of the rear wall to reassure you of Big Country's superior construction.

Please feel free to contact me. bryanw@heartlandrvs.com - not to be rude, but why are we drilling big holes in Big Countrys?

I use closed cell insulation in alot of the homes we build. You are right about it being expensive. The typical 18oo sq ft house on a slab can cost as much $12000 just for insulation.:eek:

You can see the glue on the back side of the interior wall but no batt. I guess they missed it.It is good to know that there batt in the rest of it.

I changed the running lights and tail lights to L E D for saftey reasons. I put 4 round 4" tailights on the back. Got to say it really enhanced the looks of the rear of the trailer also. Dont worry, I didn't hurt your Big Country.:D

Tom of Ypsi

Larry,

How about showing some pics of your finsihed BC for other owners and the factory to see. I like the fact that you put LED's in place of the bulbs, safety if first and foremost and will always have them on any other coach we may get.

jbeletti

Larry,

I'd like to see a pic of the entire rear cap too with those cool new lights..

I think Bryan is saying the insulation is on the other side of that wall. Not between the rear cap and that wall but on the other side.

Interior wall board, insulation and studs, exterior wall board, then rear cap. I think :eek:

How about using some expanding foam insulation in that cavity behind the light? The shove some bowl shaped object into the light hole until the foam hardens. Just a thought.

Jim

SouthernNights

I will post pics this weekend. I need to pull it off it's parking pad to get a good pic of the back end.
Jim, I do not have a rear molded cap on mine. That was not offered until '10. I did call the parts line for the price-I was going to add to mine but never got a return call. I just figured they wouldnt sell just the cap to me.
So....I have and outside rear wall, studs and the inside rear wall. No cap:(

jbeletti

Thanks for circling back on this Larry. Wondering of the wiring team just pushed the insulation away from the light area??

The rear cap would be quite an expensive part plus uber crating and truck freight cost. It "may" be something you could get done at the plant. Bryan would know. But again, some $$$.

Jim

SouthernNights

A couple of pictures showing the L E D tail lights and marker lights.

013.jpg

<A href="http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f340/piratevader1/013.jpg" target=_blank>

017.jpg

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
larry, looks good. Nice and bright. I did the same with LEDS but added 3 more to the sides. Made one a turn/marker lamp. By looking at the pix I'm not sure if you could add anymore lights to the sides. Bob:D:D

SouthernNights

Hey Bob, the mid turn idea is a good one and I probably should have done it on this go-round. Oh, well , that will give me something to do later.

SouthernNights

I got the lights from http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm

Cost was less than $200.00 for all of them. That includes a couple of step lights for the inside steps and a little led that comes on when I turn my refridgerator fan on.

Not all LEDs are built the same. Some are not very bright and some are not DOT approved but I had bought from these people in the past and they have good products.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
What's that big thing in the picture behind the 5th wheel???:eek: OMG it's a garage!:eek: Oh yeah, I remember now. I used to have one of those.;) It's the one downside of going full time. Giving up the garage and the tools we all used to have.:( Notice the frown isn't too sad though:D. I love this lifestyle! Nice work Larry!