Trailer Tires Explained

wyleyrabbit

Laurent,

I always go with whatever the vehicle placard says for inflation and have never had a problem. I understand that I one overinflates his tires, then ther is less rubber on the road, and therefore reduced handling and reduced braking abilities.

Thoughts?

SmokeyBare

My views are the vehicle manufacture wants a safe and smooth ride. They post Tire pressure ratings with that in mind. Tire companies have done the research on their products use, no matter what vehicle they are used on.

I go by the tire side wall for a pressure guide. There you'll find maximum tire pressure allowed for the tire. It's not the same as the vehicle's sticker and their recommended pressure.

For RV Tires, having the vehicle weighted is critical to knowing how much pressure should be carried in the tires. Knowing the weight of the vehicle, even better, knowing the weight of each wheel's location will allow you to use the Tire Company's guide lines to the correct pressure.

Marv

bigbird272

Trailer Tires

According to what I read on line trailer tires are rated for a max speed of 65 miles per hour. On average they last 4 to 5 years depending on use. The main reason for failures is heat caused by under inflation. This refers to ST tires. LT tires which are on bigger trailers are rated for max 75 mph. I would never tow that fast.

I blew two Goodyear Marathons on my 33.5 5th wheel last year. No damage thank god. The tires that came with the trailer were d series and I upgraded to e. No problems on the way home. I drove at about 62 mph according to the GPS.

Now that I am getting my new 3580 with Chinese tires I will make sure I do the same and check them every time I stop for fuel or to let the dog out for a wizz.

Rick

Last edited:

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
Look into inflating your tires with nitrogen and you will see that the psi does not change with the weather and little with heat. Since there is no moisture you have reduced corrossion and deterioration from the inside of the tire which will add to the tire life. I have just started with new tires on my truck and will have any new tires on all of my vehicles and trailers filled with nitrogen. Seems to work as my tire man claims. I was charged $6 to inflate new tires and $12 to drain and inflate existing tires.

wyleyrabbit

Hmmm. I'm skeptical about the nitrogen tire inflating thing. Here are my thoughts:

1) Regular air is 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and traces of other gasses.
2) Yes, nitrogen molecules are larger than air and therefore less likely to escape, however, each time one adds air to the tire, they're adding 78% nitrogen anyways.

So, let's assume (I am pulling this number out of the "air" for this example) that a tire contains 50 liters of "air" when properly inflated. Given that 78% of the air is nitrogen, then that tire with regular air would have about 39 liters of nitrogen, with most of the balance being oxygen.

Next, let's assume that all of the oxygen escapes between the rubber molecules, and the tire is low. So, pump another 11 liters of regular air in there to bring the tire back up to its recommended pressure, and we'll be putting 11 l * 78% = 8.6 l of nitrogen in to the tire. This added to the already 39 l gives us 47.6 liters of nitrogen in the tire.

Again, after some time, we notice the tire is low, and assume all the oxygen has again leaked out. So we pump it back up, again with regular air, and add another 2.4 liters of air, which includes another 1.9 liters of nitrogen. We're now at 49.5 liters of nitrogen in this tire, which can hold 50 liters of gas in the first place.

After a couple more top-ups, we'd be left with tires that are almost 100% nitrogen, and we didn't have to pay anyone anything.

Obviously, my example is simplified, but I believe the concept is sound.

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Chris

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
Hmmm. I'm skeptical about the nitrogen tire inflating thing. Here are my thoughts:

1) Regular air is 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and traces of other gasses.
2) Yes, nitrogen molecules are larger than air and therefore less likely to escape, however, each time one adds air to the tire, they're adding 78% nitrogen anyways.

So, let's assume (I am pulling this number out of the "air" for this example) that a tire contains 50 liters of "air" when properly inflated. Given that 78% of the air is nitrogen, then that tire with regular air would have about 39 liters of nitrogen, with most of the balance being oxygen.

Next, let's assume that all of the oxygen escapes between the rubber molecules, and the tire is low. So, pump another 11 liters of regular air in there to bring the tire back up to its recommended pressure, and we'll be putting 11 l * 78% = 8.6 l of nitrogen in to the tire. This added to the already 39 l gives us 47.6 liters of nitrogen in the tire.

Again, after some time, we notice the tire is low, and assume all the oxygen has again leaked out. So we pump it back up, again with regular air, and add another 2.4 liters of air, which includes another 1.9 liters of nitrogen. We're now at 49.5 liters of nitrogen in this tire, which can hold 50 liters of gas in the first place.

After a couple more top-ups, we'd be left with tires that are almost 100% nitrogen, and we didn't have to pay anyone anything.

Obviously, my example is simplified, but I believe the concept is sound.

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Chris

Now thats funny, I don't care who you are!

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
OK, a few questions.
1. If you fill your tires with nitrogen before a trip and you are on the road traveling, and one or more of the tires need more PSI, can you mix the regular air from your compressor with the nitrogen, or how would you find nitrogen on the road? Or will the combo blow the tire, or do you keep the same PSI regardless of the mixture?

2. If you are using G rated 614's, and running light on your trailer, should you put 100 lbs of PSI or actually always run them at max of 110 PSI?

3. I still haven't figured out how to install and calibrate the Pressure Pros I bought 2 years ago, but never installed because I didn't have steel stems, rather rubber, when I had the E rated Missions, prior to the purchase of the Goodyear G 614's. Should I just call Pat McFall for instructions, or just wait till the next rally for one of you experts to give me a hand (that means you Butch, GMC)? LOL

Oh, by the way, the Goodyear 614's were on sale last year with a rebate of $25 a tire, thanks to Michael Kidd (linux), who printed the rebate sheet on the forum. Thanks Mike, you saved me $125 and whoever says the E rated tires run as well as the G rated, I take exception, as I had both, and the G rated run much smoother to me, a novice, I must admit.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
OK, a few questions.
1. If you fill your tires with nitrogen before a trip and you are on the road traveling, and one or more of the tires need more PSI, can you mix the regular air from your compressor with the nitrogen, or how would you find nitrogen on the road? Or will the combo blow the tire, or do you keep the same PSI regardless of the mixture?

2. If you are using G rated 614's, and running light on your trailer, should you put 100 lbs of PSI or actually always run them at max of 110 PSI?

RESPONSE: 1. Unless you have a flat this should not be the case. Some "experts" state if it is in the "steering" tires the mixture should be the same but that is getting mighty peculiar. There is 3 - 4 times faster permeation rate (diffusion through the rubber) of oxygen to nitrogen and that is where loss occurs except in the case of an all-out flat tire.

2. I have no response to number 2.

caissiel

Here is my $.02
The G tires should be run at max pressure in order not to heat as much.

The G tires have to be inflated to the rim capacity, which usualy is 80PSI for the E tires.

Results: no advantage G tires: advantage E tires at max pressure.

But the G tires are much heavier construction so I would not know any difference, but possibly advantage G tires.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
RESPONSE: 1. Unless you have a flat this should not be the case. Some "experts" state if it is in the "steering" tires the mixture should be the same but that is getting mighty peculiar. There is 3 - 4 times faster permeation rate (diffusion through the rubber) of oxygen to nitrogen and that is where loss occurs except in the case of an all-out flat tire.

I have not needed to add nitrogen to my truck tires since purchased 6 months ago. Our temps have been 8 to 64 degrees this month. I have seen several #s variation before the nitrogen. My tire store advised that if for what ever reason that I needed to add pressure that it would not hurt to use regular air and have it changed out at my convience. I understand that more tire stores are offering nitrogen. I was thinking about having my portable storage tank filled with nitrogen to carry in the truck.