Camping World

isitime

I am about to pull the plug and buy a 2009 Big Horn 3055RL. My question is about dealers, this is from Camping World in Katy TX. What sort of experience have you had with Camping World, in general?
Thanks,
John

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
You may want to do a search o here about CW as dealers. From what I have read they are not a good choice but please do some more research before you go that direction.

isitime

Camping World in Katy, Texas has a 3055RL Big Horn that I'm interested in. They claim to be the largest Heartland dealer in the US.
However Camping World will shortly no longer carry any Heartland products but say they will continue to service them.
Should I believe this? Has anyone had any experience with either the Camping World in Katy or anywhere else. If I buy in Katy can I get good service in the other Camping Worlds?
Thanks for any advice.

jbeletti

There were a half dozen or so Camping World locations around the US that carried the Heartland brand. Camping World has since aligned itself with a larger RV manufacturer. As such, you'll see fewer and fewer new Heartland products at their stores. They service nearly all brands so I would not be too fearful of purchasing a Heartland from them. See Joe French at the Katy location as he's their Heartland expert.

That all said, there are several Heartland dealers in the Houston area to choose from.

Jim

jgallego

I purchased a 2009 Big Country 3355 from Joe French at the Katy Camping World. Other than three water leaks on my initial trip I have not had a problem. I had an rv repair company fix it and received reimbursement from Camping World. Other than that I have not had any problems. Joe was friendly to work with in the purchase and knew the product well. We have really enjoyed the 5th wheel.

Jaime

Last edited:

snappy38

I recently bought a Heartland 5th Wheel at camping world in Springfield, MO. Saturday, the 12th of Sept, 2009, I brought the unit back to Springfield with an appointment to have some warranty work done. Today, the 14th, I got a call that they will no longer do Heartland warranty work. I don't know if this is only Springfield but it doesn't sound good. I had to make a 130 mile trip, one way, to get may unit back and I now have to go get it without anything getting done. Needless to say, I'm NOT a happy camper.

snappy38

If this is true, home come Camping World in Springfield just called me and told me they will not do warranty work on the Heartland unit that I just delivered to them for repair last Saturday?

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I, along with several others that have attended our rallies in Houston, have bought trailers from Joe at CW Katy. He has been good to work with and if he has the model that you want, I would say buy it. I'm sorry to see CW has dropped Heartland products but I'm sure they will take care of any issues that come up.

osims

bsims
Isitime
We have purchased two Heartland 5er's from Camping World in Katy and they have been fair to deal with. Joe is a good guy and knows the HL line very well. I hate to see them not be a dealer any longer but there are other dealers in the Houston area. They are trying to move those trailers so you probably are getting a good deal. If you pull the trigger you will still have plenty of time to join us for the fall Houston rally in October in Spring.
Bill

jimtoo

Hi isittime,

I would recommend that you at least check with ExploreUSA in Seguin, TX. Not to far down IH10 from you. Ben Notgrass is gen manager, he will work with you and the service from them has been excellent. I have had 2 3055's and love them. Their phone is 866-813-2770./ They have been Heartland dealers for a long time and I think will continue to be dealers. They also have 7 locations across Texas.

If you don't get Ben,,, Talk to Sue.

Jim M

LookN4Ward

We will also authorize any Camping World store to do warranty work.

My wife and I are going to McAllen Tx once we get our Trailer from the dealer in Eldridge IA. If we have a problem while in Texas can we take it to Camping World in Mission Tx if there is a problem?

CrazyScotsman

I recently bought a Heartland 5th Wheel at camping world in Springfield, MO. Saturday, the 12th of Sept, 2009, I brought the unit back to Springfield with an appointment to have some warranty work done. Today, the 14th, I got a call that they will no longer do Heartland warranty work. I don't know if this is only Springfield but it doesn't sound good. I had to make a 130 mile trip, one way, to get may unit back and I now have to go get it without anything getting done. Needless to say, I'm NOT a happy camper.

Take your Heartland to Great Escapes RV in Gamaliel AR, just North of Mountain Home. They are a Heartland dealer, plus great folks to deal with.

Tom of Ypsi

LookN4Ward,

If you cannot go to Camping World down in the Valley go to Ron Hoover in Donna, Tx. We have been there once and had great service.

Delaine and Lindy

Camping World.....

We use the Camping World in Katy Tx to replace a cracked wheel and they were great. As a matter of fact we use Camping World for most of our repairs all over the Lower 48 and haven't had a problem. I haven't bought a 5th wheel from them but we almost bought a Motor Home while in Camping World in Katy Tx. Camping World doesn't sell our brand of 5th wheels but I do use Camping World because they are authorized to repair thing for our manufactor. We are going to the Eastern Rally this month in Nashville and Camping World is going to install our base plate on the HHR so we can tow it behind our 5er. I would recomend Camping World and when we were Winter Texans we were in Mission Tx and used Camping World there. GBY.......

red4re

We bought our Sundance from ExploreUSA in Seguin. Camping World did not have the floorplan we wanted in Katy and really seemed to not push the Sundance or try to get us what we wanted. They just tried to sell us something else. They were not interested in us ordering a unit either.

I called ExploreUSA in Seguin and they did not have the floorplan either, but they called the Factory and one was coming off the line in 7 days just like we wanted. He snagged it and I got the unit. I had an overall good experience with ExploreUSA in Seguin on the sales side. On the service side, not so good. They had my unit in twice for warranty work, once the day after I bought it and then I returned it to them 180 miles for a second try. Then I just fixed all the leaks and the ceiling fan myself. Their service guy was really nice, but seemed way overworked and spread really thin. He was trying, but his boss was actually rude to him in front of us because he was taking too long to fix something. Tells you where their priorities are.

If you buy something - no matter where - do not leave the lot until you have thoroghly made sure everything is as it is supposed to be. Next time, I will be pulling off all the access panels and checking things out better on the PPI. Run the water for a while and make sure nothing leaks. All the problems I had could have been avoided if the Factory had better QC. And the dealer had better QC. And I knew what to look for.

red

LawReed

Its True

It is true, I was just notified that Heartland will not honor any warranty, parts, etc from Camping World. I purchased my 4012 from Camping World/Stiers in Bakersfield and am now stuck...Its just a big circle.

talley

We bought our Sundance from ExploreUSA in Seguin. Camping World did not have the floorplan we wanted in Katy and really seemed to not push the Sundance or try to get us what we wanted. They just tried to sell us something else. They were not interested in us ordering a unit either.

I called ExploreUSA in Seguin and they did not have the floorplan either, but they called the Factory and one was coming off the line in 7 days just like we wanted. He snagged it and I got the unit. I had an overall good experience with ExploreUSA in Seguin on the sales side. On the service side, not so good. They had my unit in twice for warranty work, once the day after I bought it and then I returned it to them 180 miles for a second try. Then I just fixed all the leaks and the ceiling fan myself. Their service guy was really nice, but seemed way overworked and spread really thin. He was trying, but his boss was actually rude to him in front of us because he was taking too long to fix something. Tells you where their priorities are.

If you buy something - no matter where - do not leave the lot until you have thoroghly made sure everything is as it is supposed to be. Next time, I will be pulling off all the access panels and checking things out better on the PPI. Run the water for a while and make sure nothing leaks. All the problems I had could have been avoided if the Factory had better QC. And the dealer had better QC. And I knew what to look for.

red

Red4re... you captured my experience with ExploreUSA just about word for word. Nice people but they just can't seem to get the service/repair together. Bought mine in Oct 2006 and in the next year they had three different service managers and personnel. Difficult to have good results under those circumstances during the important one year warranty pe riod. Hopefully they have it all together now. I would deal with them again....but, inquire about current quality of service.

Jerry

slick42

Well Don't by anything from Joe At Camping World Katy Tx because he probably isnt there anymore. I Just found out that Heartland isnt there anymore !!!! I needed a part and they told me to call Heartland direct because they no longer deal with Heartland !!!!!!!!!!!!!