Mobile Internet using AirCard and Mobile Router

nhunter

I am finding now that as long as I am getting "1X" then it is just as fast in or out of the city. But like jgilbert said the more bars the faster the transfer. I really notice on picture / video files when I have low bars.

navyAZ1

Thanks Guys, I have an appointment to meet with a fellow here in Merietta, GA who sells the Wilson outfits says it would be about $600 installed for the booster and an antenna.

GypsyBill

and Jennifer
navyAZ1 said:
Thanks Guys, I have an appointment to meet with a fellow here in Merietta, GA who sells the Wilson outfits says it would be about $600 installed for the booster and an antenna.

Here is a site that might save you a buck or two if you are into DIY...

http://www.primecellular.com/

They seem to have pretty good prices on Wilson stuff.... found the site on a thread on the Escapees forum..

nhunter

The install is relatively easy. Plugs into 12v lighter, internal antenna can be placed within distance of wireless device- the closer the better- and an external antenna. Comes with clear directions, might be a do it yourself?

r4man2

Power Draw of router and amplifier?

As I was getting ready for our big day (retirement Oct. 19th), I called a company that sells EVDO solutions. They recommended using a Kyocera wireless router, amplifier and antenna placed in the tow vehicle. Made sense when I was talking to them, but began to wonder about power draw on the batteries in the truck. Would I have to put a charger on the batteries to keep them 'up'. Read about someone using a small solar panel to do this. Is it a problem?

jbeletti

r4man2,

The solution EVDO recommended to you is a good one. I passed on that particular router as I needed the VPN capability in order to access my office. Most people have no need for that feature. The Kyocera fits the bill for most and it's pretty inexpensive.

As for power draw, I can share my experiences with you. I'll give you the short story answer first. Keep the router/cell booster etc. on a switched DC circuit. That way, they won't be drawing any power with the ignition key off as the circuit they are using will not be on. No power draw = no ill effect on batteries.

In less than one year, running a mobile router with AirCard 24/7, I killed my two OEM starting batteries in my RAM. Thereafter, I added a 3rd battery (AGM sealed type) and a dual battery isolator to isolate the 3rd battery from the dual charging batteries and still charge them all from the alternator. Much better.

Another thing I started to do was to move the router into the trailer once we setup camp. Mine came with a 12 volt DC adapter and a 110 volt AC adapter.

Jim

nhunter

r4man2, that is the same setup I have and it works well. We only use router when wife is with me. Power draw probably would be minimal but like Jim said will eventually toast your batteries. I guess that would depend on how often your ran your truck as well.

jbeletti

When I killed my 2 OEM starting batteries, I was using the truck as my daily driver. In less than 1 year, ever so slowly, I killed them. The weekends with the router on and truck not being run probably chipped away at the batteries ever so slowly.

My experience anyway...

Jim

kognito

We use a similar setup in our 5th. Seirra 595 connected to a router, but i also added a Wilson amplifier between the card and the antenna we mounted on the roof of the trailer.

We also use a Wilson cellular amplifier in our truck. We just drove from NJ to Sioux Falls SD, and we lost internet once in our truck. We had plenty of "bars" so it must have just been a dropped call between towers, or something like that.

It is great to be able to surf the information highway, while you are driving down the highway!;)

Doug

edit: I used primecellular for the wilson stuff, 3Gstore for the card and router

nhunter

You might find you don't need the case and can order a 110V. It looks like the booster in the case is a direct wire and I prefer the wireless. This is the one I have. The boosters are quite small and I think the case would just take up more room. I put mine behind the drivers side glove box in my F-350.
http://www.powerfulsignal.com/iDEN/WE804002.html

navyAZ1

GypsyBill said:
Here is a site that might save you a buck or two if you are into DIY...

http://www.primecellular.com/

They seem to have pretty good prices on Wilson stuff.... found the site on a thread on the Escapees forum..

All of the Wilson types state that there must be at least 50' of serparation between the inside and outside antenna, this fellow I talked with in GA said he has another unit name escapes me (digital something) that comes in a kit and it only requires 25' of separation between the antennas cost is about the same.