Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Mobile Internet using AirCard and Mobile Router

1. Print this Post   #1
    Director of Owners Interests, Heartland RVs jbeletti's Avatar

Bill,

JCD... on this forum just got his Datastorm installed in VA a week or 2 back. He loves it. Give him a shout.

Tomorrow, my gear comes in to make my truck a rolling HotSpot. With work, the forum, email etc, I decided it was time to get an AirCard. But I wanted to take it a step further so I bought a Mobile Router. 99% of the time, the Sprint (Sierra Wireless 580 EV-DO) AirCard will stay in the router in the truck and probably on. When we travel by air, we'll pull the AirCard out and take it for use in one of our laptops. The router is actually pretty easy to unplug and take with as well (110VAC and 12 VDC powerable).

Of course, unlike Satellite Internet, I am reliant on a cellular signal to connect where as you just need exposure to the southern sky pretty much anywhere in the CONUS. Pros and Cons to all methods.

Best of luck to you.

Jim

NOTE: This thread was moved from Bighorn forum for DataStorm Satellite Internet discussion
    Last edited by jbeletti; 06-20-2006 at 10:15 AM.

2. Print this Post   #2

Jim, I have the same setup with the exception of the router (I have the Kyocera KR1). Works excellent. I know some guys also use a wireliess digital booster that boosts everything in your truck for about $400cdn if you are in alot of fringe areas, but I don't have many dead spots.

3. Print this Post   #3

nhunter,

That's neat to hear that I am not a lone ranger out there doing this. I looked at the Kyocera KR1 as well. Great price.

I friend of mine uses the Wilson direct-connect cellular amplifier and loves it. That's a $265 US expense that I will put off until I determine that I need/want it. My truck is getting pretty full of gear. Finding it hard to find a spot for everything now

Jim

4. Print this Post   #4

The laptop I have has the slot for the air card but the wifes has an "express card" slot. So apparently there is no adapter from aircard to express card and that is what newer computers are switching to.

5. Print this Post   #5

nhunter,

I am now feeling your pain! Just opened up these 2 Dell laptops (one for wife, other for sister-in-law) - yup - Express Card Slot!

I'll be home in 30 minutes and sitting at the door will be a new Sprint (Sierra Wireless 580) AirCard that will not fit in these new laptops.

Good news for me that when my wide is away from home with her personal laptop (rarely), we will be together and I will carry the mobile router that will have the AirCard in it. And the AirCard will work in my Sony VAIO laptop.

Doubt w'll see any Express to PCMCIA adapters but looks like we will see some USB to PCMCIA adapters that may take the AirCards.

Jim

6. Print this Post   #6

Wife and I both have Dell laptops same model six months apart and same thing- one express, one aircard, but like like you if she is away from home she will be with me.

7. Print this Post   #7

Jim,

I am extremely interested in your setup. How does the Aircard/router know when to connect? Does it stay connected 24/7?

Joe

8. Print this Post   #8

I don't know about the router Jim got, but the Kyocera KR1 automaticly connects when the card is inserted and stays connected until it is removed or shut off.

9. Print this Post   #9

Hi Joe,

I just got back home tonight from 10 days on the road. My "replacement" Sierra Wireless 580 AirCard from Sprint is now here and I just got done activating it.

Tomorrow, I will insert it into the Junxion Mobile Router. Just as nhunter's Kyocera router does, so "should" the Junxion router keep the Internet connection active (WAN Keep Alive feature).

Once I have the card working in the router, I will tweak out the dynamic DNS service so that the mobile router and devices hanging off of it (PCs, IP cameras etc.) are accessible via the Internet.

Once I can access the router from the Internet, I will make my camera feed available and I will begin to place more detailed information on my personal web site (CarPC). Hopefully from there, you'll find all that you need. If not, you may email me with questions.

Do work with nhunter as well to gather as much information on mobile computing and mobile Internet before you make your own investment.

Thanks,

Jim
    Jim Beletti

Index of my Sundance 262 RB Modifications

Club membership is free and it's easy to join. Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

10. Print this Post   #10

Okay Jim,

I have studied your CarPC page and it is full of good information. I still have a question or two......... Is the router connected to your CarPC ? or is it a "stand a lone" project that connects to internet through Sprint and you access it's signal wirelessly through your PC or your laptop? Inother words, do you even need a car PC to make the router and card work?

Joe

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast