Cell Phone

Dave

Traveling Two
I would like to get an idea of the costs and different options on the cell phone companies used by the full timers crossing over our great country. I'm trying to figure out what the approx costs might be when we full time in a couple of years. Thanks and be safe!!

2010augusta

I have had Verizon for years, and no trouble or extra charges with full-time travel, just a regular monthly charge of $50.00 or so.

Tom of Ypsi

We also have Verizon for about $59 and we also have Verizon internet access for $59. We have found Verizon has the best coverage and we have had people ask to use our phone for calls when their service would not work. No company has perfect coverage but Verizon has the best.

HappyKayakers

If you are current or prior military, be sure to ask for your discount at the major cell phone providers. I've recv'd 15% discounts at ATT and Verizon as retired military - just showed my ID card. If you didn't stick around long enough to retire, you'll need to take in a copy of your DD214.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I really don't know how reliable the numbers you get will be. So many variables in cell phone pricing. Go to www.3gstore.com and check them out. Or call and talk to Alex at the 3G Store as he specializes in helping RVers. They have many different plans and several companies available.

silverfox

Avoid AT&T

I do know that we have had lousy coverage with AT&T. While in San Jose (east side) we were standing directly under one of their billboards with no service! I am switching to Verizon in October bases on what others have recommended.

Bobby A

We also have Verizon for about $59 and we also have Verizon internet access for $59. We have found Verizon has the best coverage and we have had people ask to use our phone for calls when their service would not work. No company has perfect coverage but Verizon has the best.
\

We have the same thing as Tom except two cell phones lines and the internet line. We have had Verizon for years and they are the best in coverage and customer service. I think our total bill is around $140.00 a month.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We use AT&T for cell service and have an old plan that is impossible to beat, but unfortunately it is no longer available. We use Verizon for air card service, at the suggestion of Alex from the 3-G store.

geeksrus

When we are in the U.S. for the winter, we use Net10.
You can get a basic cell phone & a 300 time card for $30 (I paid $40 to get a flip phone) at WalMart. I've also seen them cheaper at Target.
The time card is depleted @` $.10 for all calls in the U.S. To replenish you can buy the new time cards @ WalMart, Target, etc in many different values (300, 600, etc). Or you can download the time from Net10's website using a credit card for payment.
We have always got good reception. I wish they had this service covering Canada also.

Eh!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

DITTO! we have Verizon for everything, have for more than 4 years now...works great everywhere!

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Ditto what everyone is saying about Verizon. My company phone is Verizon and works well everywhere I've been. My personal phones are AT&T (iPhones for me and 1 daughter, regular phone for the wife) and our plan includes a bazillion minutes for about the same amount of dollars! Cell service is decent in most places I've been, non-existent in others. Internet through the iPhone is extremely slow inremote areas; when I'm in a metro area with 3G coverage, it works great.

My wife and I both have aircards through Alltel (Verizon) and coverage is superb. I had an air card through AT&T (last year) and their service was pathetic unless you were in large cities. (They ended up cancelling my contract with them because I was never using it in their own coverage areas.) I usually work in more remote locations and the Alltel card I have has been no problem at all, and it's pretty fast even out of the 3G coverage areas. In addition, we both have unlimited data plans - not 5 gig like most others. $60/month each

grizzlygiant

I do know that we have had lousy coverage with AT&T. While in San Jose (east side) we were standing directly under one of their billboards with no service! I am switching to Verizon in October bases on what others have recommended.

Wife and I each have AT&T (family plan) $49.99 total per month, unlimited calls across the continent plus international to designated countries. Coverage has been great and good service. Have had this serivice for 8 years.