7' ceiling height?

rbyham

I am looking at the M-22. Feels like it would be a good match for my 2006 Toyota Tundra DC 4wd. I highly value gas mileage and ease of pull. So weight and wind resistence are huge to me. The weight of the m-22 is awesome. Nice job. So is the rounded cowling on the front. The 80" width is also a great move. But I note the 7' ceiling clearance for the bedroom. For me that is not a plus. I am 6'2" and run a Komfort lite that tops out at 6'4" I find it very comfortable. So my question is why create all that additional wind resistence by going so tall with the m-22? Are there any plans to readdress that and create a trailer that will snuggle much more cleekly behind the vast majority of tow vehicles? Even chopping it to 6'5" would be very acceptable. Thanks.

jimtoo

Hi rbyham,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and help if needed.

I moved your post to a better place for other owners and factory people to see.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

M

Mcreech

The 7' clearance is at the peak of the roof, which is about smake in the middle...As you move forward to the bedroom area it does come down several inches....That roof is curved side to side and front to back.......The means it slopes towards the front and rear of the trailer, giving it the ability to cut throw the wind......I think you will find this trailer improves your gas milage....

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I don't own a North Trail, however I use to own a Forest River Wildcat. A much smaller trailer than the Bighorn I now own. I found that it was much easier to pull the BH as the Wildcat. I get as good of gas mileage even though the heavier BH.

I have never pulled one of the Travel Traliers only 5th wheels because of the ease and control over a tounge tow. However each to their own. I mean nothing against TT's.

I think you will find this forum to be quite good in conduct and information.

Enjoy.
BC

rbyham

Thanks for making the move of my post Jim. That is helpful. I did notice that the roof is not flat and that tapering happens both side to side and front to back. I can still see it fitting nicely behind the Tundra but in a day when I think aerodynamics has moved to very close to the top of the list for most of us, I just wondered why that additional height had to be there. Would a designer points to how it looks or would an engineer even try to make a case for stronger aerodynaics and thus better stability and mpg? Otherwise looks like a cool TT and is high on my list to upgrade the Komfort.

As far as anticipated mpg I just pulled the 17' Komfort (weight approx 3500lbs) 8800 miles round trip to Alaska and averaged 14.6 mpg. Was very happy with that in a TT that has all the amenities we needed...

Last edited:

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Thanks for making the move of my post Jim. That is helpful. I did notice that the roof is not flat and that tapering happens both side to side and front to back. I can still see it fitting nicely behind the Tundra but in a day when I think aerodynamics has moved to very close to the top of the list for most of us, I just wondered why that additional height had to be there. Would a designer points to how it looks or would an engineer even try to make a case for stronger aerodynaics and thus better stability and mpg? Otherwise looks like a cool TT and is high on my list to upgrade the Komfort.

As far as anticipated mpg I just pulled the 17' Komfort (weight approx 3500lbs) 8800 miles round trip to Alaska and averaged 14.6 mpg. Was very happy with that in a TT that has all the amenities we needed...

The M-22 is a great choice for your truck...figure it will weigh 5K loaded. I hear some folks get $7K off msrp too.

Larry77

I'm 6'3" and most of the trailers I looked at required me to "duck" under the A/C unit...the head room in the Edge was a huge selling point for me.

rbyham

Thanks everyone.... but other than the occasional "duck" which for me would be an easy tradeoff to lose 5" of wind resistence, I guess I am not seeing a lot of explanation for why 7'. I am not trying to be a pain just asking. I guess we are more minimalist than most in our approach to towing/camping and overall the M-22 or M-19 look like great options for the Tundra but I am always on the alert for ways to reduce to zero tolerance any obstruction to towing or mpg ease... still these units are on my list for a Spring upgrade...

a1avet

Liv'in on the Edge with a Vue
Well all I can say is the only 2 reasons I bought a HL Edge M18 1) Because they are "Designed to be pulled by small SUV and mini-vans" 2) Because I fit in the bed with extra room and I can walk anywhere inside and not hit my head.(I'm 6'4") So if I have shoes on I still have room and don't have to duck. In any other trailer (Exmple...Amerilite 15B 6'4" ceiling) I hit my head on lights and the AC unit with or without shoes. 7' ceiling "BONUS".

Thank you Hearland for the room. Don't change a thing..........

Access

We bought the edge M21 in May 2010. One of the selling points was the 7' ceiling. Tongue weight and overall weight were reasons we looked at the edge. Aluminum construction was the 3rd main point we went to look at them. Once I got inside I loved the high ceiling, wife is only 5'2" so no concern to her. The Window screen combination kind of cinched the deal, along with fit and finish. After towing in heavy winds gust up to 50 mph on first test drive 100 mile round trip, the 7' foot ceilings did not seem so good. Next we had a 3000 mile round trip Portland Or to Knab Ut and this year only about 200 miles to the beach in a rain storm and heavy winds again. We have averaged 7-8 mpg. No wind on those legs of the trip we got 9-10. After reading about the Honda rigs at 10-12, I dont feel bad at all. They start out at 19-22 mpg. We have only dropped 2-4. Best Ive gotten is 12. Also towing with grey water 2/3 and fresh water empty seemed to help a lot in the high winds. When we got into Seaside, I didn't know the winds were that bad, until I opened the drivers door and was almost torn from my hand. We like the M21 very much, first trailer and plan to have it many years.

Clint

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Clint, welcome to the forum. There is plenty of great information here.
Enjoy your new Edge.

Peace
Dave