winterize ice maker?

wyleyrabbit

My wife and I were discussing winterizing procedures on the way to the campground yesterday. How does one go about winterizing the line to the ice maker?

Unless I'm missing something, there doesn't seem to be any way of running the water through the line, so therefore no easy way of getting the rv antifreeze into the line either.

I must be missing something.

2010augusta

From the Heartland website:

A: For the Dometic brand ice maker

Excerpted from Dometic REFRIGERATOR BULLETIN R69/2C JANUARY 2002 DON'T FORGET TO WINTERIZE YOUR ICE MAKER

WINTER OPERATION
Your refrigerator is equipped with a heater tape wrapped around the water solenoid valve and outlet water tube. During cold weather operation below 32 degrees F (0 degrees C) the automatic temperature switch will turn the heater tape "ON" automatically. If the recreational vehicle is in storage and the DC power is turned "OFF" there will be no 12V DC present to operate the heat tape; therefore, it will be necessary to drain the ice maker. If temperatures are expected to reach or exceed 0 degrees F (-18 degrees C) the ice maker must be drained to prevent component damage and leaks.

HOW TO DRAIN THE ICE MAKER
Note: Water, compressed air and AC power are required to drain the ice maker. Draining of the ice maker must be done by a qualified service technician.

1. If the RV will not be in use for an extended period of time or put into storage, the ice maker should be drained and dried. This will prevent water from freezing in the solenoid valve or becoming stale and producing bad tasting ice.
  2. Close the shutoff valve in the water supply line to the ice maker. See figure 1.
  3. Place a shallow pan under the water solenoid valve.
  4. The inlet fitting should be removed from the water solenoid valve. Drain water from the supply line. See figure 1.
  5. Remove the plastic nut and water line from the outlet side of the water solenoid valve. DO NOT LOSE METAL INSERT FROM PLASTIC WATER LINE! Drain water from line. See figure 1.
  6. *Connect compressed air onto the inlet fitting of the water solenoid valve. See figure 1. Apply AC power to the solenoid valve by forcing the ice maker mold assembly through several harvest cycles. Remove the plastic cover from the mold assembly. The bail arm must be in the down ("ON") position. Start the harvest cycle with a flat blade screw driver inserted into the center of the small gear. Turn the gear counterclockwise, when the hold switch closes, the mold assembly will continue to operate through the harvest cycle. See figure 2. During the water fill sequence of the harvest cycle the compressed air will blow out the water trapped in the solenoid valve. Repeat the harvest cycle operation several times.
  7. Reconnect the inlet and outlet water lines on the water solenoid valve. Metal insert MUST be installed in plastic water line going to outlet side of water solenoid. Leave the water supply turned off. See figure 1.
  8. Dry out the ice maker mold assembly with a soft cloth. Place bail arm in the "UP/OFF" position.

*Note: Up to 20 PSIG air pressure can be used to clear the solenoid valve. AC power can be applied to the solenoid valve for a maximum of 20 seconds.

icemaker_fig_1.jpg
icemaker_fig_2.jpg

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Personally I don't want the antifreeze in my water supply lines for the ice maker or water in the door so I will unhook the fitting at the shutoff valve for the supply to the refer and then I have a home made adapter for my air compressor and I blow out the lines. I leave these unhooked until next year. You may want to search this forum some more I think I may have documented what I did along with pictures.

I did find my PDF file. Give this a try.

Attachments

• Refer water blowout assembly.pdf
    837.4 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:

lwmcguir

Great post, going to do the same to avoid anti-freeze that takes forever to get rid of out of the refrig, door water and ice maker

lhetsler

winterize ice maker

I bought a screw in tire air valve with garden hose threads. You can get them at most RV places. Screw it into the city water and I pump in 20 lbs of pressure and then go inside and turn the gear to cycle the ice maker thereby blowing the water out of the selanoid. I do this three times. Like others I don't want antifreeze in the icemaker.

Gaffer

Blow out ice maker line

It seems that cycling the ice maker a few times with air connected would be a lot easier than disconnectiong the solinoid and all. Am I missing something?

Gaffer

Then why the adapter at the solenoid? Just connect air pressure to the water inlet @ the docking center.

lwmcguir

You can jumper the solenoids at the back of the fridge to speed up the process. Activate each one about 4-5 times to be sure you let enough air or anti-freeze through. Faster than waiting on the ice maker or running inside and pushing the water dispenser.

Dean

I have a question. In winterizing my ice maker today, when I disconected the line going out of the solenoid to the ice maker (the hose with the little metal piece inside) I noticed that you can pull the plastic nut right off of the hose??? I no plumber but it seems there should be some type of flange that would the nut would tighten up against when you screw it on to the solenoid. We just got our new 5th wheel a week ago and the ice maker did not fill the tray up over a 2 day period. The dealer said that they are just very slow but now I'm wondering if I could have had a leak at this connection keeping it from working properly??? Is there any kind of flange on the end of this hose???
Thanks Dean Miller

jbeletti

I would think there should be a brass ferrule on the line at the end. Then a nut over it.

Others here will know for sure.

Jim

2010augusta

Dean, There is also a valve on the ice maker supply line before the refer, in some unit it is under the sink in others it is behind the UDC. That had me confused for a week trying to get ours to work.

Dean

Well there ya go:rolleyes: Guess I've still got some lingo to learn. Can anyone else who has disconnected the line from the solenoid to the ice maker tell me if there is supposed to be a brass flange on there for the nut to tighten up against (and keep the nut from sliding off)???

2010augusta

As Jim said, it should have a ferrule just like a compression fitting in your home. the metal piece inside is to keep the plastic line from collapsing when tightened.
a_188_1_1.gif

Dean

That's what I expected. I should be able to pick up the ferrule easy enough. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
Dean

Retyred

Ice maker water line

On my 2006 Grand Canyon there is a plastic ferrule on the plastic water line. My fridge came with an extra one. How do I know that there should be one on the line, mine blew off and I had water in side my kitchen. we were luckey we were inside when it happened.
Retyred

mntnman

Past Chapter Leader, SC and KY
Do I need to winterize the ice maker if I leave shore power on? I don't think that it's needed with the heat tape on the solenoid.