winterize ice maker?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Your refer is in a slide, so you do have an exposed water line.
I would winterize the whole thing.

Peace
Dave

lhetsler

I always winterized the icemaker. I pump about 30 lbs of air into the line and turn the gears on the icemaker to force it through its fill cycle until I get no more water, just air, usually 3 times.

billm

I have always done my own winterizing and questioned my dealer how to winterize the ice maker when we took delivery of our Big Country last year. They made me a jumper wire to use. It keeps the water valve open while I pump the antifreeze through the system. Once I get antifreeze out of the icemaker I remove the jumper wire and continue with the rest of the trailer. It works great and is simple to use.

danemayer

Re: winterize ice maker

They made me a jumper wire to use. It keeps the water valve open while I pump the antifreeze through the system.

Can you post a picture of the jumper wire and describe how/where it's attached. Maybe a picture with it attached.

billm

Don't have access to the jumper wire-RV it is in a seasonal campground but I will try to remenber to post a picture in the spring. It is really a simple thing to make, Its the male end of an electrical cord with two flat blade connectors attached to the other end. To use it you unplug the 110v cord for the icemaker in the fridge compartment, unplug the two connectors on the solenoid for the icemaker, plug the two connectors of your jumper wire to the solenoid and plug the other end into the 110 outlet. What it does is opens the solenoid and alows you to pump antifreeze into the unit. I have used it twice and it is easy and very safe to use. It is what the RV dealers use.

wyleyrabbit

Don't have access to the jumper wire-RV it is in a seasonal campground but I will try to remenber to post a picture in the spring. It is really a simple thing to make, Its the male end of an electrical cord with two flat blade connectors attached to the other end. To use it you unplug the 110v cord for the icemaker in the fridge compartment, unplug the two connectors on the solenoid for the icemaker, plug the two connectors of your jumper wire to the solenoid and plug the other end into the 110 outlet. What it does is opens the solenoid and alows you to pump antifreeze into the unit. I have used it twice and it is easy and very safe to use. It is what the RV dealers use.

I'm interested in making one of these, would definitely save some time. I'm surprised that the solenoid for the ice maker needs (or can even handle) a full 110V. I'm surprised this doesn't just work on 12V, especially since the icemaker will run fine on 12V.

Any idea where we could get more information on this?

Willym

The ice maker solenoid valve is a 120 vac device, and the needs 120vac to operate. (If you have a water dispenser, its solenoid valve is 12 vdc) The 120vac jumper sounds like a good idea, but the Dometic manual does warn the user not to apply ac power to the solenoid valve for more than 20 secs to prevent valve damage. When you use the procedure detailed in the manual, power is only supplied for a short time as the ice maker goes through its cycle.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
If the ice maker was never used do you need to worry about when winterizing ?

If the water supply line to the ice maker has been off and has no water in it, then you would be OK not winterizing the ice maker. BUT, If this is a new rig, you can't be sure what/how it may have been tested. I would winterize it and then leave the water supply line shut off in the future if you don't intend to use it at all. The key is getting all water out of the solenoid and ice maker mechanisms.

DavidCraker

Where would I find the water shut-off valve for the ice maker? Would it be behind the UDC? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

danemayer

Where would I find the water shut-off valve for the ice maker? Would it be behind the UDC? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hi David,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's a lot of great information here along with a bunch of friendly and helpful people.

The shut-off valve on your Landmark is probably just behind the UDC. Take down the basement wall on that side and look for the 1/4" clear tubing. You should be able to reach the shut-off valve while standing outside, leaning in.

We bought a 2013 Big Country and this is our first unit with an ince maker. I understand how and where to hook up air to the RV and to blow it into the lines, but, how do I turn the gears on the ice maker assembly to allow air through?

Also, after you use air to the icemaker do you ude antifreeze in the rest of the unit or just air?

What pressure do you limit your air compressor to?

Thanks!!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know what model your refer of, but there should be winterizing instructions in your owners manual.
I would limit the air pressure to 30 psi or less.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

dbbls59

After you remove the cover from the ice maker you will see the two gears. The small one has a screwdriver slot that will only allow you to turn one way. After you have air pressure in the line, turn it just until you see the arm start to rise, then stop and let the ice maker complete the cycle. Do this about three times and you should have all the water out of the line. You could then turn off the shut off valve to the ice maker and winterize the rest of the trailer any way you wish. I just use air to complete the process, then pour anti freeze in the drains.