New Purchase

JoeKat

Hi,

Just bought a 2010 Sundance 287RL this morning. We're doing the PDI Saturday afternoon. I plan to print out the checklist but was wondering if anyone here has any hints on what to look for outside of the checklist. I asked the dealer (Chesapeake RV Solutions) to have water in the FW tank, a TV to check the cable outlets, an electrical device for all the other outlets, jacking tool for the stabilzing jacks, and a host of others. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!! Joe and Kathy

jimtoo

Hi JoeKat,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with all kinds of good information and help when needed.

To do the PDI, I would take notes and take plenty of time. Do not rush, even thou the dealer may be pushing. A good PDI, checking everything, water, electrical, every appliance and tv connection. Make sure of the operation of all parts and accessories. And if you find a problem, make then fix it before you leave. If you use satellite tv I would take a receiver and dish and check out the cables that are in the unit. If possible even spend the night in the unit there.

Jim M

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
First thing I'd ask for on the PDI list is to pressurize the water system, it takes sometime for leaks to show up.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
First thing I would ask for is the paperwork to make sure you are walking through the one you bought. Then make sure you get all of the paperwork (owners manuals, warranty paperwork etc). If there is a check off sheet the dealer uses ask to hold that check off sheet so you do not forget anything. Anything they show you such as how to operate slides, you operate it, not them.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
GET THEM TO TURN EVERY SWITCH, VALVE, HANDLE, KNOB, DOOR, CLOSET, AND ANYTHING THAT CAN BE MOVED, TURN IT ON, OFF, PUSH IT, PULL IT AND SEE IF IT WORKS. YOU WON'T REMEMBER WHAT IT DOES NEXT WEEK, BUT AT LEAST YOU KNOW IT WORKED AT ONE TIME! TAKE NOTES IF YOU HAVE NEVER OWNED AN RV BEFORE.

ALSO TAKE A LONG HARD LOOK AT THE PICTURES BELOW, ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO GET INTO RV'ING?
//heartlandowners.org/image.php?u=504&type=sigpic&dateline=1254114891
JohnsonChili021-2-2.jpg

Before rv'ing... ...After rv'ing????.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I would also like to suggest you get the telephone number of the person doing the walkthrough so you can call them if you run into a problem or cannot figure out something they showed you. Also do not hesitate to call the service department of the dealer if you do have issues. That is why they have a service department. Many times things can be fixed or adjusted that may seem to be large problems. Also I would suggest you spend a night or two in the unit at the dealership or at a campground close to the dealership doing a trial run.

lwmcguir

Rich & Sons RV where we purchased our Augusta had one of their top technicians walk us through the entire RV. Did a great job and answered about every question I have seen on the forums. I would demand the same from your dealer if they dont offer it.

JoeKat

Thanks to all...

WOW!!!

Lots of good information here. We recently sold our 1999 Sunline TT that we bought used (1st one - pretty basic unit). Had no idea of all the different things to look for (outside of the generic checklist) on a new 5'r. Thank you all for the great information. The dealer actually told me that we will need a minimum of 3-4 hours for the PDI. That made me feel good in that they plan on spending the time to go over everything with us. They're setting us up for a shakedown real close to home too. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again to all.

Joe

jimtoo

Sounds like they are starting off the right way. Keep us updated on your adventures and enjoy the forum. We are here to help.

Also you might think of joining the Heartland Owners Club after you get settled into your new toy.

Jim M

05Winger

Welcome and congrats on your 287RL! We also just purchased our 287RL this July. We love our trailer. We had to bring our trailer back after a few uses. The first time we used our furnace, it was making a terribly loud noise. Went to find out there was a piece of plastic on the inside of the furnace. The check valve on the black water flush was actually installed backwards. Noble RV took care of all of our needs quickly. Make sure you check the air mattress on the couch bed. Ours works fine but it looks like many others have complained. Happy camping in your new 287RL! You will love it.

JoeKat

Winger,

Thanks! Never thought about the air mattress. How did you realize the check valve was installed backwards on the flush line? Did the water in the hose simply dead end resulting in no flow, or was there a backflow, leak, or a relief valve lifting somewhere?

05Winger

When you turn the water on to the backflush, you should be able to hear some thunking noises. When I tired flushing it, there was no flow at all and water was squirting around the connection.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
JoeKat,

I sent you a PM. Be sure to check it out. By the way, Tim and Jackie at Chesapeake are terrific. They'll treat you right. Check out the Virginia Owners Club, our recent rally and future plans (Cape Hatteras next April). Look in the Club section of the forum.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Joe one of you should take a camcorder and video tape the entire PDI. This way you have documented what was shown to you, how it was done and if there are any problems you can show what it was like when you picked it up.

Test all water parts. Tanks, sinks, water pump, shower, toilet. I would take a 50ft water hose, fill the fresh water tank, black tank, sink tank and shower tank until you see the water coming up. Then drain them.

That is my thoughts...
BC

JoeKat

Once again thanks to all. Geat information here. We'll be sure to to heed all advice as much as possible. There is a lot of excitement here as you can imagine (even the dogs feel it). We'll be doing the shakedown at Holiday Travel Park in Va Bch. I actually worked there about 25 years ago but haven't been back since even though it's only a bike ride away. Any comments about the place?

TanDumb

Kim and Chris
Holiday Travel Park is great. Awesome folks running it and the campground itself is beautifully maintained. Enjoy your new 5er. BTW are you guys from Chesapeake?

JoeKat

Alrighty then

Tomorrow is the big day. We drop off the truck ('05 F-250) at 0830 for hitch installation. We'll then go have breakfast/lunch. PDI is scheduled for 1230 to last 3-4 hours. Already have the checklist printed. Noted all recommendations given in this forum. We'll set up at Holiday Travel Park in Va. Beach for shakedown (about 3 miles from the front door of the house- 15 miles from dealer Chesapeake RV Solutions). Any final recommendations/hints/what to do/what not to don't do/what to say/what not to say? One more time to all....Thanks!!!