Swapping the sofa and the recliners

Elevatorman

After experiencing how limited the view of the TV is from the closest recliner, I was wondering if anyone has, or have tried to swap the position of the sofa and the recliners. I guess a tape measure would be in order, but will the slides clear the sofa when closing? Hoping to save my back with a quick answer before I go slinging furniture around!

rick_debbie_gallant

Yup, been there done that. Swapped the chairs and couch and guess what? The slides will not close. The couch is a little to deep.

When we get to Texas in a couple of weeks we will swap them around. We will be staying for several months. We DONT like the cold anymore.....
Then when we move it is no big deal to slide them back. By the way, we put those coaster things under the legs and that makes things slide much easier.:D

davebennington

We have a Landmark/golden gate and found that we could not swap the recliners and sofa and bring the slides in. After many months of looking we went to Ikea armed with a tape measure we found just what we were looking for. A sofa that fit in the rear area and still be able to bring the slides in, not only that but we also found 2 Euro chairs to replace the recliners.

My advice if you have an Ikea store give them a try.

Dave

Tom of Ypsi

The newer coaches you cannot close the slides on the coach with the couch in the rear. On our coach we can put our furniture any way we want and still close the slides.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
We have the Landmark,Mt. Rushmore and we swapped the sofa and the recliners.

Delaine and Lindy

Lazy Boy !!!!!!!!

Our experience with RV funiture, we have found that its uncomfortable, heavy and very poorly made. Every 5th wheel we have owned we have removed the RV funiture including those so call ultra-Leather recliners, what a joke. In the past we just gave it to Goodwill. However we finally decided the only way to get what we wanted in design was to special order our 5th wheel. So when we ordered we deleted the couch and recliners, it does save you some money. We use Lazy Boy Love seat re-cline away, and a Lazy Boy recliner. We don't use a couch, out Dog "Montana" uses that extra space, he isn't allowed on funiture he has his own area. All we do is turn the recliner and we tie nothing down, thanks to the center point air suspension. GBY.....

aatauses

For those of you who have swapped the couch with your chairs, any concern about blocking the LP detector (ours is on the back wall)? Will it still function properly (protect you) if we put the couch in front of it?
aatauses

dicnsan

We have an 07 Bighorn with rear living room. We switched the 2 recliners with the sofa. The only thing we have to do to insure the slide works is to take the seat cushions out of the sofa when we travel. It's tight but we have about an inch to spare and everthing works fine.

dieselsweetheart

I noticed at the Hershey RV show last month that a lot of the models were showing the sofa against the back window and the recliners on the slide out behind the kitchen table. My sister-in-law (the one with the SOB) and her DH (the other SOB, no just kidding) swapped their arrangement out one day during hurricane-like weather in Hatteras...nothing else to do, let's rearrange the furniture! I thought we should try it too, but when my DH was ready to move stuff, I changed my mind. We have a 3400RL and I love my big rear window. We like to rear-face the recliners and look out the window, especially in the fall. I don't think I'd be happy with my sofa blocking my view.

Bob Vaughn

I wanted to swap the recliners and the sofa but a quick measure with a tape and I found out that would not work.....It takes 2 men and a truck to move our recliners into position to close our slides on our 3250ts......

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Swapping doesn't work in a 3670, either. Can't close the slides and the recliners next to the dining table make it too congested. I'm replacing the (stolen) TV arm with one that also tilts, so the viewing problem should be resolved.

Northern Virginia
This thread is an oldie but goodie. Last summer at the beach we swapped the sofa and recliners. It made things a lot more comfortable and we preferred the extra get around room with the bed inflated. Of course, the slides wouldn't come in so we moved it back when it was time to come home. Any time we are staying for more than a few days now my wife wants to move them around.

If anyone finds a nice sofa bed that you can leave in the back of the coach, I would love to see it.

John

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
This was one of the things I really like about the new Key Largo, the chairs and couch are interchangeable. .

dieselsweetheart

and never say never....we swapped places in our classic 3400 BH and I do like it like that...but we also took out one recliner since it's just the two of us and we rarely use both recliners..also took out 2 dining chairs and it's amazing all the room we have...