Wet Storage Area

SilverRhino

Got up this morning ........ went to take something out of the storage compartment and I had a wet floor!

Set up outside Fredericksburg, TX for the next 10 days so I emptied the compartment and removed the basement wall panel........could not find a leak anywhere! Put a fan in the compartment to help dry it out.

Base of my UDC appears to be properly caulked so I am confused!

While in the basement.....I noticed a hose with a female connection on the end of it that was not connected to anything. I traced it back and appears to be the opposite end of the winterizing hose that is in the UDC. Shouldn't this be connected to the back of the valve that is rotated for winterizing??

fishinrvr

We had the same problem with our BH last year. It turned out the water was only leaking when the water was flowing. I would suggest you remove your access panel, turn on one of the sinks in the coach, climb in the basement with a flashlight until you see the problem. For us it was several cracked "L" brackets that connect to the 3-way brass valve that that connect to the hot water bypass. It was a 1/2" X 1/2" fitting that was easily replaced from Lowe's. Once I replaced those it's been dry as a bone. I now carry a few extra fittings...just in case.

artsbighorn

i have 2008 bh 3670rl.i had the water problem.mine were loose conn's. around the pump and in that area.we are at the fredericksburg rv park on highway st. site #58

Elder1

Not sure if this helps but I was told to be very careful when adding water to my fresh tank as any over flow will run down the side of the UDS then into the lever hole for the hot water bypass. Does this makes seance? Im still trying to figure out how to make a shield for this lever as I know I will spill when filling up that tank.

lwmcguir

I have had water enter via the lever and have to use a hose without and end to fill the tanks fast without spilling/splashing. Also had a Grey water fitting leaking that caused a puddle in the basement as well.

jnbhobe

I drilled a hole in the bottom of the UDC and siliconed a clear plastic drain line into it, now any spills go to the ground. JON :cool: :cool: :cool:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I know this may sound silly but you know when you call a service desk about your TV and the first thing they ask you " Is the TV Plugged into the wall outlet?" . Yep.. It is plugged in... Uh Oh.. the dog pulled it out..

I found water in my basement floor. It was in the middle of the floor and no indication that it flowed from some where else. Nothing above to have a leak. Mopped it up. Couple of days later there it was again.. This bugged me for a while.

Answer: Water hose from fresh water drained when I removed it and stored it in the basement. I now drain the water hoses and connect the ends togeather...

I know you drain yours before you put them in the basement too....

BC

jbeletti

...While in the basement.....I noticed a hose with a female connection on the end of it that was not connected to anything. I traced it back and appears to be the opposite end of the winterizing hose that is in the UDC. Shouldn't this be connected to the back of the valve that is rotated for winterizing??

Yes, this hose should be connected to the winterizing valve. Go ahead and connect it. I will let production know they missed one. Sorry about that.

Jim

SilverRhino

Wet Storage Compartment........No More....I Hope

Art; We are at the Fredrcksbg. KOA just East of town.

Bob; First thing I checked was the water hose that was stored and the three jugs of water......I've also been there done that!

I think I have determined that although it looks like the UDC is properly caulked......I think it was my source for the leak. The first night out must have had a leak at the connection.....over night it caused the problem. Dried everything......dried out the UDC and put a plastic bowl under the connection.....no water in bowl......no more water in compartment. Ran everything this morning to double check and no sign of a leak!

Bobby A

We had the same problem with our BH last year. It turned out the water was only leaking when the water was flowing. I would suggest you remove your access panel, turn on one of the sinks in the coach, climb in the basement with a flashlight until you see the problem. For us it was several cracked "L" brackets that connect to the 3-way brass valve that that connect to the hot water bypass. It was a 1/2" X 1/2" fitting that was easily replaced from Lowe's. Once I replaced those it's been dry as a bone. I now carry a few extra fittings...just in case.

I have been batteling water leaks back there for months now. I also have replaced two of the L brackets you described. I think now I have a very very very slow leak where the water line enters the coach (city water hook up) I think maybe that black plastic piece has a small crack in it. Not sure how to remove it because of the white screw on piece on the other end that the water hose connects to. I've done like you said and lay back there with a flash light and turn on a faucet inside and watch. I'm gonna try tearing into it in the next few days. Wish Heartland would of put a brass fitting on that connection like my last rig.

Last edited:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I had a minor one in my basement this weekend. Found the cause while DW was showering (no, I wasn't in there with her:rolleyes:). Need to re-caulk the shower between the walls and the pan.

I’ve been fighting the puddle in my basement (2010, 3055RL)for the past 3 years. Have also had 2 “paid professionals” work on it, butstill having the problem. <o:p></o:p>
Now I think it is the exterior shower; the shut off valvesare springs, the hose to handle does not seal (it’s been replaced a couple oftimes), and when the access door is closed it pushes on the sprayer shut offlever. I believe its dribbling back down the shower hose. Right now the showerhose is hanging out of the UDC port hole. <o:p></o:p>
Where ever the leak is coming from, it’s gotten to the pointthat the basement floor is heaving and buckling.<o:p></o:p>

jnbhobe

I’ve been fighting the puddle in my basement (2010, 3055RL)for the past 3 years. Have also had 2 “paid professionals” work on it, butstill having the problem. <o:p></o>
Now I think it is the exterior shower; the shut off valvesare springs, the hose to handle does not seal (it’s been replaced a couple oftimes), and when the access door is closed it pushes on the sprayer shut offlever. I believe its dribbling back down the shower hose. Right now the showerhose is hanging out of the UDC port hole. <o:p></o>
Where ever the leak is coming from, it’s gotten to the pointthat the basement floor is heaving and buckling.<o:p></o>

Get in the basement yourself while someone operates everything, you'll find it soon enough.

olcoon

We had a similar problem sometime back. Every now and then had a wet basement floor. The last time it was so bad I had to use a wet/dry vac to get the water up & then put an elec. heater in there to finish up the job. Tracked it down to the outside shower. Somehow the valve was getting turned on. Since we have never used the outside shower & probably won't, I bought some in-line valves, & connected them to the back of the UDC. The problem stopped, and if we ever decide to use the outside shower, all I've got to do is turn on the valves.

Tigersden

We just purchased our Big Country (yeah) in NY and and camped for ten days (4 locations) as we brought it home to Georgia. After the first night sleeping in our BC, I detected moisture in the starboard side of the carpeted "basement" area but attributed it to a cooler we had stored that could have leaked during the steep hill we descended to arrive at camp. Several days later, it was still moist so I used my dust buster (all I had with me) to extract most of the water out of the carpet. Next morning it was wet again. I just dropped the unit off at our local dealer in Atlanta to check it out. I spent tonight searching this forum and plan to share what I have learned here with the dealer when I next speak to them. This is kind of disappointing to have with a new unit but ... we'll get it solved I hope.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum Tigersden.
Unfortunately water leaks are pretty common. Not that they should, but they are.
Sounds like you may have a loose fitting.
When you get the rig back, be syre to check the grain fittings below the sinks.

Peace
Dave