Turn It Off Just in Case

SilverRhino

Spoke with a fellow RVer this morning......he was not a happy camper!

Yesterday they left their unit to go do some site seeing in the area and when they returned found a coach ( SOB ) that had water on the floor from one end to the other. A water line and burst causing the flood......seems that no one in the Campground noticed the water dripping from their unit so the water could have been running for as much as 7 hours! They are on their way home cutting the trip short.....hoping to be able to dry it out.

We have always turned water off when leaving the coach.....do the same when we leave the stick house......just for this reason!

jmaguire

On our last camper we had a leak at the water heater. One of the seatec fittings wasn't quite seating itself correctly. I pushed and pulled the fitting until it seated the way it was supposed to and the leak stopped. We camped 2 times after that with no issues. On the third trip I was going to re-install the access door to the water heater compartment and was just sitting there looking at it when all of a sudden I watched the tubing pulling out of the seatec fitting. While I was watching, the fitting burst. My son was outside so I yeled for him to shut the water off. We only had a small amount of water in the compartment and cleanup was short and sweet. Since then I never leave the water on when I am not present. By the way Seatec admitted the fitting was faulty and replaced the fittings that were near the water heater. I had to install them myself, but it was easy and it got the job done.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I hadn't really thought about that possibility. But with a water manifold in the UDC and a valve in the filter box, I can shut it off and be good. I do shut off the water (and the UDC valves) when we head home and leave the BH. I run a faucet to depressurize the coach, too.

Things to remember next spring, since the BH is parked for winter storage.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Sorry to hear of their problem. Ever since midastouch (Cheryl) had this same type of problem I have been gunshy to leave the water on when I leave camper, so now when we go away for any extended time I turn off the water at the spigot.

Elder1

Great advice, never thought about turning off the water but will do so from now on. Sorry for your wet mess.