Can't fill fresh water tank all the way

yooperguy

When I try to fill my fresh water tank, I can only get a little over 1/3 full, then it won't accept anymore. I was able to fill it all the way in the past. I have a 2008 Big Horn 3400RL. Any ideas why this is happening?

jbeletti

Couple of ideas.

If you have added shut-off valves to any tank vents - make sure they are all fully open when filling the tank.

There could be a dip in the fill line or in a vent line, that was not there before. That dip could have air trapped in it that the water pressure is unable to move.

Others will have better guesses/ideas than me.

Jim

tmcran

There has been a good deal posted about this problem. A search will get ya lots of info. I had to undo the fill tube and pull it stright and cut off some of it. Others run a hose down the fill hose. I'm sure you will get several fixes. An easy fix tho.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Yooperguy;

The first question is, are you sure the tank is only 1/3 full? If you are only using the inside gauge as your level indicator then the tank maybe actually full and you don't know it.

Next item, assuming water is flowing out one of the vents or fill lines before the tank is actually full, maybe the fill line and/or vent lines have a dip or sag in them. This will cause the water to sometimes back flow (burp) when filling. This will provide a false sense that the tanks is full then it is actually not full. Another issue is the tank maybe slope (pitch) such that one of the vent lines is low. After a little work on my fill and vent lines, I have not had a problem filling and/or draining my tank.

boatdoc

I keep a 2foot piece 3/8 rubber hose in the compartment where one fills the water. While filling I'll put one end of the hose against the little metal screen above the fill opening, the vent opening, and blow thru the other end a couple of times during the fill process. Sometimes it's clear and sometimes I have to blow the trapped water out of the vent line. PITS but it works.

5erWonk

I keep a 2foot piece 3/8 rubber hose in the compartment where one fills the water. While filling I'll put one end of the hose against the little metal screen above the fill opening, the vent opening, and blow thru the other end a couple of times during the fill process. Sometimes it's clear and sometimes I have to blow the trapped water out of the vent line. PITS but it works.[/QUOTE

I do the same thing each time I begin to fill, there is always water in the vent line that I blow back to the tank.

After clearing I can run my fill water full blast to full.

brunsje

Getting the camper ready for this weekend and the same old problem creeps up...I can't fill the tank more than 1/3 full! I put a smaller hose down into the tank but to no avail. I decided to give up, then I thought.....hmmmm maybe others have a SIMPLE solution! Thanks to boatdoc and 5erWonk....blowing in the vent hole worked! I went and turned the hose on higher and filled the tank right up! Love this forum!

Texasturtle

Texas Turtle
On our 2007 we had to add a line at the other end of the tank off the top then running it down with a valve underneath just like at the drain line for the fresh water tank. Works great!

lhetsler

Get one of those rubber hose attachment used for a faucet that is not threaded. They fit perfectly inside the fill port and applies just enough pressure that it blows the water out of the overflow tube which has water in it because of a low point. This things blows the water right out and fills the tank full every time. The water in the breather hose will not let the tank breathe and that is why you cannot fill it. Have used this method for two years now without an issue. This link will show you a picture. You can buy them at any RV supply place, most dealers. Before using this I had the dealer try to fix it and it just kept happening until I discovered this.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/water-thief/4690

lwmcguir

There has been a good deal posted about this problem. A search will get ya lots of info. I had to undo the fill tube and pull it stright and cut off some of it. Others run a hose down the fill hose. I'm sure you will get several fixes. An easy fix tho.

My fill hose was about 10 inch's to long as well. Cut it off and it helped. On the Landmarks or any units with two tanks the vent line must be clear. If not you will have to pressure the fill line a bit to blow it out. You should hear it venting when you are filling. If you don't then it has water in it. It may be to long as well.

Gary521

Great Forum. I was getting ready for a trip and the same thing happened to me. I checked the Forum to see if there if there was a solution and here it is. I went to the hardware store and got a piece of plastic hose that the ID was about the OD of the vent opening. A quick puff and the vent line was cleared. I could instantly hear the water running into the tank from the vent opening. Thanks - simple solution!

ChopperBill

Yes, a piece of 5/8 heater hose works great. Although I have no problem filling my tank I can hear the vent gurgling and a blow on the hose clears it up.

RollingHome

A fill adapter came with my 2011 3670BH that I picked up Nov 2009. I don't know if HL or the dealer threw it in. It has a yellow female garden hose connection and a piece of what appears to be Tygon tubing about 6" or 8" long. It fits the filler neck tightly - it's a gizmo. I filled the tank on our last trip without too much effort. However, I expected the water to come out the vent to signify the tank was full, it never did. I just believed it was full so I removed the gizmo. That's when "old faithful" gushed forth, man I got a bath. The water came out the filler neck with force. I will try clearing the vent and see what happens next time. However, what happened to me happened due to an expanded tank (ie 50 gallons in a 40 gallon tank). I am going to be a little more vigilant to make sure I don't over pressurize the tank and give myself a job to do. You guys ever hear of a similar "old faithful event" ? Tom

Doolymax

Tom,
I have had "old faithful" but not to the degree you have had. I was only a gallon or so over full. I have made a fill tube 1/2" hose clamped onto a hose fitting, which has corrected most of the trouble. When filling sometimes I have to either blow air in the screen or even ran water pressure into it as I was thinking something ws blocking the vent. Lately it fills just fine. Good Luck.

Get one of those rubber hose attachment used for a faucet that is not threaded. They fit perfectly inside the fill port and applies just enough pressure that it blows the water out of the overflow tube which has water in it because of a low point. This things blows the water right out and fills the tank full every time. The water in the breather hose will not let the tank breathe and that is why you cannot fill it. Have used this method for two years now without an issue. This link will show you a picture. You can buy them at any RV supply place, most dealers. Before using this I had the dealer try to fix it and it just kept happening until I discovered this.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/water-thief/4690

You stated 'and applies just enough pressure that it blows the water out of the overflow tube'... are you saying to apply air pressure or water pressure via the water thief?

I'm a little slow this morning!!!!!!!!!! CS

RollingHome

Noobee, I take it to mean the pressure in his tank increases because the water thief fits snugly in the fill. This excess pressure in turn blows the vent clean... However, look at my post. I too 'pressurized' my water tank and nothing came out the vent. Instead when I removed the fill hose I had a geyser. So much water came out it flooded my docking station compartment and ran into the cellar. All this time I was trying to unscrew the 6 ince port in the bottom of the docking station to drain the water. I had to stand in the direct line of fire from Old Faithful. I think my demonstration was enjoyed by all at the fill station. Kinda reminded me of a scene from the movie RV... Obviously my vent line is not working, oh well, I'll fix it. Tom

lhetsler

The pressure of the water will blow out the vent line. I have used this for years now. If this doesn't work, then you probably have a kink in the vent line. In that case, it will have to be fixed. When I fill my fresh water tank, I never leave it unattended and once I hear the air stop coming out of the vent, I know it is close and I will check to see if it is full. I camp a lot in Ohio and the campgrounds here do not have water hookups at each site, so I must fill the tank when camping here. Using this gizmo, I can fill my tank in about 10 minutes. If your vent is plugged, it could take an hour.

Last edited: