Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fresh Tank vent hoses

1. Print this Post   #1

Fresh Tank vent hoses

There are three fresh tank vent hoses all in a group under the coach. One vent hose starts draining fresh water looong before the other two while filling the fresh tank. I kind of came to the conclusion that particular vent was to tell you if the tank was half full. But, there is no shut off valves from the factory on the vents so that would not make much sense. The dealer did put valves on those hoses however because they know about sloshing and loosing water.
    Any way whats the scoop on that hose draining long before the others? And is the screened vent by the filler neck hooked up? No water ever comes out of it. We are going on our first outing tomorrow so would appreciate an answer soon. Thanks, Bill

2. Print this Post   #2
    Heartland: Director of Owners Interests jbeletti's Avatar

Bill,

Can't say if Scott or Coley will be able to get back with you before you leave, but I just wanted to add my own un-official response. Due to the height of that 4th screened vent tube next to the filler tube, with the vent caps off the others, I doubt you'd ever see water come out that 4th vent.

As to why water is only coming out of 1 of the other 3 vent tubes, I am unable to venture a guess and more certainty is what you are seeking.

Perhaps WildWind or others will know from experience.

Jim

3. Print this Post   #3

Thanks Jim. Water does eventually come out of the other 2 vent hoses but way after the first one starts to flow. I just seems that it may be coming out of the middle of the tank. Would be a good way of telling if you were half full and thats all the water you wanted. But did not make sense that there was no shut off on it so you could fill the tank full.

4. Print this Post   #4

ChopperBill keep us informed on how your maiden vovage goes. Hope you have a great trip.

Trap

5. Print this Post   #5
    This user has been banned

Jim is right, if you fill the water over full, the water runs out of the lower vents under the trailer. Some brands of trailers you can keep filling until water comes up and out the filler vent.
    Since reworking my water tank venting and lopping up the vents and down again, I can fill the tank until water runs out of the 3 vents, stopo filling and the vent pipes automatically stop draining. I drove home from Elkhart (3 hours) and did not loose a drop of water.

6. Print this Post   #6

Wild Wind were the vents long enough or did you have to extend the vents.

Trap

7. Print this Post   #7

Just filled my tank. One vent starting spewing water about when the tank was half full. The second one started a while later and the third some time after that. I have shut offs on the vents so I close each one off when it started to flow. I even slowly put more water in after they were shut off trying to get as much water in as possible. I quit before water came out the filler. What I am wondering is when I get to camp and open the vents what is going to stop the vents from draining out most of my water? Cant I just take the fill cap off and let the tank drain from there. It has more venting capacity then two of those vent hoses any way.

8. Print this Post   #8
    Heartland: Director of Owners Interests jbeletti's Avatar

Bill,

Use some water from the tank, then take off the caps. I suspect that the system should draw air from the screened vent at the filler tube while the other 3 are capped. Once you use water to below the vents, I'd think the siphon effect in those 3 would be broken (so long as you are parked at camp).

WildWind will likely know how tall (in inches) the tank is and how far down from the top of the tank, the bottom of each vent connection is. With that info plus knowing the capacity of the tank (system capacity less water heater capacity), one could calculate how many gallons you need to use before taking off those 3 caps, if filled until you are venting water.

Jim

9. Print this Post   #9

Called the factory and talked to Chris. He said it would be alright to close the vent shut offs and fill the tank until it comes out of the docking station vent. Went and proceeded to put a few more gallons in. I couldn't have put in two more gallons and I heard a pop! I now have the sagging tank! I thought this issue has been discussed and fixed! Tank is still not over flowing. I have a call in to the dealer to see if it OK to use the coach now and bring it in later. Have not got to use the BH yet. Right now I AM NOT a happy camper!

10. Print this Post   #10
    This user has been banned

CooperBill, talk to your dealer or go to a local welding/steel fabricator shop, and have them make and install a cross brace under the center of the water tank from one side of the frame accross to the other side of the frame. Heavy duty untistut works great and it can be bolted to the frame with self tapping bolts. I have a 3055 Bighorn also, tomorrow I can give you the measurement to the center of the water tank. While you are at it, you need to install a brace under the center of the Black water tank. I will get both measurements. You also need to remove the bottom covering and rework the vents and get rid of those valves and caps on the end of the vent hoses. In one of my posts (that I got in trouble for, and Jim removed some of my pictures) there are pictures of the water tank and my vent repair. I remender that before the Rally '05 some one posted pictures of their bracing of the water tank on a Lankmark.
    I could say alot more about the talk of Heartland suposedly fixing problems & things, but I will behave. After all my Bighorn is back from the service center, so that I could finish fixing it. I know that now every thing is fixed, that is until Pat & I try to go camping.

Opps! I just looked out the window at my Bighorn, it looks like one of our Misson Tires it flat.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast