Fresh Tank vent hoses

ChopperBill

There are three fresh tank vent hoses all in a group under the coach. One vent hose starts draining fresh water looong before the other two while filling the fresh tank. I kind of came to the conclusion that particular vent was to tell you if the tank was half full. But, there is no shut off valves from the factory on the vents so that would not make much sense. The dealer did put valves on those hoses however because they know about sloshing and loosing water.
Any way whats the scoop on that hose draining long before the others? And is the screened vent by the filler neck hooked up? No water ever comes out of it. We are going on our first outing tomorrow so would appreciate an answer soon. Thanks, Bill

jbeletti

Bill,

Can't say if Scott or Coley will be able to get back with you before you leave, but I just wanted to add my own un-official response. Due to the height of that 4th screened vent tube next to the filler tube, with the vent caps off the others, I doubt you'd ever see water come out that 4th vent.

As to why water is only coming out of 1 of the other 3 vent tubes, I am unable to venture a guess and more certainty is what you are seeking.

Perhaps WildWind or others will know from experience.

Jim

ChopperBill

Thanks Jim. Water does eventually come out of the other 2 vent hoses but way after the first one starts to flow. I just seems that it may be coming out of the middle of the tank. Would be a good way of telling if you were half full and thats all the water you wanted. But did not make sense that there was no shut off on it so you could fill the tank full.

Trap

ChopperBill keep us informed on how your maiden vovage goes. Hope you have a great trip.

Trap

Wild Wind

Jim is right, if you fill the water over full, the water runs out of the lower vents under the trailer. Some brands of trailers you can keep filling until water comes up and out the filler vent.
Since reworking my water tank venting and lopping up the vents and down again, I can fill the tank until water runs out of the 3 vents, stopo filling and the vent pipes automatically stop draining. I drove home from Elkhart (3 hours) and did not loose a drop of water.

ChopperBill

Just filled my tank. One vent starting spewing water about when the tank was half full. The second one started a while later and the third some time after that. I have shut offs on the vents so I close each one off when it started to flow. I even slowly put more water in after they were shut off trying to get as much water in as possible. I quit before water came out the filler. What I am wondering is when I get to camp and open the vents what is going to stop the vents from draining out most of my water? Cant I just take the fill cap off and let the tank drain from there. It has more venting capacity then two of those vent hoses any way.

jbeletti

Bill,

Use some water from the tank, then take off the caps. I suspect that the system should draw air from the screened vent at the filler tube while the other 3 are capped. Once you use water to below the vents, I'd think the siphon effect in those 3 would be broken (so long as you are parked at camp).

WildWind will likely know how tall (in inches) the tank is and how far down from the top of the tank, the bottom of each vent connection is. With that info plus knowing the capacity of the tank (system capacity less water heater capacity), one could calculate how many gallons you need to use before taking off those 3 caps, if filled until you are venting water.

Jim

ChopperBill

Called the factory and talked to Chris. He said it would be alright to close the vent shut offs and fill the tank until it comes out of the docking station vent. Went and proceeded to put a few more gallons in. I couldn't have put in two more gallons and I heard a pop! I now have the sagging tank! I thought this issue has been discussed and fixed! Tank is still not over flowing. I have a call in to the dealer to see if it OK to use the coach now and bring it in later. Have not got to use the BH yet. Right now I AM NOT a happy camper!

Wild Wind

CooperBill, talk to your dealer or go to a local welding/steel fabricator shop, and have them make and install a cross brace under the center of the water tank from one side of the frame accross to the other side of the frame. Heavy duty untistut works great and it can be bolted to the frame with self tapping bolts. I have a 3055 Bighorn also, tomorrow I can give you the measurement to the center of the water tank. While you are at it, you need to install a brace under the center of the Black water tank. I will get both measurements. You also need to remove the bottom covering and rework the vents and get rid of those valves and caps on the end of the vent hoses. In one of my posts (that I got in trouble for, and Jim removed some of my pictures) there are pictures of the water tank and my vent repair. I remender that before the Rally '05 some one posted pictures of their bracing of the water tank on a Lankmark.
I could say alot more about the talk of Heartland suposedly fixing problems & things, but I will behave. After all my Bighorn is back from the service center, so that I could finish fixing it. I know that now every thing is fixed, that is until Pat & I try to go camping.

Opps! I just looked out the window at my Bighorn, it looks like one of our Misson Tires it flat.

nhunter

I filled my water tank and had the water run out of the back three hoses, so I put valves on them and shut them. The front hose had no water run out so no valve. I have left the three valves shut and the one hose uncapped and have used almost the whole tank. Is this wrong or should I continue on?

jbeletti

nhunter,

"Continue on" as in continue filling with water? If yes, then I'd suggest no - if you have water coming out of 3 of the vent hoses, you're good to go if not at the danger point. Hate to see you pop and/or drop a tank.

Jim

ChopperBill

Called Heartland and told them of the problem and couldn't get a definite answer if it was OK to use the coach. Called my dealer and asked for service and was told the service rep would call me back. No return call. Read on this forum that there was a couple of straps holding the tank up and it wouldn't fall out. Took a jack and jacked up the sagging tank and took a motorcycle tie down strap and put it across the bottom of the frame across sagging tank and cinched it up with a power pull for insurance. I think I read a post that it wouldn't fall out of the bottom any way. Have had this trip on schedule for a couple of months. And this is the first trip with the BH. If the tank falls out you are going to see one mad SOB! Will haul it home an load up the Snowriver truck camper and head back to the camp site ( 200 miles from here).

ChopperBill

Jim Beletti said:
nhunter,

"Continue on" as in continue filling with water? If yes, then I'd suggest no - if you have water coming out of 3 of the vent hoses, you're good to go if not at the danger point. Hate to see you pop and/or drop a tank.

Jim

Sorry Jim but my rig is advertised as 75 gallons of fresh water. I am sure it is 15 in the hot water tank and 60 in the fresh tank. If the vents start spilling out when the meter reads half full I am pretty sure you are not getting your advertised moneys worth. I know lots of these rigs are used in commercial camp grounds with full hook ups but that is not how we use ours. We are mostly boondockers and I took the factory specs in consideration when we ordered it.

jbeletti

Bill,

I don't disagree - you should get your advertised fresh water capacity - however that is figured.

My point was that while filling a fresh water tank, when water starts coming out the vent tubes, I would stop filling sure sure. I mean, where would more water be able to go at that point? That's all I am saying.

Jim

ChopperBill

Jim on our Bighorns there is a total of FOUR vent hoses. Three coming out the bottom of the belly and the one at the fill point. When I filled mine one of the three hoses coming out of the belly starts flowing when the tank is only HALF full the other two start flowing at different times. So I called to ask "When is the tank full?" Chris at Heartland said it was OK to close the shut offs on the three under belly vents and wait until water comes out of the fill point vent. Never even had water come out of the fill point vent when the tank popped out of it moorings. Yes, I did pull the panel in the compartment bay and confirm there was a hose connected to the fill point vent.

jbeletti

Ah - I get ya now Bill. That is strange that water comes out of one vent tube when the tank is half full.

Jim

nhunter

Sorry Jim I should have specified that I meant, do I have to open the vents while pump or will bad things happen if I leave them shut. In regards to Chopper Bill I can't believe that the water didn't just run out aroung the fill hose but actually popped the tank. I was thinking about plugging the vents and using the fill vent, but will scratch that thought.

jimtoo

Can someone tell me why all these vents are needed????? One vent to allow air in and out of tank is all that should be needed if it is located near or on top of the tank. I just cannot understand all the vents. Maybe someone could draw a picture and explain it to me.

svd

When I dropped the under covering to look at the tank and install a brace, I noticed the tank was large, that is, taking all the space between the frame rails of the trailer, and about as long. It is a fairly shallow tank, that looks to be injection molded, so I would gues that without a vent at each corner you could easily get air pockets that would not allow a complete fill with water.