Door Side Slide Awning (not slide toppers)

mowmoney

Has anyone installed an awning on the slideout on the door side in order to give yourself more shade for chairs, etc.?

We saw this done on the Mobile Suites and are going to look into having a 12 foot two step awning installed on our Grand Canyon but were wondering if anyone else has done this or checked into having it done.

Any info is appreciated.

jpmorgan37

I just bought two window awning for my GC. I will pick them up on Monday and install them myself. I considered a full awning but decided to get the individual window awnings instead. I had them on my Sea Breeze and liked them because in some parks, I didn't have room to put out a full awning but the window awnings worked fine. It's just a matter of personal preference. The window awnings and hardware was $390.10 plus tax and they match my big awning.

Tom of Ypsi

I have seen the awnings on the MS and a couple of other coaches and really liked it but only at RV shows, never at a campground. I am going to Camping World this week, heard they have an awning sale, and see how much it will cost and if it is feasible. I am not sure if I want another automatic awning or manual. I would love to extend the outside sitting area freeing up the basement area. I spend very little time inside and it can get crowded underneath the present awning when it rains.

ct0218

John, your awnings sound like a great idea. Take a couple of photos and post them when you get them installed. Where did you order them from?

jpmorgan37

Hello Clark;
There is a RV repair shop about 30 miles from where I am. They don't sell RV's, just repairs and parts. They are A & E awnings and I just picked them up yesterday afternoon. So, if the temperature will cool down a little, I will get them installed this week, hopefully.
John

ct0218

That sounds like a pretty good price, and very practical. If it as hot there as it is here, you won't get much done! I'm in Tallahassee for a couple of days, then on to Ft Lauderdale tomorrow for a week caribbean cruise. It has got to be better than this outdoor sauna.

jpmorgan37

Hello Clark;
Well, I got busy this morning and installed them. The small window was perfect but the window over the Dining Table wasn't. The awning that they sent me was too short in overall length. As you can see, the support arm are supposed to be horizontal but they are on a 45 degree angle so after a couple of phone calls to the dealer and the wholesaler and Dometic, they are making a new awning for me and I should have it in two weeks (hopefully). So maybe by the time you get back from your cruise and settled in, I'll have some better pictures for you. Have a great cruise and be sure to take the submarine ride.
John

Attachments

• P7140026.JPG
    P7140026.JPG
    334.2 KB · Views: 145
  • P7140027.JPG
    P7140027.JPG
    313.5 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

phranc

JP and CT.. How would an awning work with the large back window . Not sure if any awning is possible due to the ladder being on the back.. Perhaps just a sun shade ... Any one have any thoughts ??

Paul & Nan

I am planning on making a sunshade for the back window of our BH after seeing some on other rigs last weekend. Will order fabric from Seattlefab.com and make one for back and both long narrow windows on the sides. Figure about 3 yards will do it, $45, and some heavy duty velcro. Nan

mowmoney

The window awnings won't work for what we want which is more outside seating area.

The window awnings are great if you're wanting to cut down on the sun coming in and warming up the inside of the trailer. And the shade(s) are for the same purpose and we've thought about getting one for the big back window as well, but haven't really gotten around to checking it out yet.

Thanks for all the replies though. I think a regular awning on the slide is a rather new(er) idea, as the one on the MS at Myrtle Beach is the first one we've seen..........

If we have it done, we'll post pics and let everyone know how/if it works out.

jpmorgan37

We have the day/night pleated shades on our back window and really like them. When the sun is bright and you still want to see out, the day shade works great. The night shade for privacy at night does the job. With the tinted windows, no shade is good when you don't have direct sun shining in. I don't think you could install a rear awning and make it work.

ct0218

We use the day/night shades all the time, they really help. I do like the awnings on the side windows, that allows you to see out and blocks the sun even better.

jpmorgan37

My bride is very happy with the (one) window awning. Where we park in Texas, the sun beats the door side of our coach so this will really be a big help.

John

ct0218

Yes, the curb side faces south where we are now, and the sun really bakes that side. An awning will keep the glass and frame from getting hot.

Tom of Ypsi

Just came back from Camping World and without looking at my Landmark they suggested putting a two stage awning on the slide itself. This is similar to what is on the Landmarks now except it is not automatic. Price starts at around $500 for a 12' awning and goes up from there. They said matching color with what is on my Landmark now will be difficult since Dometic is changing colors and doing away with the design of the present automactic awning like I have.
Has anyone heard any feedback from Heartland if it is feasible to put an awning on the slide itself? CW did say they have heard of problems with awnings coming loose from the slides but thought it was on the cheaper coaches. The sales person, manager had no actual facts to back this up just hearsay.

jpmorgan37

Just an update on the window awnings. We've been parked for several weeks now with the sun beating on the door side of our Grand Canyon. The afternoon temps have been running in the mid 90's to low 100's for the most of the time. The temperature inside has been at 73 which is where I have the A/C's set and they cycle, ie, don't run constantly. We are quite happy with them.

As a side note, several fifth wheels have come through with the two stage awning; that is both a slide topper and awning. They look good and extend out (and I'm estimating) about 5 feet. I haven't had a chance to talk to the owners about them yet.

John

ct0218

John, funny that you are giving an update on the window awnings today--Gail called me this afternoon complaining about the sun coming in the windows now that the sun is lower in the sky. She wanted to know if we could add awnings if we had the slide toppers. I told her that they would look a lot better if we could get them to match the awnings, and I thought that we could add them. Guess I have to start looking. What is the correct A&E color name for the awning?

Last edited:

jpmorgan37

Clark;
Mine were called Fawn. They are dark brown and move in varying lighter shades to white. I'm sure you can order them from Camping World. Get your window measurements and call them.
John

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Mowmoney,from your post on 7-22-06 if your were asking about installing a patio awning that you can sit under on your door side slide out, yes it can be done. I took our Mt. Rushmore to our dealer last week and requested that he call Landmark and ask if this could be done and Landmark told them yes. My dealer is in the process of installing the patio awning now. I too saw this done on a Mobile Suites at the beach and think that it will be nice to have the extra sitting space outside, especially at the beach. When we get our unit home I will try to post some pictures.