Canada Trip

We are planning a trip to Banff with our Big Horn. I would like to know if there are any restrictions crossing the border with items inside the coach (ie food and alchohol) and also pets.

yondering

Retired-Full Timer
Don't know about alcohol, but be very sure you DO NOT have any firearms or ammunition in your coach or tow rig. All firearms are prohibited from crossing the border. Too, be sure you have all documentation of shots and immunization on your pets, pets are allowed, but need to have their papers. We had a problem with the crossing in Osoyoos,Wa. the canadian side wanted to quarentine our pet till we came back. Finally got a supervisor that let us take her on in. God bless ya, travel safe, Al & Dee Weaver

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The last time I went to the Great Whit North, it was one liter of booze per person or one case of beer. Be certain you or anyone else has not had a DUI. If you have, go online and file some paper work or it will cost you at the border. Also no potatoes, or is it potatos, or beets. ???????? Go online and you can find out what is legal or not. Personally I like to buy the Canadian "bier". I have taken a shotgun into Canada, but it depends on who is at the border. I have also had a shotgun confiscated at the border although I got it back upon leaving. I think the rule is if there is a season for hunting or a shooting event it will not be a problem. Handguns are strictly prohibited. Pets need to have the proper paper work for their shots. Have fun in Canada.

Peace
Dave

smday

Do you grocery shopping up here. I have found it easier just to buy enough for the trip when we cross the border to the US and also back into Canada especially fruits and meat. Alcohol i am not sure how much you can bring into Canada but when we come back on trips it's 1.75 litres / person over the age of majority for us. Leave all fire arms at home. Bring your Passports now that it has come into full effect. Also leave any firewood at home too. The last time i camped in Banff there was plenty of Free Fire wood at the campsites. Banff is really nice. If you stay awhile also head up to Jasper. Its about another 3 hour drive from Banff and make the pit stop at the Columbian Ice Feilds. These are all nice places especially during the Summer months. You will enjoy it

CrazyScotsman

Pepper spray is also a no no
No illegal drugs.
Cigarettes you can only bring so many in, not sure what the amount is, but
i have crossed a few times with at least 3 cartons, just be honest with customs officer, and I don't think you will have much of a problem.
You will have a harder time getting back into the US than you will going into Canada, at least that's what has happened to me, could be the Brit passport and US green card.
Also be prepared to pay more getting back into US than you will going into Canada.

airedale

rabies shots for the pets.... have to be at least three months before you cross the border and within the last 3 years.....i am posting this after a bottle of red so please check the canadian border crossing web site before you take this to the bank.......after many crossings with one or more of my dogs......if they smile nicely,[the dogs] the border folks cannot get the dog cookies out fast enough.....honestly, the pups are the greatest pacifier in the world.......hope the bad guys never figure this out......:D:D:D

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
Hope you enjoy your trip up here. Don't know if you plan to go up to Jasper, Alta. as well, but it is one of the most scenic drives you'll find anywhere. I'm attaching a web site to make reservations at the Nat. Parks as they get pretty busy. You may already have found it but just in case. Doug
www.pc.gc.ca/voyage-travel/reserve/index_e.asp

Clymer

We have been several times and have taken our fur baby with no problems what so ever. We take her rabies cert and tag as well as her shot schedule from the vet. We also have the rv food of food, wine, etc etc...never any problem. Going over they hardly even look at anything...its coming back in that we are always searched. We have always found the trip to our northern neighbors to be wonderful!

bigbird272

We are planning a trip to Banff with our Big Horn. I would like to know if there are any restrictions crossing the border with items inside the coach (ie food and alchohol) and also pets.
Banff is a great place to visit. Also Lake Louise. No guns for sure. You can check on line for customs info for Canada. Banff has a great campground. It is called Tunnel Mountain. It is operated by Banff National Park. About $40 a night. You can walk into Banff or take a bus that stops right outside the camp ground. Costs a buck or two. Most sites are full service. Have a great trip. You will not be disappointed. A good idea to go to Jasper too.

Rick

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Each year whether or not I am going into Canada, I have a Certificate of Health for our dog as well as proof of shots. Never had a problem.

BC