More Newbie Questions

Wharton

Hopefully the last 2 questions(don't really believe that)-

1) Does the Big Horn have a rubber roof or a hard roof? If a rubber roof, has anyone had any problems with the roof tear due to tree limbs.

2) How many gray water tanks are there? 1 or 2? If 2, why, what goes into which one and what size is each one?

Thanks,

Sue

caissiel

It has a rubber roof, had one on the previous RV for 15 years, never had any leaks or damage. Most campground now are setup for these larger trailers, and I am careful when parking in trees.
All heartland larger models have 2 45Gal. gray tanks one for the bathroom and one for the kitchen.

Wharton

Are the gray tanks connected to each other so they stay balanced? Most of our water usage is in the kitchen, we tend to use the campgrounds shower, especially when we are on the road.

If they are not connected is it possible to connect them? has anyone done this?

caissiel

I believe the kitchen tank will dump in the bathroom tank as it is in ours.
All you have to do is keep the cover on the sewer pipe and the Black tank closed and open both gray water valves and the kitchen one will fill the bathroom one because they are at different elevation.
Make sure to shut the valves before removing the cover, I use a cover with hose plug on it and empty the filled section before connecting the hose to dump the tanks. Camping world sells a special valve that goes at the end of the sewer line replacing the cover, people have used it. lot less messy then the simple cover.

Wharton

Thanks for the input. I think this should address the last of my husbands concerns. He is resistant to a new rv(he doesn't like change) but our current one is 9 years old and we are now camping differently than when we began long term camping. I want more space and comfort for our longer stays when visiting the grandchildren.

caissiel

Our unit is 6 feet longer and 4000 lb. heavier, So far I never saw the difference in handling and pulling of the new RV. The front of the HL trailers is so efficient in the wind, compared to the other unit we had. The suspension and tires roll so much easier on the highway.