Check out this router from AirLink

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Just found this and wondered if anyone out there have heard or used them. I am interested in this to kee in the Landmark. What an awesome price for a 3G wireless N router. Already checked and it supports my Sprint USB Aircard.

Mark

mlburst1

Mark,

We've used the Airlink AR360W3G 802.11g Wireless 3G Mobile Router with a Sprint Pantech PX-500 PCMCIA card for the last three years with no problems.

The router is light weight and feels a little cheap but the performance is excellent.

The newer router that you are considering is most likely an excellent choice at a great price.

AlexSian

Mobile Broadband Consultant
Looks like Cradlepoint has some competition.
cradlepoint has always had competition, but none of them measure up (in my opinion)

i've personally tested dozens of routers, including airlink101's first 3g router... none of the routers i've tested to date, have comparable ease of use, advanced features, and most importantly -- carrier/modem support.

cjbearden

Visitor
We just upgraded our old Linksys router (purchased from 3GStore) to the Cradlepoint MBR1000 (purchased from 3GStore). Wow, what a difference in speed and 3G connection. Also purchased the Wilson Antenna and that really made all the difference in the world in our now constant connection to 3G service. Many thanks to the staff at 3Gstore.

The support and knowledge of the staff at 3GStore are worth every penny spent on excellent internet equipment. Will continue to be a customer because I know they stand behind what they sell and have always been able to answer all our questions.

Just our honest humble opinion. Remember the old adage, "You get what you pay for"!

mrcomer

Hey CJ, how did your antenna install go? Hope it went well. I know it took me a couple of hours total.

Mark

cjbearden

Visitor
Hi Mark

The antenna install is still a work-in-progress! I think all the needed tools, equipment have finally been gathered but things have hit a stall - maybe DH is working up his courage! It is a scary thing to be drilling a hole in the exterior wall. I am just sitting back letting him work at his own pace, making sure he has everything planned out.

We have just run the antenna cable through a side window for the current time.

Hopefully, I will have some 'final install' news soon!

CJ

mrcomer

I agree. I was scared to drill that hole in the rear cap but after I was done I felt pretty good. Only time will tell.

Mark

SilverRhino

What & Why

Ok......I have to ask...exactly why do you need a router??

I've seen the various posts regarding these and there antennae installs and have wondered just what the heck they do.

Just curious :confused:

mrcomer

Ok......I have to ask...exactly why do you need a router??

I've seen the various posts regarding these and there antennae installs and have wondered just what the heck they do.

Just curious :confused:
A router is a device to share your internet connection with others whether it be wired or wireless. A router can share a DSL connection, Cable connection or in my case a Sprint Aircard 3G connection. The antenna is a way for us with Aircards to get better reception. We can take it a step further and add an amplifier if we wanted to.

2010augusta

We use a wireless Linksys router for our cable Internet modem. We can keep the modem and router in the basement and still connect wirelessly with both our laptops and soon print wirelessly with a new printer.

We have not used a 3G aircard as we are in on spot long enough that using cable Internet is easy and cheap, and now is bundled with our HD-DVR service.

cjbearden

Visitor
Hey Mark

We now have a properly installed antenna!! Yeah! The hole is small and J.D. used a rubber grommet and caulked well. We will keep a check on it to make sure no moisture comes through. The router now has a nice housing in the overhead cabinet at the rear of the coach and signal is coming through great.

We use the router because we have two desktop PCs running on one air card. Saves the cost of having to buy two air cards!!!

The router is now powered by 12V (fished wiring from the light fixture next to rear window). Does anyone think we should unplug the router when we are traveling?

C.J.

jbeletti

I got one scarier - having to drill through a nice full-body paint job tomorrow for the antenna. I better wait til it's out of the factory or someone there may cry when I start drilling on it :)

bigbird272

A router in the basement. That is great idea. How do you secure it? I guess not much of a concern when you are stationary. It makes sense when the cable is sitting there and not being used.

Rick

mrcomer

I got one scarier - having to drill through a nice full-body paint job tomorrow for the antenna. I better wait til it's out of the factory or someone there may cry when I start drilling on it :)

I'd be happy to have that problem.