Hitch Type (Slide, Auto-Slide, extender)

BruteForce

So, we finally traded my Ram 2500 in for a much larger DRW truck rated at the weight for the Road Warrior 395.

Since my truck is a MegaCab with a 6.5' short-bed, I'm getting conflicting answers on the hitch type. Do I get a slider, auto-slider or extender for the RV?

Auto-sliders are $3700 installed -v- a manual slider @ $1700 installed. As I understand it, the Road Warrior already had the turning radius addressed for short-beds.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Mike Aplin

That is a very common question that we get regarding what type of hitch do I need. Here is a rule of thumb. If ones truck has a bed length of 6 ft or larger, then one does not need to go to a costly slider hitch. If it is less than 6ft. then you would need a slider. I have seen one post from a customer that owned the "Mega Cab" and they said that they didn't need the slider hitch when they purchased. Would anyone else like to comment on what they have heard out there? Thank you for joining the Heartland RV family!! Mike

caissiel

I would like to add that the lenght of the box, is a factor.
But there are trucks out there that have the axle in the middle of the box, like GM's 2500 and up and others that have the axle ahead of the middle like the Fords and Dodges. It might be a better definition by refering to the distance to the rear of the cab. which I read that 3 ft plus a few inches for clearnce to the cab, looks what HL's are good for.
That is the reason I was OK with the Std box on my previous GM and now have a Long WB Ford.
The HL's are much better, but the Dodge Mega cabs have a short distence to the rear of the cab.

nemo45

Dodge does not have a 6.5 ft. short box. It is a 6 ft. 3 in. bed or 6.25 ft. and it may be even shorter on a Mega Cab, not sure. I would highly recommend a slider hitch, we have a super slide automatic hitch and love it. While Heartland products are much better because of the design of the front cap, it is well worth it for the peace of mind. We found a used hitch that was on a Dodge and paid $800 for it and our dealer installed it for $300 and sold my old Reese hitch with the manual slider for $300. At the time I had SOB fithwheel and had hit the corner of my cab twice before I installed the Reese slider. My dealer quoted me $2200 for a new super slider installed at the time. Again, I would recommend some sort of a slider with a Dodge.

Mike Aplin

I don't disagree. I would much rather be safe than sorry. It is still cheap insurance to make sure that you are safe and have the clearance that you need. Is there anyone out there that has the Mega Cab Dodge that would chime in on this one?
Mike

branson4020

Icantre Member
I have a Mega Cab 3500. It does, indeed, have a 6' 3" box. According to the Dodge body builders site, the distance from the cab to centerline of real axle is 36.8". That distance diminshes quickly if you are on unlevel ground. I have a slider hitch. I wanted a general purpose solution, not one that depended on the front cap design of the Heartland products.

Mike Aplin

Thank you for joining in with your experience. As I said before in my earlier post, I would rather be safe than sorry. Thank you, Mike

PUG

Pug
I have a dodge 09, dually, short box, mega cab with a reese 20k non slider fifth wheel hitch in it and pull an 09 Cyclone 3950 which is about as heavy as it gets.. I took the Reese hitch out of my old Chevy short box and had it installed in the dodge. When I installed the Reese I measured the distance from front of box to the c/l of hitch ( installed on c/l of axle) on the Chevy and compared with the Dodge front of box to c/l of axle and found the Dodge was about 3" shorter. I discussed this with my installer and he said the Dodge was fine with the dually to install the 3" behind the axle which I scratched my head but he assured me the Dodge would handle it fine and not to worry as he had installed many this way.

After installation I took the trl out for a test and did so up to 80 mph. Handled fine. I then took it to a weigh station and weighed the axles which all were well within weight limits. The front axle was only a couple of hundred pounds less than when empty. We have since pulled the Cyclone from Idaho to Tucson and love the way it handles. I have turned very sharp and have plenty of clearance.

I think with Cyclones rounded corners, I could have put the hitch c/l on the axle c/l and still have missed everything fine but I have a tool box in the back of the dodge and wanted to make sure I had the clearance. Hope this helps.

Riverman

We also have a Dodge Mega Cab with a non-slider hitch. No problems turning, but if you ever need to move SOB, you may wish you had a slider.

BruteForce

We also have a Dodge Mega Cab with a non-slider hitch. No problems turning, but if you ever need to move SOB, you may wish you had a slider.

Spoke to a Heartland tech this morning and he confirmed the same. I'm still going to install a manual slider though. Never know when I'm going to get a bit jack knifed and want to slide that thing to give me room to maneuver.

Edited to add: What is "SOB" (not son of ...)

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:

BruteForce

BruteForce, SOB stands for Some Other Brand....of RV.

Peace
Dave

Thanks for that. This will be my first 5th wheel. I own a Class C 31' Motor home at present, so the vernacular is unique to each, it appears.

As for SOB, I hope I'll have this particular 395RW for quite some time and not have to worry about SOB! :D

Riverman

As for SOB, I hope I'll have this particular 395RW for quite some time and not have to worry about SOB! :D[/QUOTE]

Its all good til the fellow next door asks you to move his trailer for him
:eek:

D

dlpmx

Bruteforce you'll love the 395.We picked ours up late last summer and it's been great.Can't help with the hitch thing tho as I have a long bed Ford.

Dale

porthole

Retired
I got my SuperGlide from Tweety's, good price and free shipping.

The superglide is automatic and and works very well.

Something to keep in mind - Heartland toy haulers are 101" wide versus 96" for regular 5th wheels.

That's an extra 2.5" you have to concern yourself with when turning. And although you my be fine on flat ground, anything less than level on hard turns and you may see that extra 2.5" jump up and bite you.

BruteForce

Thanks for all the feedback. On Wednesday, I'm getting the SuperSlider installed and on Friday, we take delivery of our new 2010 Roadwarrior 395RW.

5 months in the making to get to this point.

Had to buy a new truck, negotiate the RV deal, schedule the installs and prep. my current Jayco 31SS for the trade-in.

Jellystone

BruteForce, you will really enjoy the Road Warrior. We have the 305 model & we camp every chance we get. Pulls great behind the Dodge dually and it "lives in" terrific at the campground. I also can't help w/the hitch question because I have a long bed. Congratulations on the new unit and welcome to the Heartland family. By the way, if you have'nt talked to Mike A. at Heartland yet, give him a call, he's extremely helpful & knowledgeable on these toyhaulers.

BruteForce

Got the 18K SuperGlide Hitch and P3 Brake Controller installed. I take delivery on Friday at 2pm MST.

For grins, I had them lower the Road Warrior 395 onto the back of the truck to see if it would impact the suspension: Barely any movement at all!! :D

- Brand new 2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie/Resistol Mega-Cab Dually (DRW)
- 2010 Road Warrior 395RW
- P3 Brake Controller
- 18K SuperGlide

RVLiven

I just bought 2006 3500 Mega Cab DRW and it has a B&W goose neck hitch installed. I would like to be able to buy B&W's 18K Companion fifth wheel hitch attachment for when I pick up my 2008 Cyclone 3912 next week. I'm worried about the clearance. Any of you folks have this setup? or experience with it?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
BruteForce - you didn't say what year truck the mega cab is. The new 2010 Dodge truck are longer in the wheel base therefore the bed box is a little bit bigger. We went ahead and ordered an 09 truck which we have had almost a year now. Was just at the dealership last week - saw the '10 trucks - and gosh, they are longer. Kind of glad I didn't hold off, waiting for the 10s, and took the 09.