New Family Member With More Questions

I am now a member of the Heartland family and the proud owner of a new 2009 Bighorn 3670RL, my first RV. Waiting for it to stop snowing so I can go get it from the dealer on dry roads. Thanks to all that answered my questions and helped me come to the decision to purchase a Heartland RV. Thanks also to everyone on this site and the wealth of information that is available here. It was a big help to me. This going to be my full time home for now. It is going to be parked and I am planning on blocking it every 4 ft and skirting it with 1 inch blue board insulation. I am in Western Colorado and temps have been as low as -20F. It has duel pane windows, fireplace, and 2 AC units. My incoming water line is going to be heat taped and insulated.

1) Am I going to need to get an extra heater like an Eden-Pure ceramic?
2) Will I need a dehumidifier?
3) Will a 120 gallon propane tank be large enough?
4) Pre-Delivery Inspection- I found an old thread by “jpmorgan37” Anyone have anything to add to his list, this will be my first time doing a PDI.
5) Is 1in. insulation enough or do I need to use 2in for the skirting?
6) How hard is it going to be to run extra coax cables to the living room and bed room for DVR’s and Satellite internet?

Thanks to all in advance.
Colorado Charlie

cashb

I always carry a small space heater. If you need it, you have it, it doesn't take up much room, and when it got unseasonably cold here for several weeks, the stores were out of all heaters! Better to be prepared JMHO! Also, it is often the case that electric is supplied with the site, and you have to pay for propane.. Others can chime in on your other questions. I can't say about them. Enjoy!

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
We're not Full-timers, but welcome to the Heartland family!
We do camp year-round and use ours quite a bit in the colder months. Your fireplace should take the place of a portable heater. Maybe a small one for the bedroom area if it's really cold. You'll find that the heat rises to the bedroom area, so it will be warmer than the downstairs part.
One thing we really love is the electric mattress pad on the bed. We like the room cooler for sleeping and there is nothing like climbing into the nice warm bed. Unless it's really chilly, we usually turn it down or off after we get warmed up. A Cal-King fits fairly well with some of those elastic hold-downs on the bottom. Quite a few of us have covered the bed platform with self-stick tile, lino or plastic to make the mattress slide easier when making the bed.
We haven't had a problem with humidity, usually leave the bathroom vent open a little all the time as we have the covers over them. It's not been terribly humid where we camp though, so not a true test.
I'm sure others will be along shortly with some great tips and tricks.
Congratulations on the new HL!

OwensMom

Hey Charlie, We live in Hotchkiss. Where are you. You'll love your Heartland and think about joining our Colorado Chapter of Heartland Owners Club. Sometimes it eases tension to take your first few trips with others who have more experience. we just joined and met some fun, nice people. PM us and maybe we can get together. There is a rally in Gunnison for our CO group in May. Take care, Lynn

2010augusta

1) Am I going to need to get an extra heater like an Eden-Pure ceramic?
Maybe, we like a small heat near by us just to boost the temp inside early in the mornings

2) Will I need a dehumidifier?
No, not in CO, we just started using one when we move to WA.

3) Will a 120 gallon propane tank be large enough?
For how long? during a cold spell in TX last winter we burned through 40# (10 gallons) in 3 days. here in WA it lasts a couple weeks, so 120 gallons should last at least a month if it stays very cold.

4) Pre-Delivery Inspection- I found an old thread by jpmorgan37 Anyone have anything to add to his list, this will be my first time doing a PDI.
It is a good list.

5) Is 1in. insulation enough or do I need to use 2in for the skirting?
Probably, the main goal of the skirting is to keep wind from blowing under the trailer, and trap air. A good heavy vinyl skirt will do a fine job, but foam works too.

6) How hard is it going to be to run extra coax cables to the living room and bed room for DVRs and Satellite internet?
Well, the living room is pretty easy to add a line. We have added a third coax line to the Ent. center, so we have a 2 line DVR. we keep the modem in the basement so no extra wiring was done for that. Adding a line to the bedroom would be very hard as the factory wiring is ran through the ceiling and along the top of the wall. PM or email me if you want more details on the process I went through to add the extra wires.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Welcome and congratulations on an EXCELLENT choice of rigs :D. It's been a while since I read that PDI list, but I followed it pretty close when we picked ours up. Be sure that the dealer has it connected to water and electric when you do. Check everything and spray the shower head along the inside walls of the shower, along the wall/surround joints. You'll probably find leaks. With the plumbing pressurized, pull off the rear basement wall by the UDC and look for leaks. Also check the furnace ducting that you can see. Make sure none of it is folded back on itself or resting on sharp objects, like plumbing fittings.

Unless you've been reading these forums for any length of time, be forewarned when you pull the basement wall. It will look like someone heavily involved with recreational pharmaceuticals did the wiring and plumbing. And it will probably be full of sawdust and other debris, as well.

If you're not familiar with moving a trailer, particularly a big one, get the dealer to guide you through it and practice on their lot before hitting the road. Have them show you how to hitch/unhitch, too.

As you search these forums, you can find many changes, modifications, and "upgrades" that owners have made.