Closet Rod Supports

dotken

We would like to add more supports to our closet rod, where can I purchase more of the type used in our Big Horn 5th wheel?:cool:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
dotken, you really shouldn't need more supports. Several of us have had the same problem I assume you may have had. The rod came down??
It helps to have a stud finder but try to locate the framework of the shelf above the closet rod. Align the support on a frame member and using a 1/4" drill bit, drill up through the shelf/frame. Use carriage bolts and large fender washers down through the shelf and support and secure with 1/4" nylock nuts. This should prevent the rod from falling again.
The problem is caused by 2 things. The factory doesn't pre-drill the holes for the screws used to hang the supports causing the pine to split & weaken. Sometimes the factory misses the framework with the support screws.

scotty

Ditto what Ray said and in addition I also added another rod mounted vertically in the center. I secured the rod by mounting a rod support to the floor to hold the rod straight and installed a screw threw the top . We're living in it now and working so our closest is packed. So far this works great

caissiel

My problem was that the shelve was also falling down with the rod. I have a Post on my modification that I bought a 1 1/4" rod and metal ends and screwed it in the Trailer studs on both ends.

The original was bowing out while the new one hangs straight and the shelve is also solid.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...od-reinforcing?p=110382&highlight=#post110382