Front closet rod reinforcing

caissiel

I will be installing a stronger rod on my BC tomorrow. I was at Home Depot, and found an 8 foot long strong rod and strong steel ends, and will be installing it tomorrow.
The rod and shelve is bending with all the load and I am sure a stronger rod will prevent all this bending and assure the closet will hold my DW nice clothes, since she took most of the closet LOL.
My only problem is that the rod is 1 3/8" O.D. and the intermediate hangers are for a 1" rod.
I might just eliminate them, we will see.
Need to do more shopping on this reguards.

jimtoo

Looks to me like you don't have any choice,,,,if it don't go on a a 1" rod throw it out... I'm sure most of them will be your wife's clothes,,, so it should not affect you in any way.:D

bill40

Good one Jim. Laurent we also added a support leg to the center of the shelf when I repalced the bar. I also had to reinstall the front trim to the shelf. The leg has really helped with the sagging if the shelf. I guess between all the clothes and the rough roads caused ours to break. I also added a second bar to the front closet, that will change we we get a W/D.

caissiel

Used a 1 1/4" closet rod and added some gussets on the shelf front beam. Made a center support for the rod.
Pics are as follows

One more thing, the center screw of the closet rod ends is in the aluminum stud, had to predrill to put in the metal screw in.

Attachments

• Right Side Supports.jpg
    Right Side Supports.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Center Support.JPG
    Center Support.JPG
    755 KB · Views: 65
  • Left Side Supports.JPG
    Left Side Supports.JPG
    769.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I also have a DW that manages to consume a major portion of the closet rod. It fell in on our first winter trip to southern Texas after I told hr there were way to many clothes on her 7/8 of the rod. I drilled the two holes that support each bracket thru the shelf. Anchored them with thru carrage bolts. The bolts are unnoticed in the top of the shelf and I have not had problems with a cave in since, although the DW still over loads the rod. It still does sag some, but at least it is still hanging.

Duramax1

I reinforced the strength of our closet rod by installing a vertical support between the rod and the floor.

SmokeyBare

I used 2 long Eye Bolts to add strength to a new closet rod. I removed the factory supplied hangers and drilled through that location for the bolts.

Attachments

• IMG_1151.JPG
    IMG_1151.JPG
    414.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1150.JPG
    IMG_1150.JPG
    561 KB · Views: 47