Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trailer bearings

1. Print this Post   #1

Trailer bearings

I was wondering what the general concensus is on how often trailer wheel bearings need to be repacked. My rig has two seasons of use under it's belt. Probably somewhere roughly in the neighborhood of 3500 miles total on the rig so far. None of it has been in what can be considered hot climates. Does anyone know what is considered good practice for the 2008 Bighorn? With previous trailers I was fairly maticulous with doing it but I had been told that maybe I was doing it more than it really needed.

Thanks,
    Pete
    Pete and Sharon
    Buttons (Lhasa Poo)
    2008 Bighorn 3055
    2008 Ford F250 Crew Cab Diesel

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Trailer bearings

6000-10000 miles depending on how well they are packed. You can grease them at a mid interval by spinning the tire as well. It is important to watch for grease to come out the front bearing while you slowly spin the wheel when adding grease. Some folks just grease them while the weight is on them and push the grease through the back seal into the drum area. Some seals aren't driven in correctly which can be another problem. Be sure to use a name brand double lip seal when you are hand packing or replacing the originals.

3. Print this Post   #3

Pete, I believe that the manual says 12 months or 12,000 miles, which ever comes first. Even though you have only 3,500 miles on it, after two years I think it would be a good time to repack. The benefit of this is that you will have the opportunity to get some new seals, fresh grease and inspect your brakes.
    Just my thoughts.

Peace
    Dave
    Dave and Mary
    and C. J.
    2011 Bighorn 3585RL

2013 RAM 3500, CC, DRW, Aisin
    Heartland Owners Club
    Member #1026

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

4. Print this Post   #4

I have to agree with Dave, nice time to check things out.

5. Print this Post   #5
    Founding TN Chapter Leaders-Retired Nabo's Avatar

We take our BC to a tire dealer every spring before the season starts and have the bearings packed. It's also when I have the tires rotated and balanced. This year I am going one step further by taking it to a truck tire dealership who does axle alignment just to make sure the axles are ok.
    Nathan & Byrd
    BamBam (toy poodle)
    Home State: Tennessee
    HOC #1298
    2014 Ram 3500 drw
    2015 Landmark Key Largo

6. Print this Post   #6

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    Pete, I believe that the manual says 12 months or 12,000 miles, which ever comes first. Even though you have only 3,500 miles on it, after two years I think it would be a good time to repack. The benefit of this is that you will have the opportunity to get some new seals, fresh grease and inspect your brakes.
    Just my thoughts.

Peace
    Dave
    PETE;
    Dave has it exactly right, and I know thats what he does and I do the same thing. If I can remember I'll

post the # of an SKF seal I found that is real good and reasonable. It will work on 6K and 7K axles. JON
    Patti & Jon Holbert
    PJ (Welsh Springer Spaniel rescue)
    Freckles (Welsh Springer Spaniel)RIP
    Erie,Pa.
    Heartland Owners Club #1025
    2009 BH 3370 #9E012371 Sailun S637's on 17.5 in Mod Wheels,8K Hubs, Mor-Ryde Independent Suspension, Disc Brakes, Reese Fifth Airborne, Level-up,LED Lights,awning on slideout and BU lights
    2015 F-350 Lariat Ultimate, DRW, 4X4, Max Tow,4.30 LS Gears,35K GCWR, CC, LB, Heated & AC seats
    2015 Explorer XLT Sport, 4X4, Dual Moon Roofs, 20" Wheels.
    08 Branson,MI,Rallys
    09 Goshen,PA,MO Rallys
    10 East Coast,PA,OH,Nashville,NY,ON,Illinois Rallys
    11 Cherokee,NJ,PA,Goshen,Delaware,Illinois,NYRallys
    12 Virginia Beach,PA,NY,WI,MI, Illinois,Minnesota Rallys
    13 Gettysburg, Goshen, NY, Illinois, Missouri, Iowa Rallys
    14 Urbanna, Va.,ON,PA.,Illinois, NY. Rallys
    15 Goshen,NE Regional,NY, PA, Illinois, Rallys
    16 Lancaster, SE, SC,NC,NE Regionals, ON, VA, PA, NY Rallys
    17 VA,Goshen,IL,WI,OH,MD,NJ,NY Rallys

7. Print this Post   #7

I had brake issues on my way south last November. When I removed the hub on the problem wheel I noticed the face of the brake drum was covered with grease. the hub was empty of grease and the outside bearing was barely covered with grease. Someone had greased the axles with a grease gun and all the grease had gone through the seals and dripped on the magnets and the magnets dirtied the drums. I was lucky that the lining never got greased up and I caught it in time. All 4 wheels were the same, and one seal had slipped out.

No one will touch my axles, been doing it for the last 18 years and never lost any brakes or bearings.

The proper way to grease these axles is to make sure the seals are good and both bearings are well pack, and I usually fill the void between the bearings.

When greasing with the Greasegun you need to rotate the wheels so as to pump the grease with the inside bearing and pass the grease on to the outside bearing. The outside bearing is the one that is most important because its the smallest.
    Barbara and Laurent, Retired teacher and maintenance/engineering,Full Timing
    Mods: Hydraulic selector valves, Queen bed, heavier front closet rod, W/D door swing changed, 2" rear hitch. 2" pin box hitch.Added build in water filter, Replaced HW Tank Fittings. Modified 2 ceiling vents. Relocated shocks to 60deg. 9/16" U-bolts and spring plates.Center 7500 lbs Scissor Stabilizer Jacks. Hawkshead TPMS. Reinforced kitchen sink supports.More supports and longer rails to couch drawer. Modified bedroom steps for storage. Modified landing gear jacks, etc.
    2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Use ScangaugeII for Economy, available 60 XGauges and Scanner, Fuel Pressure Gauge, Max Energy by Hypertech set at 85HP for cooling, torque and economy. ELC Coolant and Filter and EGR cooler deleted. 2 added 1300lbs each spring plies, Fuel mileage 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. 6.2" din2 touch screen car Radio with DVD, TV, CD,SD,USB, GPS and Rear Cam,

8. Print this Post   #8

I recently had my bearings done with 6K miles on the rig.....The bearings were good, but the brakes needed work, so I was glad we had it done before our trip north through Oregon.
    Bob, Jane, sometimes Chris & Megan
    Yellow Lab Roxy
    2008 Bighorn 3055RL #9063
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD 4X4

9. Print this Post   #9

Thanks all. Sounds like it would be a good idea to at least geive them a good inspection.
    Pete and Sharon
    Buttons (Lhasa Poo)
    2008 Bighorn 3055
    2008 Ford F250 Crew Cab Diesel

10. Print this Post   #10

I agree with most of what has been stated about this matter.

There are a few issues that I have found with greasing the axle bearings. The inner seals do a good job most of the time but they have leaked on my trailers causing grease to get on the drums. I don't trust the easy-lube system at all. The idea is good but the inner seal must be tight for it to work or the seal will allow grease to go into the drum instead of lubricating the bearings. It wouldn't be as serious an issue if the trailer didn't have brakes as found on smaller utility and boat trailers. Also, filling the void between the bearings with excessive grease may cause some of the grease to escape through the inner seal and onto the drum from centrifugal force.

Although there may be plenty of grease within the axle after a year or two, it may be contaminated with dust and other abrasive particals that will accelerate the wear on the bearings. I think the axles should be disassembled, inspected and repacked each year or two (if very low mileage) to assure safe operation of the trailer. The seals should be changed every time the bearings are repacked and earlier if leakage is detected. Double lipped seals are better than single.

Along with the bearings is a thorough inspection of the braking system at the same intervals. The linings wear, the mechanism gets rusty and out of adjustment, the drums get dirty inside and the brake wires may be worn through the insulation and ready to cause a short.
    2005 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 CC LT 6.6 LLY Short Bed, 19.5" Rickson Wheels & Michelin XZE 225 G rated tires front, Michelin XDS2 rear tires, Brake Smart controller, Air-Lift Bags.
    2006 Landmark Shenandoah

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast