Heartland Bighorn Travel Trailer???

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Lin & I went to visit some friends in an RV Park at Naval Air Facility, El Centro, CA. Our friends took us on a tour of the base and we noticed several Bighorn Travel Trailers. We were told they were rental units. I guess I'm wondering if these are specialty trailers only available for commercial use.

It was a good visit though, We got to see the Blue Angels doing practice runs and are planning to return for an Air Show next month. On the way home we visited Slab City. As soon as I can, I'll post some pics of an interesting place to dry camp near the Salton Sea. This California weather is fantastic.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Aw, Naval Air El Centro, CA. I remember it well. I spent a year there one weekend. When I came back from Viet Nam I was stationed at MCAS Yuma, AZ and we conducted a couple of training exercies over at NAS El Centro. Remember the Salton Sea area too, although I'm sure I wouldn't recogonize the area now. I'd be willing to bet the area has "grown up" a bit since I was there in the late 60's.

I do remember the weather in February was darn nice during the day though. A little chilly at night but sure nice during the day. Enjoy your time there Ray. I'm sure it's a lot nicer than wintering in Wisconsin.

Keith

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Ray, I believe that the Bighorn travel trailers were FEMA trailers. I saw one a couple of weeks ago at Falcon State Park in Roma, TX. This one was purchased frome FEMA for less than 3 grand and the current owner paid less than 8. They have no holding tanks.
For those that have never seen one........

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_1000 - Copy..JPG
    IMG_1000 - Copy..JPG
    233 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1002 - Copy..JPG
    IMG_1002 - Copy..JPG
    320.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1001 - Copy..JPG
    IMG_1001 - Copy..JPG
    341.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0999 - Copy..JPG
    IMG_0999 - Copy..JPG
    310.8 KB · Views: 66

jbeletti

Hey gang,

I contacted Tim Hoffman, co-founder and co-owner of Heartland on this to make sure I got it right. Heartland did not product any RVs for FEMA, nor did we build anything to FEMA specs. During Katrina, FEMA bought up anything on lots they could get their hands on. When that happened, dealers had a hard time getting replacement stock as many manufacturers were building FEMA spec units. During that time, we built Bighorn TTs for dealers that needed them. Now, it's entirely possible some dealers sold our product to FEMA, but nothing made by us for FEMA or to their specs.

Jim

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I retract my statement.....but in my defense, I did state "I believe that". Have mercy on me.The FEMA info is what I got from the current owner. Third hand info I guess is not always accurate.

Peace
Dave

jbeletti

Hey - no problem Dave. I know RV makers are very sensitive to association with FEMA and I wanted to know what our real involvement was with the Katrina effort. So I checked it out :)

On another note, wish you could have made it to the event at Ron Hoovers in Donna today. It was a lucky day for Rockport. Ask Rick G.

Jim

jimtoo

Yep.. lucky day for Rockport,,, Rick G. got to meet me and he is taking the good experience back to Rockport..... Oh... I think he won a prize also... and I ate ,,,, no,, Jim B ate your hamburger...:D

Jim M

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Yep.. lucky day for Rockport,,, Rick G. got to meet me and he is taking the good experience back to Rockport..... Oh... I think he won a prize also... and I ate ,,,, no,, Jim B ate your hamburger...:D

Jim M

Love your sense of humor Jim. Can't wait to meet you in Nashville.