Fiber Glass Caps

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Re: Fiber Glass Caps - Update

Nothing like hand waxing your rig to allow all the flaws to come out! I did get many of the swirl marks out and they look pretty darn good now! Thanks for all the suggestions!

BUT...I just did the rear cap today for the first time. What I found was a very damaged but repaired rear cap! There were several big holes and a couple of smashed edges. All had been repaired (probably at the factory) and the repairs look like they will last however...the paint doesn't quite match. You can't see it from 10 feet but get up close and the repairs become obvious!

I guess it gives the rig some character but it sure seems unfair to spend all that money on something brand new which we really liked (still do) and find it had holes punched in it and repairs that don't match. Kind of like getting a factory second or something for full price!

The photo is not the best but you can probably see this hole repair! There are three others like it!

Clickable thumbnail

I had a crack on my rear cap and got it repaired a couple of years ago under warranty. While getting it repaired (at RV Capital) I was told that the caps sometimes will have an air bubble or defect in them when they come out of the mold. Rather than throw them away they repair them. He showed me a couple of places on mine that had been fixed also. I would have never seen them if he didn't point them out to me. I guess that is something the industry has to do to stay profitable.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Does anyone have an opinion on a product called Gel Gloss, supposed to be a cleaned/wax

I have used this product for years on our hot tub. It woked great in that application. Didn't work very well on our Keystone 5ver and I was afraid to try it on our new Heartland.

mesteve

I used a claybar on my last car, WORKS WONDERS! I don't know if I woul dwnat ot claybar an entire trailer tho, just sayin. Its kinda tedious work.

SilverRhino

Does anyone have an opinion on a product called Gel Gloss, supposed to be a cleaned/wax

Bought a can of this product to use on our previous, SOB 5er. Still have about 2/3rds of a can in the cabinet.....going to the dumpster tomorrow, now that I have been reminded! Have tried on 3 or 4 different fiberglass products and was not happy with results on any......I use the 303 protectant after a good scrubbing with Dawn dish soap. I wash my unit every time we return from a trip, prior to putting it into storage. Just my observations.....

Travel Safe!