Pin Box Maintenance

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Wanted to share our experience regarding pin box maintenance.

Upon preparing the Bighorn for the upcoming travel season I noticed some rust had formed by the pin box. I contacted Heartland Customer Service for their expertise as it appeared that the pin box had moved from it's original position. The following day I received a call from Eric at Heartland Customer Service who had shared the pictures with a representative from Lippert. The consensus of opinion was that the pin box had in fact moved. As the bolt holes are elongated, there is the possibility for some movement if the proper torque is not maintained on the pin box bolts. According to Lippert, the bolts should be torqued between 90-110 ft. lbs in order to avoid any movement of the pin box during travel. Their recommendation was to further loosen bolts on the pin box, move it back to the original location, tighten and torque the bolts. In our case it was very apparent where the original location was and easily replaced. The moral of the story, be sure to make the pin box bolts a part of your regular maintenance schedule.

I would also like to thank Eric, Heartland Customer Service and Lippert for their prompt response to my inquiry.

Attachments

• 100_1192..jpg
    100_1192..jpg
    528.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 100_1193..jpg
    100_1193..jpg
    667.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 100_1195..JPG
    100_1195..JPG
    739.8 KB · Views: 98

kinports

This list of items to check is getting so long I dont know when I will have time to camp. I am beging to wounder if the cyclone i bought was a good idea. It sounds to me that heartland should lose lippert. From having to check nuts on spring and axle to bolts on the pin box. Its sad to spend so much money on something to that has so many major problems. Just my 2 cents.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Debbie, thats interesting. Mine have never moved. I did install a Mor/Ryde pin box shortly after we got the BH but it's been almost 3 years now. I will check to see if they have moved now and then. Bob

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
kinports,

I so hope that you continue to enjoy your Cyclone as we continue to enjoy our Bighorn. The purpose here is to bring to light the necessity to check these things from time to time. "Preventitive maintenance" is and will forever be a necessity to ensure a long healthy life for your RV. Compare it to changing your engine oil to contribute to engine longevity. The same hold true here.

wyleyrabbit

Does anyone know off-hand what the socket size required to tighten the pin box bolts would be?

Also, to do that, do you need to remove the pin box cover?

Cheers

Jim-n-Leslie

Debbie -
Another checklist item... After reading your post, I went out and checked mine. I see I have four bolts on each side of the box. Two towards the front and two towards the rear on each side behind the cowling. Am I looking at the right bolts you are referring to whose bolt holes elongated?
Jim

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Hey Jim,

There are four bolts on each side so I think you are looking at the same bolts.

Just to clarify, the bolt holes in the frame are elongated during manufacture.